and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest The Mandreks

Emmigrating to Australia.....newbie.

Guest The Mandreks

Hello all!

We have made the decision to emmigrate to Australia! I am Australian anyway, after living 14years in the UK! My husband is British and we have a 9month old daughter. We are 'with child' again and are hoping to emmigrate before the baby is due in November...hoping anyway!

A couple of questions:

1. We are just about to lodge the application for my husbands Spouse Visa (how long did it take you?)

2. My husband is a self employed Electrician, does he need to complete Vetassess or can he be assessed once we are out there?

3. How long does it take to get the medical for my husband? (I have put him on a strict diet LOL)

Any advice would be appreciated...:unsure:

The Mandrek Family!!

Hi guys,

I cant help you with any of your specific questions, but welcome to PIO. I'm sure someone will be along soon to give answers!!

Melanie x:wubclub:

Terry(43),Melanie(42),Ciara(14),Ruairi(10)

Started to look into PR Oct 08, 175 CSL visa lodged 4/7/09. Visa granted 14/1/10, Arrived in Brisbane 24/08/10 !!!!!:jiggy:

Hi guys

I too am an Electrician, its a hard route but worth it!!

Its taken us two and a half years to finaly get here!!!

Good luck

Agent appointed March 2008, TRA SUCCESSFULL 8/8/08 (Electrician) MODL 175 LODGED 28/8/08.. PCCS received 13/2/09, Meds done 18/2/09.OFF CSL 16/3/09..Applied Qsld SS 19/3/09..Qsld SS APPROVED 18/6/09..VISA GRANTED 23/7/09..Validated 13/12/09..Moved 6/6/10.

Hi The Mandreks

What visa are you applying for? If you are applying for a spouse visa current processing times state 3 - 4 months from date of initial application to completion. We applied for ours in February and are hopefully waiting to hear this month. I am British and my husband is Ozzie and we have 2 children. We have been living in the UK for the last 6 years and heading home this year hopefully.

We got our medicals done in London and there was only a 2 week waiting list. Very quick and painless but our children had to have medicals too even though my OH is Australian. You can of course apply for an Au passport by descent but this takes a while and is more expensive! Easier when you get there I think. We chose to put our children on my application because it doesn't cost any more!

If you are applying for a spouse visa your OH does not need a VETASSESS but he may need to get his qualifications validated once in Oz.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Becky

Dyslexia NSW www.dyslexia-nsw.com.au

Guest The Mandreks

Thanks everyone for your advice. Its very much appreciated! :biggrin:

Regarding Medicals....does anyone know the criteria on weight because my husband is slightly overweight. I strict diet is now in order, but we are unsure about the weight requirements?? :err:

Kerry, Shane & Jessica (9mths)

Guest The Mandreks

Any thoughts on 19stone? Husband is very stockily built and muscular though....:huh:

Guest ragdoll annie

I did my spouse visa in OZ..i'm English, Hubby OZ...he lived in UK 14 yrs also, like you. Our son who was 10 got his Citizen by descent visa within 3 weeks of landing in OZ and no medical required.

Annie x

Guest The Mandreks
I did my spouse visa in OZ..i'm English, Hubby OZ...he lived in UK 14 yrs also, like you. Our son who was 10 got his Citizen by descent visa within 3 weeks of landing in OZ and no medical required.

Annie x

Hi Annie!

Very Interesting!! How long ago did you get the spouse visa done? It would seem the waiting is less if applying over there?

Any thoughts on 19stone? Husband is very stockily built and muscular though....:huh:

It would depend on whether he is 5ft 3 or 6 ft 5. :biggrin:

Seriously, calculate his BMI, if he is in the morbidly obese area then he could have to undergo extra tests or something. However it is very unlikely that his weight will be a bar to immigration, particularly on a spouse visa.

Guest The Mandreks
It would depend on whether he is 5ft 3 or 6 ft 5. :biggrin:

Seriously, calculate his BMI, if he is in the morbidly obese area then he could have to undergo extra tests or something. However it is very unlikely that his weight will be a bar to immigration, particularly on a spouse visa.

Thanks for your reply!!! He's 5ft 10 and we have just worked out he would be in obese class II category.....certainly doesnt look it though! Muscle weighs heavier than fat right? He is aiming to lose a few pounds nonetheless. Fingers crossed about passing the Meds re weight, no other issues on the medical front thank goodness! :biggrin:

Thanks for your reply!!! He's 5ft 10 and we have just worked out he would be in obese class II category.....certainly doesnt look it though! Muscle weighs heavier than fat right? He is aiming to lose a few pounds nonetheless. Fingers crossed about passing the Meds re weight, no other issues on the medical front thank goodness! :biggrin:

Exactly and the doctor knows this, I am sure if he feels he needs to lose a few pounds this is worth doing anyway but I am sure there is nothing to worry about re medicals.

Guest The Mandreks

Re Medicals....... does my husband go ahead and book them/do them.... or do we wait for someone to let us know when to do them?

Many thanks :biggrin:

Hi Annie

You said your son got his visa in Oz - did he go on a tourist visa originally? I never thought about this option and not to have to pay the medical would have been great!

Becky

Guest ragdoll annie
Hi Annie!

Very Interesting!! How long ago did you get the spouse visa done? It would seem the waiting is less if applying over there?

Hi The Mandreks,

I got my spouse visa 5yrs ago, and it was about 6/8 weeks from lodgement to grant if i remember correctly.I had to have both UK and OZ police checks, and i had my medical done in Sydney(we lived not far from the CBD at the time)...everything went pretty smoothly with no hiccups. Our case officer said that because we had been married a long time before application,it wouldnt take long to finalise and we didnt need to attend an interview or anything like that. Whether the rules have changed since then, i wouldnt know for sure so always best to check.

Annie x

Oh..and our son had already got his Citizenship by the time I lodged my application..hope this helps.I notice i used the word 'visa' in my previous reply..i apologise..it was a late night lol..x

Guest ragdoll annie
Hi Annie

You said your son got his visa in Oz - did he go on a tourist visa originally? I never thought about this option and not to have to pay the medical would have been great!

Hi rebrol,

Yes..both our son and myself went on a tourist visa originally..i shouldnt have used the word'visa' as such for our sons Citizenship(i was tired when i wrote it lol).

We applied for the Citizenship by descent in the first week of landing and i know he got his certificate within 2 weeks of doing that.I dont know whether age has anything to do with it but he didnt have to have a medical.He was 10yrs at the time. Hope this helps.

Annie x

Re Medicals....... does my husband go ahead and book them/do them.... or do we wait for someone to let us know when to do them?

Many thanks :biggrin:

You can do it either way. You can get medicals done or you can wait for CO to ask for them. The only difference is that your initial entry date to Au is linked to them - they are usually valid for a year and so your initial entry date has to be before they expire!

Becky

Here's the guidance that Panel Doctors are giving on BMI:

Body mass index (BMI)

A grade if BMI 16–40.

B grade if BMI<16 kg/m². Consider clinical reasons, for example, TB, cancer, malnutrition.

A grade if BMI>40 kg/m² and there is no evidence of complications.

B grade and refer to physician if complications of obesity are known or suspected. Report to address nature and severity of complications, treatment needs, and fitness for travel and stay in Australia.

http://www.immi.gov.au/gateways/panel_doctors/conducting_medicals/instructions/panel-doctors-instructions.pdf

So aim for a BMI under 40 to avoid more (expensive) tests and worry! Lots of folk dieted before the medical (myself included).. :o)

Guest The Mandreks
Here's the guidance that Panel Doctors are giving on BMI:

Body mass index (BMI)

A grade if BMI 16–40.

B grade if BMI<16 kg/m². Consider clinical reasons, for example, TB, cancer, malnutrition.

A grade if BMI>40 kg/m² and there is no evidence of complications.

B grade and refer to physician if complications of obesity are known or suspected. Report to address nature and severity of complications, treatment needs, and fitness for travel and stay in Australia.

http://www.immi.gov.au/gateways/panel_doctors/conducting_medicals/instructions/panel-doctors-instructions.pdf

So aim for a BMI under 40 to avoid more (expensive) tests and worry! Lots of folk dieted before the medical (myself included).. :o)

This is great info..... thank you!