Webbwebbies 6 months 2 weeks in

Hi all

Just thought I'll let you know how we have been getting on all the way downunder. We arrived on the 15th Dec and spent the 1st 3 weeks in Perigain Springs in holiday mode and looking for somewhere to live. We found a house in Buderim which is a very nice town with everything you could want and it is nice and central. The house is nice and big and backs on to a woods so we get everything from huge stick insects too kangeroos in the garden as well as the dreaded Huntsman in the house. I'm not normanly scared of spiders but they are so fast its not right.

Both our girls (15 and 10) have settled in better than we could have hoped for and have made lots of friends and I have not heard "I'm bored" since we've been here. Alice goes out on her friends boat and down to the beach., and we all go out fishing, hunting in the rock pools swimming in waterfall in the park and have not sat about doing nothing yet. I think we're going to Australia Zoo this weekend.

Work. I got my visa as a renderer and have struggled to get work. The guy I worked for told us to look for other work last month because he had none. His firm has been on the Sunshine Coast for 18 years and has a good rep; but with so many plasterers under cutting to get work theres no money left in it any more so I have decided to give it up. You can earn more cleaning which is what I am now doing. I got a full time job last week cleaning a hotel. I start at 3am but its good money. On the same day I got this job Sharon all so got a full time job after 6 months of trying as a shop assisant so we have turned the corner thank god. At Easter we at rock bottom and were down to $2 honestly.

Do I regret coming? No defintly not. No one said it would be easy and we never expected it to be. We have stuck at it and have met loads of people. I have found the Australians to be helpful and friendly. All the idiots I've met and thats only been 2 have been English.

Anyway speak soon Carls (yorkshireclan) arriving next month. Luv Lance

Great to read that you kids have settled and well done for realising that you were unable to survive with your trade and have taken another route. Perseverence is the key here!!!

I also agree the only person to have ripped us off here was English!!!! I cannot put to words the kindness I have experienced from the Aussies in the last couple of months.

Good luck for the future.

Sue xxx

Guest The Pom Queen

What a wonderful post, it just shows that even when things get back, if you hang in there your luck can turn around. The house sounds wonderful, well apart from the spiders, although I don't mind the huntsman as they keep the flys away.

I can't wait to read your 12 month report, please don't forget to post one will you.

Hugs

Kate

Thanks guys

You do have to put yourself about and be prepared to travel and work at anything. I went down to to harbour and put my name down for the tuna boats. Got a phone call a day later asking if I could go out that day and the boat was leaving in 3 hours, but I was working that day so could not go. There a few people we know who have not worked in months and have no money and talk about going home. They seem to think work will come to them and when you say you need to travel or do something else they won't?

Guest bindog1uk

Hi Lance, nice to hear that you have settled in well and at last found work. Home sounds intreeging and comes with it's own wildlife, have to say cannot stand spiders, but have you met any snakes yet or other wildlife. Can the kangaroos get into your garen or are you fenced in?

Good that the children have settled in well, it's a big step for them to take and a big risk, glad it's paid of for you. Have you felt homesick yet or is it to soon, your not missing much here in the U.K, only going from bad to worse:mad:

Take care:wink:Lesley

YOOOOOO BUDDDDD!!!

Think what you guys have been through and done is a credit to you!!

I know this reply is late but only just read it as we are in touch through email...

Glad we have you guys out there and look forward to building our friendship!!

See you in 2 weeks mate and all the best!

The Haigh clan.:hug:

Guest shirlw

Great honest post and well done for hanging in there.The same work ethic happens in UK too.........there is work if you want it and are not too fussy,the people who are fussy are the ones with no pride and would rather be on the dole so goodonya.....btw we are also Webbs and should be arriving mid December like you did and will be staying in Sippy Downs a stones throw from Buderim.We have boys though 15,13 and 7 so best you lock up your daughters:biggrin:Would love to meet up with you guys as I have followed your journey.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Lance, nice to hear that you have settled in well and at last found work. Home sounds intreeging and comes with it's own wildlife, have to say cannot stand spiders, but have you met any snakes yet or other wildlife. Can the kangaroos get into your garen or are you fenced in?

Good that the children have settled in well, it's a big step for them to take and a big risk, glad it's paid of for you. Have you felt homesick yet or is it to soon, your not missing much here in the U.K, only going from bad to worse:mad:

Take care:wink:Lesley

The roos come in from nextdoors garden but can jump our fence. We found a small brown snake the other day under some wood and theres plenty of skinks, geckos and cane toads. I've can honestly say I have not be homesick. Sharon wanted to go home in March when we had no work or moneybut nowwe are ok. Think about it I now work as a cleaner and Sharon works in a shop and we lived in a big house in a lovely part of Queenslands and have money to do what we like. Never had that in the Uk as a plasterer just a load of debt and grief.

Guest waynenicola

Great post guys and gos to show if you are a hardworking bloke you will eventually come through. We are still waiting and waiting for any good news re new sol etc but hope to be in qld soon so keep us all up to date.

thanks

Hi Lance

OMG.. how did I miss your post!!! SORRY!

Sounds like you have had your up and downs out there, but you have now got through it! Well done. I am so glad its all working out for you guys now.

Speak soon,

Tasha :hug:

Guest bindog1uk
The roos come in from nextdoors garden but can jump our fence. We found a small brown snake the other day under some wood and theres plenty of skinks, geckos and cane toads. I've can honestly say I have not be homesick. Sharon wanted to go home in March when we had no work or moneybut nowwe are ok. Think about it I now work as a cleaner and Sharon works in a shop and we lived in a big house in a lovely part of Queenslands and have money to do what we like. Never had that in the Uk as a plasterer just a load of debt and grief.

Hi Lance, sounds like youv'e got your own private Zoo, love wildlife so it sounds just up my street, what part of Queensland are you at? Is there no work there for a Plasterer, thought that the building trade was taking of there again, we are hoping that tradies are on the SMP, so whats the constuction industry like there, are you hoping to return to plastering.:wink:Lesley

Hi Lesley

At the moment I've no intention of going back to plastering.I would get though 5 litres of water when it was hot and then the rain came and you could'nt work so did'nt get paid. The hours I do now fit in well and I have the whole day to myself.

I could get work plastering if I wanted to work for less money and do a half arsed job, it seems to be the blokes that are a bit slap dash are the ones that are busy, but I could not do that. Time will tell.

Luv Lance.

Archived