New thread about Oz-please contribute and assist my therapy

Guest guest36762

I agree. It is nice to have a bit of two-ing and fro-ing, at least its not bland.

Oh and have you changed your username or am I getting confused, again.

Wendy

Yes I have Wendy- not for any other reason other than I didn't want anyone who is not part of this forum reading about the decisions we have made and being able to identify me (if that makes sense- we have family in Oz and at the mo things are rather sensitive)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest30038
Lol- but you can get boneless chicken thighs and never seen them in the UK

A lot more moist and tasty than breast.

kev

Guest nicola c

i was never someone that thought england was the best thing since sliced bread and when my husband berated it, never once did i call him a whinging aussie. now i'm here terribly homesick, with no friends i'm a whinging pom. i do miss the english sense of humour and openess. i don't find aussies particularly open people. i work in a hospital where i'm very much austracised for being english and when they actually spoke to me and found out my husband has italian heritage "ohh so your husbands not aussie he's a wog" was their reply even though he was born in melbourne.

i've been here 7 months now and i desperately want to like it, as my husband wants to stay and with the job situation back home i dont feel like we can go back. i don't know mentally if i can take the isolation from people that actually give a damn about me.

Guest proud2beaussie
when they actually spoke to me and found out my husband has italian heritage "ohh so your husbands not aussie he's a wog" was their reply even though he was born in melbourne.

Unfortunately there are some aussies who have that attitude,but I personally think that it's dying out,most sensible people treat people with respect,but yes there are some ignorant aussies.

It's a shame that you don't seem to be happy here,you sound like you are trying to give it a good shot,you mention not having friends here,have you thought about attending some of the get togethers that are organised here on PIO? perhaps if you were able to spend some time with some of your countrymen you may feel a bit better?.

good luck.

Guest nicola c
Unfortunately there are some aussies who have that attitude,but I personally think that it's dying out,most sensible people treat people with respect,but yes there are some ignorant aussies.

It's a shame that you don't seem to be happy here,you sound like you are trying to give it a good shot,you mention not having friends here,have you thought about attending some of the get togethers that are organised here on PIO? perhaps if you were able to spend some time with some of your countrymen you may feel a bit better?.

good luck.

hi nigel,

i've looked into some of the get togethers but unfortunatly as i'm a nurse and work shifts i haven't been able to attend but i'll keep a look out for any that come up in the future.

Guest proud2beaussie

I really feel for you Nicola,I adore Australia but totally understand how you must be feeling,especially if as it sounds,your workmates are not being supportive,it must be very hard for you so you have my understanding.

I sincerely hope you are able to make some new friends soon and that you will soon start to feel a bit more positive about being here,there are lots of get togethers organised through PIO so keep an eye out for them,and remember that PIO is always here for you.24 hours a day.

Good luck,keep your chin up and try to keep smiling (I do understand though that maybe easier said than done):hug:

Guest guest36762
How do you know what uk people live on regarding tv, to make a statement like that you should have the facts, tv in uk is not just about the above shows, they have the best drama's modern and period, documentarys, some of the best writers, actors in the world, even the advertisments are better, most game shows they create are sold round the world, even the presenters, people who read the news, just a different class, this is not a competition against aus tv and uk, its just a fact UK wins hands down.

I find this very one sided and unfair. You haven't taken into account quality home grown aussie drama such as Water Rats, All Saints, Underbelly and Blue Heelers,

Only then can you conclude (without any need for personal opinion) that aussie telly is TOILET

I find this very one sided and unfair. You haven't taken into account quality home grown aussie drama such as Water Rats, All Saints, Underbelly and Blue Heelers,

Only then can you conclude (without any need for personal opinion) that aussie telly is TOILET

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

So true!

I love Australia but the TV is rubbish. UKTV on Foxtel is my saviour!

Guest guest36762
BTW the UK tv ratings for the period ending 16 may were:

1 BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT (SAT 2001) 10,604 2 CORONATION STREET (MON 2030) 9,947 3 CORONATION STREET (MON 1932) 9,735 4 CORONATION STREET (THU 2031) 8,600 5 CORONATION STREET (FRI 2029) 8,437 6 CORONATION STREET (FRI 1932) 8,388 7 EMMERDALE (THU 2000) 7,597 8 LEWIS (SUN 2003) 7,173 9 EMMERDALE (MON 1900) 7,073 10 EMMERDALE (THU 1900)

1 HESTON'S 80S FEAST (TUE 2102) 2,855 2 LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION (THU 1959) 2,779 3 COME DINE WITH ME (SUN 1959) 2,474 4 SHAMELESS (TUE 2204) 2,449 5 DERREN BROWN INVESTIGATES (MON 2202) 2,348 6 EMBARRASSING BODIES: KIDS (FRI 2100) 2,236 7 THE RESTORATION MAN (SUN 2102) 2,216 8 HOW THE OTHER HALF LIVE (THU 2102) 1,903 9 JAMIE DOES...THE FRENCH PYRENEES (WED 2101) 1,886 10 DEAL OR NO DEAL (TUE 1611)BBC1 was

1 EASTENDERS (MON 2000) 8,857 2 BBC NEWS SPECIAL (TUE 1916) 8,725 3 EASTENDERS (THU 1928) 8,473 4 EASTENDERS (FRI 2000) 8,468 5 EASTENDERS (WED 1929) 7,690 6 DOCTOR WHO (SAT 1824) 7,063 7 OUTNUMBERED (THU 2130) 6,751 8 TEN O'CLOCK NEWS (TUE 2200) 6,478 9 HAVE I GOT NEWS FOR YOU (THU 2100) 6,218 10 CASUALTY (SAT 2102)

QUOTE]

Good grief man, how bored were you to post this?

Guest JulieW

All you need to know is that Neighbours and Home and Away are regarded as drama.

Even sports fans are treated with contempt by Australian TV channels. Matches are taken off air with minutes to go so that the news and 'dramas' such as Home and Away can be shown, even an Australian Open tennis match featuring Australia's number one player!

Can't wait to watch Wimbledon in the UK this year, where there is a choice of matches to watch on ADVERT-FREE stations!

Guest proud2beaussie
Good grief man, how bored were you to post this?

Not at all actually,was replying to Byrned who questioned me when I gave an opinion that UK television watchers prefer a diet of Coronation Street,Eastenders etc,so I posted the ratings figures in support of my view.

Guest guest36762
All you need to know is that Neighbours and Home and Away are regarded as drama.

Even sports fans are treated with contempt by Australian TV channels. Matches are taken off air with minutes to go so that the news and 'dramas' such as Home and Away can be shown, even an Australian Open tennis match featuring Australia's number one player!

Can't wait to watch Wimbledon in the UK this year, where there is a choice of matches to watch on ADVERT-FREE stations!

uh huh, wimbledon (wimbelton as pronounced by many australians) vs the Ozzie open tennis is a good comparison.

On one side, ad free. Bliss. Actual tennis coverage without any bull****.

on the other...this telecast is brought to you by Toyota (oh what feeling!), Mitsubishi (love that car!), macdonalds (I'm lovin it!), TAC (drink drive, bloody idiot! I'm not sure if this is a simple instruction followed by a complement), intel (dun dun dun dun!), McCain (Ah McCain your've done it again!) deliberate misspelling based on another common aussie mispronunciation.

By this stage your've lost the will to live let alone watch the biased coverage of no hoper Leyton Hewitt whilst Andy Murray is progressing to the final

Oh and whilst on sport. Last year's coverage of the Ashes on foxtel was initially enough to make me want to bash the telly with my cricket bat...........the likes of studio pundits Mark Waugh (smug + contemptuous) and co who thought it was business as usual, just another series of pommie-bashing, grouse

Oh but how I laughed when I watched his smug face churn Gordon Brown-like when he had to find complements for England as they BEAT AUSTRALIA

is it still raining?

Guest proud2beaussie
whilst Andy Murray is progressing to the final

No good making it to the final if you lose though.

Making it to the final and losing is no better than going out in the semi finals(apart from the fact that the pay cheque is a bit bigger)

Guest guest36762
No good making it to the final if you lose though.

Making it to the final and losing is no better than going out in the semi finals(apart from the fact that the pay cheque is a bit bigger)

TOUCHE (how do you find an accent aigu on a qwerty keyboard?)

Guest proud2beaussie

Murray is a damn good player though,no doubt about that and he will win plenty of matches/finals.

BTW I agree about biased sports coverage,I hate it,even if it's Australian,but it happens everywhere,go to the US and try to find any sports coverage of international events that the US are not competing in-they don't show them!

Guest chris955

You can get them in Sainsburys and Tesco's, probably other places as well. :wink:

Lol- but you can get boneless chicken thighs and never seen them in the UK

Guest guest30038
Do you mind Chris- boneless chicken thighs was top of my 'good things about Oz' list

you've just well and truly rained on my parade- Ill have to find somehing else to like now....!

Try IGA cumberland sausage :biggrin:

kev

Oh to be sure! The only thing that I'm sure of is that you can't find a decent sausage here..........it must be true............so many members have stated it :wink:

kev

Oh, you silly sausage you, Kev.

Guest itskaren
Not at all actually,was replying to Byrned who questioned me when I gave an opinion that UK television watchers prefer a diet of Coronation Street,Eastenders etc,so I posted the ratings figures in support of my view.

Oh no!!! You're talking about fact, fiction and opinions again!!!

Guest itskaren
i was never someone that thought england was the best thing since sliced bread and when my husband berated it, never once did i call him a whinging aussie. now i'm here terribly homesick, with no friends i'm a whinging pom. i do miss the english sense of humour and openess. i don't find aussies particularly open people. i work in a hospital where i'm very much austracised for being english and when they actually spoke to me and found out my husband has italian heritage "ohh so your husbands not aussie he's a wog" was their reply even though he was born in melbourne.

i've been here 7 months now and i desperately want to like it, as my husband wants to stay and with the job situation back home i dont feel like we can go back. i don't know mentally if i can take the isolation from people that actually give a damn about me.

:hug: Don't let the buggers get you down. I live in Melbourne. Happy to go for a coffee anytime ..

Archived