Sign in to follow this  
Guest Forester83

Defacto on 457 - 6 or 12 months??!!

Guest Forester83

Hi, I was hoping someone could shed some light on the defacto requirement for 457 visas. I've read absolutely loads on the forum and on immi website re the 12 month relationship requirement, but am now even more confused since my partner spoke to immigration. He was just told that the requirement is different for a 457, in that we only have to have been in a defacto relationship for 6 months!

We actually got together in 2005, and lived together until last year when we separated for a few months, but have been back living together for 3 months. With the latest news it seems as though the defacto application isn't as unreachable as we first thought. Am I getting prematurely excited?!

From reading forums I get the impression that a lot of people (inlcuding me) confuse the requirements for a defacto application for the partner of an Australian citizen, a defacto app for permanent residency, and a defacto app for the partner of someone on a temporary 457.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm feeling v confused by the whole thing!

Correct - the de-facto partner of a 457 main applicant does not have 12 month requirement. 6 months of cohabitation is seen as strong evidence that de-facto spouse relationship exists - but relationships of less than 6 months can be accepted. Apply for visa with your partner giving the full history - if they decide that 3,4 or 5 months is not long eneough, despite your previous history together, then you can re-apply for yours when you have 6 months up, and this might still be before your partner has taken up the position.

Regards

Tony

Anthony Coates MARN: 0601801

tonycoates@eircom.net

Guest Forester83

Tony,

you really are a superstar. You've helped me out with issues in the past, and it really is hugely appreciated.

Thank you :)