Thomas Embling Hospital, Melbourne

Joan01

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Joan

Sorry I have only just seen this. It's hard to compare as I don't know what line of work you are in and what the job in Townsville involves. Thomas Embling is currently undergoing a multi million dollar security upgrade after two of its inmates were stabbed to death last November. It's not a place I could work but if it is something that you are trained for and the Townsville job is along the same lines then I suppose it boils down to which state you would prefer.

Good luck with it all

Kate

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Joan

We have been in Melbourne 6 years, we love it here, BUT, it's blinkin freezin.

I suppose it all depends on what kind of lifestyle you want outside of work. Personally I don't think we will stay in Melbourne forever, it's too cold in winter. However, it has everything we could want and more, there is plenty to do and we are never bored. I haven't been to Townsville yet but am heading off that way in a few weeks. If you want a quiet life and job then Townsville, if you want something more daring, challenging and busy then maybe Thomas Embling and Melbourne.

I hope it works out for you, it's a great position to be in where you can choose.

Kate

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Kate,

Well I never thought of it being freezing, is that just because you've acclimatised so much, as surely its not as cold as UK winters. I suppose I have a fair of thinking to do, I hate decisions haha. We did say that if we went to Melbourne it wouldn't be long term. Oh decisions decisions. Thank you for your advice and input.

Joan

Hi Joan

Yes I think we have definately acclimatised:xmasnorthpole: It is our winter though now, temps are around 15 degrees for rest of week, although nights have been more chilly. When we first ever arrived in Melbourne it was winter and we were walking around in shorts and T shirts now it's a thick jacket, beanie, gloves and a scarf, it's funny though because the new arrivals have still been heading off to the beach:chatterbox:

God luck with the decision and remember there isn't a right or wrong, wherever you go it will be a new life and if you didn't like the state you were in you don't have to stay there forever.

Hugs:hug:

Kate

Hi Joan. Its Kelly (Ratchet)

I wouldnt touch TEmbling to be honest, but that my opinion of course. I hear bad things on a daily basis about that place from agency nurses.......of course some like it, but other will do everything to avoid it.

My experience of forensics is Rampton and you know when you walk on shift you have your teams backing, just as you back a collegue.....that doesnt happen here......Unfortunately it appears all of the good aussie nurses with mental health experience end up in the public system and the s**t and damn right unsafe ones get employed in the private system who in turn, bring us UK nurses over to teach them how to do the job properly.

Just my opinion of course, but i hate working over here as a psych nurse sometimes. totally unsafe and no backing unless your blessed with a team of UK nurses. Thankfully my ward has a wonderful team of Brit and now skilled up aussie nurses.

Aussie nurse training is below par compared to ours. They train to be general nurses and then they join a psych ward and dont have a clue what an antidepressant is, or know how to speak to a patient, let alone be able to monitor someones mental wellbeing.......:eek:

Im shocked and appauled on a daily basis and it makes me sad. Be prepared to be the one who knows a lot and put on because of that and be prepared to fight to maintain your standards and skills.

Of course the upside is that everyday when you leave work, you can have a wonderful life is this great country.............:cute:

Good luck, chose wisely and ask loads of questions.xxx

• 7 months later...
Guest schwicka

Hey everyone,

I know this thread is old, but I've just interviewed for a position here. I'll be a finished nursing school in April and currently work in a maximum security unit here in Canada. What have you specifically heard about this hospital? Why will some avoid it?

Guest carkyde

Hi all, I work at Thomas Embling and it's a great place to work, ask me anything about it!!! I have worked in Forensics in both UK and Sydney and I believe Thomas Embling is a good place. Like all psych hospitals there are a few difficult patients but I think they are managed really well considering it's the only forensic facility in Victoria.

Ask any questions :)

Guest schwicka
Hi all, I work at Thomas Embling and it's a great place to work, ask me anything about it!!! I have worked in Forensics in both UK and Sydney and I believe Thomas Embling is a good place. Like all psych hospitals there are a few difficult patients but I think they are managed really well considering it's the only forensic facility in Victoria.

I'm so excited to find someone that actually works there! They're still in the process of checking my references so I don't have an offer yet, but I'm crossing my fingers. Are you in maximum, medium, or minimum security? What shifts are available? I might have a few more questions later down the road. Thanks so much for your reply.

Guest flickpot

Hello

I've never posted a thread before so hope this works....

I've got an interview for Thomas Embling but what I would really like to know is where do most of the staff live as it seems like it is in inner melbourne and rents seem a bit steep.

Is it easy to travel in? I know that Melbourne is meant to have a great public transport system but is this practical?

many thanks

If you look at the Metlink site Home - Metlink - Your guide to public transport in Melbourne and Victoria

gives you all the transport routes in and around Melbourne then you can look at suburbs close by the hospital.

I have family members who worked shifts in other occupations and they all drove to work due to hours and preferred not to use transport late in the evening.

Guest carkyde

Hi The shifts vary, some start at 7-3 8-4, 8.30-4.30, 10.30 - 7.30, 1-9 Rosters are done well in advance and are pretty flexible.

There are 2 male acute units - 15 beds each, 1 female unit, 1 sub acute unit, 3 continuing care/rehab units.

It is a nice spacious campus, pretty good facilities.

Public transport is a bit tricky, a lot of staff cycle and live around Northcote, Heidleberg etc.

Let me know if you want any more info.

Guest schwicka
Hi The shifts vary, some start at 7-3 8-4, 8.30-4.30, 10.30 - 7.30, 1-9 Rosters are done well in advance and are pretty flexible.

There are 2 male acute units - 15 beds each, 1 female unit, 1 sub acute unit, 3 continuing care/rehab units.

It is a nice spacious campus, pretty good facilities.

Public transport is a bit tricky, a lot of staff cycle and live around Northcote, Heidleberg etc.

Let me know if you want any more info.

Thanks! That was my next question about transit. I'd essentially like to live somewhere close to the hospital that is safe where I can still walk around. I guess I will have to figure that out if I get an offer.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest schwicka

Well, I was successful in my interiew and have been offered a position. I'm very excited! This is going to be a huge change for me. Where is the best place to rent? I'm looking for a neighbourhood where I'm safe walking around, close to transit and grocery shops. What does it cost per month for a decent apartment? Everywhere online I've looked it seems like I'll have to pay somewhere around $1200 a month for a decent place.

The hospital campus (especially parking area) gets a lot of snakes during summer months (and sometimes in winters too). They have waring signs too!!

My friend did her clinical placement there for 4 weeks and loved it - supportive staff, great opportunities, high security and one of the best staff-patient ratios.

Guest schwicka
The hospital campus (especially parking area) gets a lot of snakes during summer months (and sometimes in winters too). They have waring signs too!!

My friend did her clinical placement there for 4 weeks and loved it - supportive staff, great opportunities, high security and one of the best staff-patient ratios.

I read somewhere online about the snakes. Do they bite and are they poisonous? I'm coming from Canada so we never have to worry about that kind of thing. I'm terrified of spiders but I guess I'm going to have to suck it up.

Glad to hear another good thing about patient-staff ratios!

Guest colsha7

hi, my husband has an interview on 25/02 for a RPN2 job with this hospital. We had been thinking about moving last year but 2 of our kids are finishing their A Levels and wanted to wait. He has been offered a job at a private clinic in perth with 121 visa but the clinic is a bit to touchy feely for him. When he was interviewed she said they do have drug addicts but nice ones.......he has worked with alcholoic/drug abusers with dual diagnosis and now works as a ward manager in medium secure fornensic, so this sounds more up his street. He sent his cv to them and got a quick response saying he should do the online application and when he gets down he could start on a RPN2 for a few weeks then look to a more senior position...every where else tell him at least 6 months- 1 year for a more senior postition. so sounds really good....fingers crossed all goes well on 25/02.

A question for someone who currently works there, what kind of monthly take home pay could he expect on a RPN2???? Also, anyone have kids??? What are the high schools like??? 2 kids, daughter 15 and son 13. Afetr 15 years in Germany we moved back to England (we are Scottish) oct 2008. They have adjusted brilliantly from schooling in german to english....they actually find english school easier. so we cant forsee any problems for them. we would be greatful for any advice anyone can give on schools in the area. Where the best ones are etc.....husband has no problems travelling to work.....kids also have no worries with travelling to school...they do that here anyway.

Thanks in advance.

sharon.x

Guest carkyde

Hi if you have a look on Gumtree Melbourne you might be able to get a house share in the area but I would suggest you get here and have a look at the place and not take it from the pictures on the website! Have a look at Fairfield, Northcote, Clifton Hill, Ivanhoe, Preston - all close if you cycle. There are signs for snakes but the hospitalis next to a big parkland and the River Yarra! I have never seen a snake in the hospital!!! There are blue tongue lizards but they are harmless. I have only seen 2 Huntsmen spiders and they were in my house, not at work!! The Huntsmen aren't as big as I imagined them to be. To be honest after a while you stop looking for creepy crawlies!!I'll find ut what a RPN 2 salary is but lots of staff top it up with overtime or acting up at higher grades. Not sure about schools - I have little kids who are not school age yet. Lots of staff live in the North East area to the hospital and the schools seem pretty good. Ask any other questions!!!! Carkyde

Guest scottish shell

A big Hi Carkyde..I have a job awaiting me at Thomas Embling and soo cant wait. Just waiting for my medical paperwork to be finalised with my visa, should be this week, we then plan to fly out the follwoing week all going well. Can I ask you a few wee questions?

-do you have a lay period ( first month wage held back)

-How much should I expect registered level 1

-is if fortnightly pay

-are the senior staff supportive

-is the training oppertunties good

housing

Can you suggest any good rental agencies,

or know anyone renting?

we have accomodation for ten days , but really need to plan viewins as soon as w e arrive x

ps.sorry for all the questions ,im a little excited xxx :jiggy:

Guest scottish shell
A big Hi Carkyde..I have a job awaiting me at Thomas Embling and soo cant wait. Just waiting for my medical paperwork to be finalised with my visa, should be this week, we then plan to fly out the follwoing week all going well. Can I ask you a few wee questions?

-do you have a lay period ( first month wage held back)

-How much should I expect registered level 1

-is if fortnightly pay

-are the senior staff supportive

-is the training oppertunties good

housing

Can you suggest any good rental agencies,

or know anyone renting?

we have accomodation for ten days , but really need to plan viewins as soon as w e arrive x

ps.sorry for all the questions ,im a little excited xxx :jiggy:

ps, I meant hoiw much can I expect in AUS dollars per month/fortnight after deductions ect?? Just read my post and I didnt explain myself too well x:err:

It's great to hear from all of you. My partner has been offered a job in Thomas Embling as well. He is a ward manager in medium secure unit in London and he was trying to find something in managerial post in Australia, but no luck, they told him, he will have to start from band 5. He took the job, so now we are only waiting for his nursing registration in Oz, he sent it off beginning of January. We are hoping to move in June. He will start on salary of 63 000 and something a year and they said it will all add up to about 73 000 a year after adding unsocial hours. After asking somewhere else, he should be taking home about 4 200 a month hopefully. Or even better if he did some overtime and brought even more!!!!:wink:. I was looking at surrounding suburbs and I find them quite expensive. I found one called Bundoora which shouldn't be too far and is financialy affordable. But I suppose when we get there, they will give us more advice. They said they will reimburse my partner's air ticket after 3 months of service and pay for first week accommodation. Did you get offered the same anyone?

Guest scottish shell
It's great to hear from all of you. My partner has been offered a job in Thomas Embling as well. He is a ward manager in medium secure unit in London and he was trying to find something in managerial post in Australia, but no luck, they told him, he will have to start from band 5. He took the job, so now we are only waiting for his nursing registration in Oz, he sent it off beginning of January. We are hoping to move in June. He will start on salary of 63 000 and something a year and they said it will all add up to about 73 000 a year after adding unsocial hours. After asking somewhere else, he should be taking home about 4 200 a month hopefully. Or even better if he did some overtime and brought even more!!!!:wink:. I was looking at surrounding suburbs and I find them quite expensive. I found one called Bundoora which shouldn't be too far and is financialy affordable. But I suppose when we get there, they will give us more advice. They said they will reimburse my partner's air ticket after 3 months of service and pay for first week accommodation. Did you get offered the same anyone?

Hi Terry, can I be rude and ask was it ther hospital or the recruitment agency that stated they will reinburse flights??? I have heard differing stories and am curious. / My husband and I are so looking forward to the move ..its is very tense but exctitng xx

Archived