Carpentry and Joinery in the Gold Coast

Guest Rickard Family

Guest Rickard Family

I know its to late in the day to start worry about it now as we are flying out on the 29th June to the Gold Coast, but can anyone tell me what the Carpentry and Joinery work prospects are like there and wage to expect. Have any Carpenters or Joiners recently moved out and struggled to find work, just would like to know what to expect as things are beginning to become a little bit real now. Where it has took us over 2 years to get our finally get our visa it still has not sunk in and Im one of these people who it will not sink in what I have done until the plane lands in Oz then I will panic !!!!!!! Ive been self employed for over 12 years and always found work even through are recession but Oz is the unknown, no contacts ! Can anyone please reasure me I am doing the right thing for my family as I have 4 kids and a wife to house and feed in an unkown country. I better stop now as Im scaring myself even more now! :eek: Thanks Clinton.

Guest steve the spark

hi clinton

most of the chippes i know live down here and work in brisbane, thats not to say that theres no work here just more in brissie, give us a shout closer to your arrival and i`ll get a couple of chippes numbers and you acn ask them direct as to where the work is and whats been payed

regards steve

Guest Rickard Family
hi clinton

most of the chippes i know live down here and work in brisbane, thats not to say that theres no work here just more in brissie, give us a shout closer to your arrival and i`ll get a couple of chippes numbers and you acn ask them direct as to where the work is and whats been payed

regards steve

Thats great to hear, cheers. Will contact you soon. Steve the spark, are you an electrician because my brother is hopefully soon to follow and he will be probably be asking the same question for electricians. Thanks Clinton.

Guest steve the spark
Thats great to hear, cheers. Will contact you soon. Steve the spark, are you an electrician because my brother is hopefully soon to follow and he will be probably be asking the same question for electricians. Thanks Clinton.

yes i`m an electrical contractor in the gold coast :wink:

Guest Rickard Family
I know its to late in the day to start worry about it now as we are flying out on the 29th June to the Gold Coast, but can anyone tell me what the Carpentry and Joinery work prospects are like there and wage to expect. Have any Carpenters or Joiners recently moved out and struggled to find work, just would like to know what to expect as things are beginning to become a little bit real now. Where it has took us over 2 years to get our finally get our visa it still has not sunk in and Im one of these people who it will not sink in what I have done until the plane lands in Oz then I will panic !!!!!!! Ive been self employed for over 12 years and always found work even through are recession but Oz is the unknown, no contacts ! Can anyone please reasure me I am doing the right thing for my family as I have 4 kids and a wife to house and feed in an unkown country. I better stop now as Im scaring myself even more now! :eek: Thanks Clinton.

Are there any more chippies out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hug:

Guest J-inOz

We have moved up from adelaide because of poor job prospects. We have been here 8 weeks now and things are really dire. We have the paper delivered so that the other half can ring about any jobs that are in the paper as soon as possible. Sometimes up to 70 people have rang about the same job. There are a few adverts in (mainly Wednesday and Saturday) The other half has sent his CV off to all the building company's, put adverts in the paper, up on notice boards and put his advert in the yellow pages. He has had 2 phone calls and 1 interview in 8 weeks.

With all the building work going on around us, you would think there is loads of work, but the only work advertised is mainly in Brisbane. My other half has everything you need, like licences, insurance, white card etc but still nothing. Sorry to paint a bad picture but that is how it is for us.

Guest Rickard Family
We have moved up from adelaide because of poor job prospects. We have been here 8 weeks now and things are really dire. We have the paper delivered so that the other half can ring about any jobs that are in the paper as soon as possible. Sometimes up to 70 people have rang about the same job. There are a few adverts in (mainly Wednesday and Saturday) The other half has sent his CV off to all the building company's, put adverts in the paper, up on notice boards and put his advert in the yellow pages. He has had 2 phone calls and 1 interview in 8 weeks.

With all the building work going on around us, you would think there is loads of work, but the only work advertised is mainly in Brisbane. My other half has everything you need, like licences, insurance, white card etc but still nothing. Sorry to paint a bad picture but that is how it is for us.

Is your other half a chippie. I have been told although we are moving to the Gold Coast I will have to travel to Brisbane to get work, no different to me as travelling to London here. Hopefully my wife will work and I can be house husband.:wink: Clinton

Guest brooksey

I was going to say the same but then you get shot down as being a negative poster.

Everyone saying work is worse now than last year.

Guest J-inOz

People can shoot me down all they like but I am saying it how it is for us. If anyone can say any different, I would be glad to hear about where all the jobs are.

Hubby is resigned to the fact that he would have to work in Brisbane but he can't even get a job there. I really didn't want to have to play the anti pom card but sometimes I think that may be the case with some of the companies. A lot of them ask you to leave a message when replying to their ad. I am sure that once they hear the voice, you are discounted immediately. On the other hand the odd few would prefer to employ poms because they know that their work is much better.

Guest brooksey

I havn't received one single reply after leaving hundreds of phone messages.

Sent out hundreds of emails and letters and had one responce saying no thankyou.

Guest kazza

My oh is a bricklayer, And although he has managed to get work they don't want to pay what he is worth and hasn't had a 5 day week since before Xmas it can even be as little as 2 days Any work he has been getting has been in Brisbane and some times along way past Brisbane, Can make things very stressful

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news !

Maybe chippies are in higher demand.

I have heard it said ,that there is more work in Melbourne than on the gold coast

Guest J-inOz

The thing is though, there are houses being built all around us on Pac Pines. There is obviously more tradies than there is work.

The other half is talking of returning to adelaide. We came here because he was constantly in and out of work there too.

It really does make me laugh when they say there is a skill shortage.

Guest I.C.F.

As the other posters have said it is really dire here at the moment. I have a friend (glazier) who has only just got a job since November - personally we couldn't have survived! Work is very scarce and wages crap! Have a friend who has just gone back after 2half years - a chippie. Another mate is probably going back at the end of the month.

Also, don't under estimate the journey to Brisbane (if you do fine employment there) especially if you live at the South End of the coast. Hopefully things work out for you but be prepared financially! good luck

Archived