Cost of Living on the Central Coast - The Reality!!!!!

Guest narrabeen

Guest narrabeen

Hi All,

Am just wondering if all you Central Coasters could possibly give us Wannabe Central Coasters a clearer picture of the cost of living there????? :confused: Week to week living, monthly outgoings etc etc. Eg. Electricity, Gas, Phone, Childcare, Health Ins., Car Ins., Contents Ins., AirCon etc etc. :arghh: I know alot of the above will have variables, dependent upon family size, location, plans you go for, servers etc etc, but I think just a rough guideline would be good and we could average it out.

FYI - we are four - one school going - one infant - one car family. ANY INFO GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!! If we could start a listing even better..........It would make the already frustrating decision making, less confusing - I HOPE!!!

Cheers guys!!!! Big Hugs.:hug:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Anybody?!?!?!?!?

Hi narrabeen

i have never heard the term central coast before, do you mean Adelaide, if you do theres not usually many people on here from Adelaide, but you can go into forums at the top left hand side of the PIO page in orange and scroll down to where you are going and put a post in there. All the best

jim

Guest smileykylie

central coast refers to the coast just up from Sydney - from about gosford. I think there are quite a few posts on this area already - have you done a search??

Yip have done several, none seem to cover this topic in depth tho!!!!

PM Joho. She lives in Umina. I know she's on BE but I'm sure she's on here too. Actually BE might be the go as there are a lot of members who live on the Central Coast. My eldest son lives there but I have no idea about the cost of living.

• 2 years later...

Okay, I'll start as we're just shelling out for much of this stuff. We're in Sydney and only two so you may need to use a little imagination but...

1. Rent - $450 p/w 2 bed Unit in a decent suburb with good transport access (& good schools I believe but as we've not got kids that's not a concern for us) Remember that in most cases your rent will include rates and at the very least the waste water portion of your water bill as it's the landlord's responsibility to pay it. Ours includes water usage too. If you have to pay rates they're paid quarterly and generally cheaper than the UK.

2. Electricity - Not sure yet...

3. Contents insurance - $500, that's for a $50,000 cover policy with a low excess and $5,000 worth of items outside the home. You may need more, don't underestimate your contents as things like DVDs & games are pricier here than in the UK.

4. Phone / internet $40 - this is for an Amaysim unlimited mobile policy with 4GB data, we went for this as the property we're just about to move out of had no broadband cover. One of the things you have to know about Aus, and this probably applies more for the central cost, is they're well behind the UK on ADSL, here there are something like 150 homes in the local area and only 148 working ADSL ports serving them so you have to wait for a connection. We're currently using our phones as modems via 'tethering' I'm a heavy user ATM as I'm job hunting and 4GB lasts me the month until it renews. There's a company offering a good home phone & broadband deal @ $80 p/m, that includes unlimited Aus calls, broadband, Wifi modem & most importantly unlimited calls back to the UK (& other countries too).

5. Gas, dependent on how close to civilisation you are this will either be mains or bottled. The house we're in now has bottled but our 'granny annex' is leccy only.

6. Health insurance, you can sign up for Medicare under the reciprocal agreement but dependent on your visa there are limitations to the level of service. Our additional health insurance for our 457 visa is about $110

7. Car insurance. Not sure...

As to general cost of living, Bread is LOTS pricey than in the UK, same goes for veggies, but, they're HUGE, bloomin' monsters, but they seem to last far longer than veg & fruit in the UK. I was buying stuff there and having to throw it two days later. I've a massive head of celery in the fridge that I'm still using in cooked for 3 weeks after buying it. In Sydney there are 'pound shop' equivalents too which we use. TBH It's made us far more aware of what goes into the trolley, which is a good thing.

Of course these figures will be different for you but they should give you an idea. HTH?

Guest littlesarah

I live on the Coast, but what you will have to spend will depend on many factors.

Property: beachside costs more, popular beachside more still (e.g. Terrigal is more expensive than East Bateau Bay). Get onto some property websites for ideas of how much what you'd want/need may set you back. Be aware that rental vacancy rates are very low, so you could well end up in a bidding war for a rental (in which case you'll pay more than the stated rental). I don't rent, I have a mortgage, but I don't see that it would really help you know how much because our house fits our unique needs & was always a hard house to value. The downside with living near the beach is that it's further from the motorway and the train line, so it can add time on to a commute.

Rates: depends on the land value - we pay about $1600 a year, I think (land value around $250k)

Electricity: about $270 a quarter for the two of us (though I'm looking at other deals which are likely to be cheaper and will switch pretty soon)

Water: can't remember, sorry.

Gas: if only! No town gas where we are, and we're in a bush fire area so no lpg (which is too pricey anyway, I reckon)

Home insurance: about $1200 per annum, building and contents (bushfire area strikes again!)

Car insurance: around $900 for CTP & Comprehensive (per car)

Air Con: we only have one unit, which we rarely use (we retreat to downstairs on hot days, where there aren't many windows and it's cooler)

Childcare: N/A for us so can't help you there (no kids)

Phone: varies depending who you go with. We're with Telstra at present, but I'm really annoyed with them so I'll be changing in the next few weeks. Mobile phone with Virgin, OH & I both with them because we get free calls and texts to other Virgin phones, and $450 a month call allowance including overseas calls/

Internet: if you get ADSL you're home and dry, we don't so have to pay through the nose for mobile broadband (which is incredibly frustrating) - currently $50 a month for 4GB, but I've found way better deals so will soon switch.

Hope that helps. Though do bear in mind that different lifestyles result in different costs...

Archived