You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

rockola57

Are aussies really poms who got here before us?

That's the way i see it.I can't differentiate(apart from the ........):wink:

Apart from the natives, yeah pretty much. Oh how I wish my great great grandparents had been criminals :biglaugh:

Guest Aldo

Yes they are poms but minus a few brain cells:wink:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi rockola

you make a really good point here because alot of Aussies are decendants of British people and just when do they become non British. Some become non British pom haters, or baters, not all of them, they don't all dislike us.

But it is strange and its the same in the USA alot of British decendants who now become American, basically because they are born there, but this begs the question and maybe geoff (tracy123) can answer this, he was born in Australia and his sisters and brothers, i don't know how many exactly, were born in England and are English. And what if you are from pakistan, or Indian, or Black African parents and born in America and Australia just like Geoff are you then Australian and American. Seems complicated to me, maybe Geoff knows the answer.

jim:chatterbox:

If like Geoff they are classed as Australian because they were born there, why aren't Indian and Pakistan children born England, not English?

Yes they are poms but minus a few brain cells:wink:

Ahhh, now I see why 55% of Brits want to move to Australia...And a few that are not that good have to make do with Spain...:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest brooksey

My best mate in Sheffield was born in England after his parents moved from Jamaica. When the 2 countries played each other at football he said he didn't know who to support.

I landed firmly on the side of England insisting if he was born in England and lived in England then he is English.

Americans make me laugh. Everyone of them insists they are Irish or Scottish. Non of them admit to having English decent.

Guest proud2beaussie

Does it matter?

I was born in England in 1960 but came to Australia in late 1964 and apart from time spent working overseas,both in the Uk and other countries, I've been here ever since,I went to school here and started work here,i've been in the Army reserve and been a volunteer fire fighter,I am a dual Australian/UK citizen and I have an Australian passport,I consider myself Australian and I think attitude is what counts,I have posted on PIO many times that I am proud of my British birth and ancestors,Britain has a special place in my heart and I spend a lot of time there but I'm an aussie and

I don't really think it matters where you are born,when you show commitment to a country by becoming a citizen then I think it is fair enough to assume the nationality of that country.

Some are dutch ... we always seem to think that it's only the poms who migrated here in the early settlement days

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Guest proud2beaussie

Good point ali,

and lets not forget the Chinese,in the 2006 census nearly 700,000 people identified themselves as having Chinese ancestry and there are records of Chinese presence in Australia since the first fleet.

Wiki has this:-

From the very beginning of the colony of New South Wales, links with China were established when several ships of the First Fleet, after dropping off their convict load, sailed for Canton to pick up goods for the return to England. The Bigge Report attributed the high level of tea drinking to 'the existence of an intercourse with China from the foundation of the Colony …' That the ships carrying such cargo had Chinese crew members is likely and that some of the crew and possibly passengers embarked at the port of Sydney is probable. Certainly by 1818, Mak Sai Ying (also known as John Shying) had arrived and after a period of farming became, in 1829, the publican of The Lion in Parramatta. John Macarthur, a prominent pastoralist, employed three Chinese people on his properties in the 1820s and records may well have neglected others.

and there is an excellent National library site about the Dutch charting the coast of Australia which began way back in 1606.

http://www.nla.gov.au/exhibitions/southland/intro.html

Guest chris955

They are English, if they are born in England regardless of the origin of their parents they are English, I would assume only racists would refer to them as something other than English ?

The situation with Aussies is a little muddy as we tend to claim all and sundry as our own (Aussies). Rolf Harris has lived in England for 50 years but is still an Aussie 'icon', Kylie has lived there for 15 odd years but still an Aussie and the same with many others. Oddly anyone famous coming here almost instantly becomes a dinky di Aussie. Who had heard of the Danish Royal family before Mary arrived on the scene ? Now although she is a Danish citizen she is still referred to as 'our' Mary. Aussies tend to pick and choose who they refer to as their own. Even when people clearly state their nationality they are claimed eg. The Bee Gees.

Many British Aussies feel the need to distance themselves from their home country for whatever reason, maybe to fit in ?

If like Geoff they are classed as Australian because they were born there, why aren't Indian and Pakistan children born England, not English?

Guest lifeinmono

I find Australia to be full of ironies and twists.

Anyone who calls themselves an ''Aussie'' is almost certainly only an "Aussie'' by virtue of being born here or emigrating here. The only people who are, from a genetic point of view, ''Aussies'' are the indigenous Aboriginal Australians. They are the only true ''Aussies''.

White Aussies referring to Brits as ''poms'' (especially when with a disparaging tone of voice - as often is the case) is dumb because, er, hello, who do you think you are exactly? Where do you ACTUALLY come from? Unless you are Greek, Italian, Dutch or Asian you are basically, genetically speaking, a ''pom'' yourself.

Aussies seem to think that they are their own race, that they are genetically distinct. How, exactly?

Australia is a stolen land, ultimately. It doesn't really belong to Europeans/white man or whatever you want to call it.

You are ONLY an ''Aussie'' because you happen, by what George Carlin called ''accident of birth'', to be born on that continent or because your parents chose to emigrate.

It's a strange thing to have such a huge amount of pride in. Being an Aussie isn't a skill.

same people different tribe:wink:

but what if an oz born pom marries an oz born german,are the children pomgerms or germpoms or are they aussies in their own right,not pom nor german

the above post i believe to be erroneous it is the same as saying that the descendants of the roman legions that invaded britain are still italian

Guest lifeinmono
same people different tribe:wink:

but what if an oz born pom marries an oz born german,are the children pomgerms or germpoms or are they aussies in their own right,not pom nor german

the above post i believe to be erroneous it is the same as saying that the descendants of the roman legions that invaded britain are still italian

No it isn't

The Romans invaded Britain century upon century upon century ago. Eons. Literally. Aussies go around talking about ''poms'' and so on when their bloody parents/grandparents are British.

The only erroneous thing is your ridiculous comparison of the Roman invasion of Britain with the British arrival in Australia - which in terms of history is only yesterday. Literally yesterday in the cases of many individuals.

Guest lifeinmono
does time make a difference

When it comes to Aussies taking the piss out of ''poms'' and so on - yes it bloody well does and if you are unable to recognise that then you have problems.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
They are English, if they are born in England regardless of the origin of their parents they are English, I would assume only racists would refer to them as something other than English ?

Many British Aussies feel the need to distance themselves from their home country for whatever reason, maybe to fit in ?

Hi chris

the top of your post isn't correct, i do national identity forms and if for instance any other ethnic coded person, who is born in England, they are deemed to be British with whatever other ethnicity they are. So your reference to racism must be directed at the government it is them who class them as this. The point i was making is exactly opposite, which is why are Australians born from say British parents in Australia, immediately then become Australian, when say in England or Scotland, children born there from migrants are classed as British and not Englishh or Scottish. Whats the difference?

And more to the point, do Asian, carribean, German and other children born in Australia from other countries, also become Australian? Like it appears British children are classed as Australian if they are born there, just who gets this priveledge and when does this happen? Does anyone know the answer?

jim:wink:

Hi rockola

you make a really good point here because alot of Aussies are decendants of British people and just when do they become non British. Some become non British pom haters, or baters, not all of them, they don't all dislike us.

But it is strange and its the same in the USA alot of British decendants who now become American, basically because they are born there, but this begs the question and maybe geoff (tracy123) can answer this, he was born in Australia and his sisters and brothers, i don't know how many exactly, were born in England and are English. And what if you are from pakistan, or Indian, or Black African parents and born in America and Australia just like Geoff are you then Australian and American. Seems complicated to me, maybe Geoff knows the answer.

I think it's pretty easy. My wife and I and eldest Son were born in England and therefore English. My youngest was born here and is therfore Australian. We all have dual nationality and can get two passports if we want. The cost is prohibitive though.

We all regard Australia as home now.

If everyone that comes here black, white, yellow or pink accepts that they are in a great place and tries to integrate then they can all be regarded as Australian. If they want things to be like the place they left and bring their problems and ideals with them they will never be Austalian and will probably never feel "at home".

Some are dutch ... we always seem to think that it's only the poms who migrated here in the early settlement days

My friend (who was born in Oz) has Dutch parents who call me "Sue the Pom" :laugh:

Sue x

"You Can Tell A Yorkshire Lass, You Just Cannot Tell Her Much "

Aussies seem to think that they are their own race, that they are genetically distinct. How, exactly?

No, you are incorrect

Australians know they are a NATIONALITY - not a race - of different ethnic origins. Just as the British are a blending of different ethnic origins. The only difference is that the Australian blending is more recent - in the last 200 years - than the British blending, and is therefore

(1) - more alive in the memory of the family

(2) easier to document.

Because all (non indigenous) Australians have come from somewhere else in the last 200 years, many are very conscious of their "pre-Australian" heritage. For example, as someone who was born in Australia, I know the birthplace of all of my 16 (non Australian) great great grandparents. And I suspect many other Australians do too.

Who had heard of the Danish Royal family before Mary arrived on the scene ? ?

I had as I have Danish friends and visited Denmark a couple of times. ... sorry just realised it was probably a rhetorical question

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Guest The Ropey HOFF
No, you are incorrect

Australians know they are a NATIONALITY - not a race - of different ethnic origins. Just as the British are a blending of different ethnic origins. The only difference is that the Australian blending is more recent - in the last 200 years - than the British blending, and is therefore

(1) - more alive in the memory of the family

(2) easier to document.

Because all (non indigenous) Australians have come from somewhere else in the last 200 years, many are very conscious of their "pre-Australian" heritage. For example, as someone who was born in Australia, I know the birthplace of all of my 16 (non Australian) great great grandparents. And I suspect many other Australians do too.

Hi Skani

so which decendant Aussies hate or dislike poms, which some people harp on about on PIO. I found Australians to be really nice and polite when i was there, but some on here say alot of them can't stand the Poms. Is there any new found, just born in the country Aussies from a certain previous country of parent origin in particular that dislike us Poms more than others, or are these people making it up and just generalising. Its confusing to say the least.

Hi Skani

so which decendant Aussies hate or dislike poms, which some people harp on about on PIO.

I don't know anyone who dislikes poms (well, apart from my father-in-law who was shafted financially by one:wink: And he's of German descent about 4 generations back, so maybe his German heritage is showing:biggrin:).

There's a lot of friendly rivalry in sport and there's a very dry Australian sense of humour which can often be misinterpreted (or missed completely).

In my experience the term Pom or Pommy is used with affection.

Guest chris955

The term Pom CAN be used as a term of affection but there is little doubt it is often used in a derogatory fashion.

The term Pom CAN be used as a term of affection but there is little doubt it is often used in a derogatory fashion.

Well, we must move in very different circles. I may well have heard it used in a derogatory fashion, but it must have been so many years ago that I can't remember.