Visa Capping - Senate Inquiry

Guest Aussie2B

Done.....sent to the following:

• Senate Inquiry
  • Local MP
  • Opposition Leader
  • Family First
  • The PM (my daughter did it in her own style........:biglaugh:)
  • 774 ABC Melbourne Talk Back Radio (774 Mornings)

Also got a support from our local church communities and many friend as they are also raising their concern by sending their letters.

Keep the faith up.....GOD Heals---We are HIS Tools :hug:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Senate Inquiry

• Local MP

• Opposition Leader

• Family First

Also got a support from our local church communities and many friend as they are also raising their concern by sending their letters.

There you got the answer to your Questioning Status Msg huh!?

Guest Gollywobbler
I sent it directly to the minister

Hi luyaoqin

What, exactly, have you done, please? Have you uploaded or e-mailed your submission directly to the Senate Inquiry as well as sending it to the Minister for Immi or have you sent it to the Minister alone, please?

The Senate Inquiry Committee will not see what you have said and you want them to hear unless you either upload your submission on-line or you e-mail it to the Inquiry Secretary, in accordance with the link below:

Parliament of Australia: Senate: Committees: Legal and Constitutional Affairs Committee: Migration Amendment (Visa Capping) Bill 2010

The Minister's staff take no notice of anything that they receive from members of the public anyway. The Minister does not even see what a mere visa applicant wishes to tell him to his face or in any other way. His staff do not bother about the content of what the visa applicant has said either. The Minister's staff merely forward the incoming material to DIAC.

So if you want the Senate's Inquiry Committee to read what you have said, you MUST send your submission to the Inquiry as well, please.

If anybody reading this post knows anything about IT, please could you have a look at the sub-link about uploading submissions on-line? I've never done this. I made a submission about the migration treatment of people with disabilities but the instructions back then were to e-mail the submission to the Inquiry Secretary.

I don't have Adobe Writer on my own machine so I sent my submission as a Word document. The Inquiry Secretary's staff turned it into a PDF document before they published the submission on their website.

Is it possible to upload a Word document with this new on-line system, please?

Many thanks

Gill

Guest luyaoqin
Hi luyaoqin

What, exactly, have you done, please? Have you uploaded or e-mailed your submission directly to the Senate Inquiry as well as sending it to the Minister for Immi or have you sent it to the Minister alone, please?

The Senate Inquiry Committee will not see what you have said and you want them to hear unless you either upload your submission on-line or you e-mail it to the Inquiry Secretary, in accordance with the link below:

Parliament of Australia: Senate: Committees: Legal and Constitutional Affairs Committee: Migration Amendment (Visa Capping) Bill 2010

The Minister's staff take no notice of anything that they receive from members of the public anyway. The Minister does not even see what a mere visa applicant wishes to tell him to his face or in any other way. His staff do not bother about the content of what the visa applicant has said either. The Minister's staff merely forward the incoming material to DIAC.

So if you want the Senate's Inquiry Committee to read what you have said, you MUST send your submission to the Inquiry as well, please.

If anybody reading this post knows anything about IT, please could you have a look at the sub-link about uploading submissions on-line? I've never done this. I made a submission about the migration treatment of people with disabilities but the instructions back then were to e-mail the submission to the Inquiry Secretary.

I don't have Adobe Writer on my own machine so I sent my submission as a Word document. The Inquiry Secretary's staff turned it into a PDF document before they published the submission on their website.

Many thanks

Gill

Oh, I sent it directly to Evans' email... I will send it again following the link above. Thanks for your reminding...

Guest jigish

Many thanks

Gill

It is much easier on my mac, but on windows you can try following tools, to convert your word file to PDF. However, I haven't used them personally.

PDF Converter — #1 Free PDF Creator — PrimoPDF

CutePDF - Create PDF for free, Free PDF Utilities, Save PDF Forms, Edit PDF easily.

Guest Gollywobbler

• Senate Inquiry

• Local MP

• Opposition Leader

• Family First

Hi All

yc1ten, I am not singling you out in any way but you did not read the rules before you sent your submission to Uncle Tom Cobley & All, it appears......

The Rules are below:

8. A submission to a committee becomes a committee document, and must not be disclosed to any other person until it has been released ('published') by the committee.

Parliament of Australia: Senate: Committees: How to Make a Submission to a Senate Committee Inquiry

Cheers

Gill

• Senate Inquiry

• Local MP

• Opposition Leader

• Family First

Anyone thought of getting this across to Channel 7's 'Today Tonight' or Channel 9's 'A Current Affair'?

In my opinion, this will be a really good medium to show the inhumane behaviour by Australian government. This will also show Australians that the process of residency in Australia is not as easy as 'getting a plane ticket and landing in' - as this what most Australians think!

Guest Aussie2B

Hi Gill,

First of all, thank you SO much for taking the time to write a submisson on behalf of all of us here on PIO. I will write my own as well, but wanted to send an extra thanks your way!

Could you please also mention the Family Sponsored applicants? In my case, I am being sponsored by my brother who I miss dearly every day. Aside from spending a huge amount of time and money to finalise my application and getting the help of an Australian based agent to make sure it's all gone by the rules, it's the opportunity of being reunited with my family while happily working in my nominated occupation that has kept me going for all this time.

My family has been contributing to the Aussie economy for years now and therefore tick all the boxes to be able to sponsor a skilled family member to come and join them Down Under and start a life/career of their own. It's just so unfair to take that option away from them, after years and years of investing in/contributing to Australian society... just as it is equally unfair to the applicants themselves who tick all the boxes just as much and have every intention to work hard and now might not be able to move closer to their missed relatives.

I'd greatly appreciate it if you could mention this in your submission.

Thank you Gill.

Guest adrianyts
Hi Gill,

First of all, thank you SO much for taking the time to write a submisson on behalf of all of us here on PIO. I will write my own as well, but wanted to send an extra thanks your way!

Could you please also mention the Family Sponsored applicants? In my case, I am being sponsored by my brother who I miss dearly every day. Aside from spending a huge amount of time and money to finalise my application and getting the help of an Australian based agent to make sure it's all gone by the rules, it's the opportunity of being reunited with my family while happily working in my nominated occupation that has kept me going for all this time.

My family has been contributing to the Aussie economy for years now and therefore tick all the boxes to be able to sponsor a skilled family member to come and join them Down Under and start a life/career of their own. It's just so unfair to take that option away from them, after years and years of investing in/contributing to Australian society... just as it is equally unfair to the applicants themselves who tick all the boxes just as much and have every intention to work hard and now might not be able to move closer to their missed relatives.

I'd greatly appreciate it if you could mention this in your submission.

Thank you Gill.

Good day Gill,

Hello, in behalf of what Aussie2B mentioned,I am in the similar situation as well. My sister had been positively contributing to the Australian economy for the past 5 years as a doctor without any complains. She too was shocked about this news...

I had been talking about migrating to Australia with my sister as a honest and genuine professional to be a part of the Australian community and contributing to the economy work force for the past 4 years.I had worked hard to be a top graduate student in one of the Group of Eight(Go8) university and had always dream to work as an engineer in Australia and to reunite with my sister.

On another note,I personally wish to thank Gill for all the effort and understanding towards our situation.

Thank you,

Adrian

let us do the calculation for DIAC. assuming 2000 au dollars per applicant and 170,000 applicant in the pipe line. if DIAC cap and cease all of them, it will cost them 340,000,000 at least, let alone the cost of lawsuit attracted by this. the rud gov will be looking at yet another huge debit in their balance sheet.

don't just say how much you have contributed the oz economy; do mention that you will bring DIAC to court and fight to the end if they axe your application.

Hi All

yc1ten, I am not singling you out in any way but you did not read the rules before you sent your submission to Uncle Tom Cobley & All, it appears......

The Rules are below:

Parliament of Australia: Senate: Committees: How to Make a Submission to a Senate Committee Inquiry

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

Don't worry...I did not write the same letter for all of them.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

The National Interest - About

Peter Mares is the journo in the link above.

Following the changes of 23rd September 2009, Peter Mares was - I felt - the only journo who really took the predicaments of the prospective migrants to Oz seriously and who listened to - and aired - what they wanted to say.

Migration applicants stuck in two-year limbo - The National Interest - 30 October 2009

Mr Mares then invited the Sinister for Immigration onto the program, to tell his own side of the story as well. The Sinister wriggled. He got DIAC to send a written reply:

Response from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship - The National Interest - 6 November 2009

Mr Mares persisted, politely but firmly, and got the Sinister on to the program in the only interview that the Sinister has ever given about GSM visas to anyone who might not lap it up and write it down obediently instead of nailing the bloke's feet to the floor:

Immigration Minister responds to backlog concerns - The National Interest - 13 November 2009

Tcillic and everyone else with rellies in Oz, I would URGE all of you to contact Peter Mares as soon as you can. Please tell him what you have said on Poms in Oz.

People like SHANOZ - I reckon that you should contact Mr Mares as well. Tell him about the distress that the situation and the uncertainty are causing to loved ones in your home countries as well as other people telling him about the distress being caused to the loved ones in Oz, as well as to the visa applicants themselves.

Say something else in your submissions to the Senate Inquiry, in the same way as yc1ten has done. If the Sinister can split a few hairs then so can I and so can all of you, frankly.

I'm watching to see what else comes out of this thread and then I will start drafting my submission.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Good day Gill,

Hello, in behalf of what Aussie2B mentioned,I am in the similar situation as well. My sister had been positively contributing to the Australian economy for the past 5 years as a doctor without any complains. She too was shocked about this news...

I had been talking about migrating to Australia with my sister as a honest and genuine professional to be a part of the Australian community and contributing to the economy work force for the past 4 years.I had worked hard to be a top graduate student in one of the Group of Eight(Go8) university and had always dream to work as an engineer in Australia and to reunite with my sister.

On another note,I personally wish to thank Gill for all the effort and understanding towards our situation.

Thank you,

Adrian

Hi Adrian

Do you think that your sister would be prepared to talk to Peter Mares herself? If would be brilliant if she could, I suspect.

In one of the Hansards, either the Minister or Mr Metcalfe asserted that the Aussie Government can allegedly prove that family-sponsored skilled migrants to Oz tend to have poorer outcomes in Oz than the ones who do not have family members in Oz.

A doctor in Oz, pleading on behalf of her engineer brother, would shut that criticism straight up, it seems to me.

Cheers

Gill

Guest shaman
I don't think IT is in oversupply.

that's what we all thought for chef's , hairdresses, cooks ect.

Guest shaman
let us do the calculation for DIAC. assuming 2000 au dollars per applicant and 170,000 applicant in the pipe line. if DIAC cap and cease all of them, it will cost them 340,000,000 at least, let alone the cost of lawsuit attracted by this. the rud gov will be looking at yet another huge debit in their balance sheet.

don't just say how much you have contributed the oz economy; do mention that you will bring DIAC to court and fight to the end if they axe your application.

Minister know very well that there will be court cases if he goes ahead with the axing and that is why he is taking it through the parliament ,Mind you if passed as a bill in the parliament then what the minister does becomes with in the law.

Guest jigish

that's what we all thought for chef's , hairdresses, cooks ect.
Then why don't you hear anything about capping for IT?

Guest Gollywobbler
Then why don't you hear anything about capping for IT?

Hi Jigish

I don't know anything about IT. I can only vaguely understand the machine on my desk so it follows that I haven't got a clue about commercial IT systems.

Apparently the old SOL included a number of IT specialties that do not seem to be on the new SOL. I think that Web Developer might be in this group. Apparently, Web Developers are definitely not in the new SOL. If they are on the old SOL then it is possible that the Minister for Immi might chop visa applicants off at the knees if their nominated occupation is Web Developer.

Not many British applicants have nominated Computing Support Technician because the training in the UK for that occupation does not translate into TRA's Uniform Assessment Criteria. Presumably several applicants from other countries might have nominated this occupation and/or it might be something that one could study whilst on a Student visa in Oz. Computing Support Technicians are not on the new SOL either, though, I am told.

I think it is too soon to be comfortable about the idea that the Minister would not slash & burn unless one is either a medical professional or an engineering professional, I suspect.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Jane1991
no, all 885 apps holding bvA which means u have to wait onshore and once u leave OZ with bva, u can not get back again.

if you want to go back ur country for some reason, u will get a bridging visa B which normally give you 1~3months, you have to go back OZ before deadline, and meanwhile your application may not move in pipeline or processed.

It happened on some of our friends

I consulted a RMA and I was explicitly advised there is nothing in the legislation that prevents a person from going offshore after applying for 885. The only two conditions are ( onshore at the time of application and granting )

BVA expires if you go offshore but the processing continues ... You have to come back onshore just like 175 applicants have to go offshore for visa grant as advised by CO

The application may not move even if you are onshore ... it depends on the priority group ....

I think I need to research more :anisanta: hasn't the Xmas come early

Guest Gollywobbler
I consulted a RMA and I was explicitly advised there is nothing in the legislation that prevents a person from going offshore after applying for 885. The only two conditions are ( onshore at the time of application and granting )

BVA expires if you go offshore but the processing continues ... You have to come back onshore just like 175 applicants have to go offshore for visa grant as advised by CO

Hi Jane

If you go offshore on the strength of a BVA, you might not be allowed to re-enter Australia at all. If you get a BVB first then at least you are certain of being allowed to re-enter Australia.

Apparently DIAC have been letting people go offshore for up to 6 months at a time on BVBs.

However, the Minister for Immi has now come out of the woodwork. He wants to lose GSM visa applicants from his backlog or he would not have tried to introduce his iniquitous new Bill.

It could well be that from now on, BV holders in Oz will be advised to cling on to being in Oz as if they were limpets and not to scream out in pain if the Minister tries to tread on their hands in order to shake them off onto a plane out of the place somehow.

Cheers

Gill

Guest jigish
If they are on the old SOL then it is possible that the Minister for Immi might chop visa applicants off at the knees if their nominated occupation is Web Developer.
By 'at the knees', do you mean applicants with poor IELTS scores? If yes, then what about applicants with 7 bands in all sections? Will I survive on the chopping board?

I think it is too soon to be comfortable about the idea that the Minister would not slash & burn unless one is either a medical professional or an engineering professional, I suspect.
So you are suggesting all applicants except medical professionals and engineering professionals are at risk? I'm sure that was just cynical argument, I think only trade professionals are at risk, if you have a look at all DIAC announcements, parliament speeches or news articles.

Anyway, today I learned that how hard it is to give bad news to a parent who has a weak heart.

Damn you, Australian Government. Take us or get rid of us. To hell with your changes month after month. Why don't you choose a day to drop your big bad atomic bomb, rather than these tiny missiles.

BTW, I am already having thoughts about which bike I'm gonna buy to go to work in my home country, India. :P

Hi there, first of all thanks to Aussie2B for starting this thread and thanks so much to Gill for offering to send a submission on behalf of PIO members.

I'm sure we can all talk about our frustrations with the whole process and the constant moving of goalposts. This has given many people false hope and cost an awful lot of money. In particular, the recent changes with the priority processing, the CSL and then having an SOL with occupations from the recent CSL missing even though the occupations on there were "critical"! Gill I have no doubt that you will be able to summarise all of this in your response...however I'd like to also make the following points which I hope will be listened to by the Senate.

My OH and I have worked in our nominated occupations for at least 10 years, we have always been employed and earned good salaries from this (therefore contributing a lot of tax & NI to the UK system plus spending our earnings in the UK economy). In our skills assessments and visa application we had to supply CVs & references which show this, we also demonstrated our hard work & effort in achieving academic & professional qualifications. We would be devastated if our application was scrapped simply because of the occupation not being on the new SOL...I would hope that the DIAC/Minister would look deeper than the occupation code and see that we are hard working individuals with a wealth of skills and experience that we can bring to the Australian economy. we haven't taken advantage of the system to get an easy ticket to Australia so please don't penalise us to make a political point.

Everything we have done in the application process has been in good faith and based on the information available from DIAC at the time. Both my siblings and their children are Australian PRs and we want to be close to them. We don't expect to get a free ride - we will work hard and contribute to system when we are there.

There's a whole lot more I could say but it would be very emotive and I’m not sure any attention would be paid to this.

Thanks again Gill and let's hope no-one on this forum suffers from this proposed legislation.

Jo

Guest jigish
Apparently the old SOL included a number of IT specialties that do not seem to be on the new SOL. I think that Web Developer might be in this group. Apparently, Web Developers are definitely not in the new SOL. If they are on the old SOL then it is possible that the Minister for Immi might chop visa applicants off at the knees if their nominated occupation is Web Developer.

Presumably several applicants from other countries might have nominated this occupation and/or it might be something that one could study whilst on a Student visa in Oz. Computing Support Technicians are not on the new SOL either, though, I am told.

Cheers

Gill

Recent IT graduates are still eligible and they are on new SOL list. I think you might wanna check the following link.

http://sol.professional-year.com/images/stories/Navitas-Professional-Year-Program-New-SOL-FAQs-for-IT-Graduates-.pdf

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi jigish

Anyway, today I learned that how hard it is to give bad news to a parent who has a weak heart.

Is your parent all right, hun? That is a million times more important than anything else. Where is your parent? In Oz or in your home country, please?

I think that the Minister definitely has Aussie-trained migrant tradies in his gunsights.

I think he also has some of the generalist occupations such as "Business and Informatioon Professional" in his gunsights as well. Handily, slashing and burning that one would get of almost all of the foreign solicitors and barristers, since that is the occupation that they commonly choose.

It is impossible to say where the axe might fall but two things are for sure:

1. Australia cannot manage without extra medical people; and

2. There wouldn't be any mainstay Aussie economy to protect if it were not for the engineers who have historically dragged a struggling, arid desert up off its knees and made it viable for most people to live in the place. Those engineers are now busily engaged in dragging resources out of the ground or designing irrigation projects or whatever.

Cheers

Gill

Archived