You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest mittu

Moving from Working Holiday to Bridging Visa.

Guest mittu

Hello all,

I am currently on a WHV and have my application in for permanent residency on a Last Remaining Relative Visa. As such I will be moving on to my Bridging Visa shortly.

As I understand it the bridging visa operates under the same work restrictions as the visa currently held. So, if I have worked for 6 months for a company during my WHV will I be able to do another 6 months with them once I move onto the Bridging Visa?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Guest shellyg

Hi Mittu

I'm in a similar position to you and was wondering if you found out the answer to your question?

Would be interesed to hear the answer please =)

shell x

Guest perfectstranger

Do you know which bridging visa you will go on...Like bridging visa A,B...E ?

Hi all,

I may be a in a similar situation in a few months too - going onto a bridging visa A from my WHV whilst a defacto visa application is being processed - and I would also love to know the answer to this question?

Thanks in advance to anyone who could help :)

Guest mittu

I sent an e-mail to the powers that be and got the following reply:

Thank you for your email. You will be able to work with the company for

six months once your bridging visa comes into effect.

I stated the full facts in my e-mail (that I had already worked for the company for 6 months and wanted to do another 6 months once I was on the new visa) so the answer should be reliable.

Hi everybody,

First post on this site.

Have had a really stressful weekend as I have found myself in exactly the same position.

I am on a WHV and will have been working for my current employer for 6 months (183 days) on monday.

I have applied for a partner visa and my bridging visa A will kick in when my WHV expires in 3 weeks.

I understand that I can't work past monday without breaking the conditions of my WHV but will I be able to go back working for them when my bridging visa starts?

Any advice from people that have been in the same situation would be great.

Thanks in advance

Guest aussie06
Hi everybody,

First post on this site.

Have had a really stressful weekend as I have found myself in exactly the same position.

I am on a WHV and will have been working for my current employer for 6 months (183 days) on monday.

I have applied for a partner visa and my bridging visa A will kick in when my WHV expires in 3 weeks.

I understand that I can't work past monday without breaking the conditions of my WHV but will I be able to go back working for them when my bridging visa starts?

Any advice from people that have been in the same situation would be great.

Thanks in advance

I would also be interested by the answer

@Stkildaboy: how did you finally do?

I would also be interested by the answer

@Stkildaboy: how did you finally do?

Hi Aussie,

I rang the immigration department a few times and was told at least 3 different things.

The first person I spoke to was pretty vague but said that I would be unable to carry on working for the same employer on my bridging visa as the work restriction would carry on (which meant that my 6 months didn't start again).

I tried again (if at first you don't succeed...) and was told something similar.

However I also emailed the department and was rang back the next day by someone who was fantastic and sounded like they knew their stuff. She confirmed that once my bridging visa A kicked in, my 6 months work restriction would start again so I was fine to carry on working for my employer at this point. Needless to say I wrote down exactly what she said, her name, her department, etc - just in case there is some grief at a future point.

Almost 2 months on I am still waiting to hear on my partner visa but am working for the same employer on my bridging visa.

Hope that this helps - it goes to show that the rules are really unclear and the department itself is confused.

Good luck with your application

Guest aussie06

great, thanks a lot for your feedback ; good luck for your partner visa ;-) Keep us posted when you have it granted

I also emailed the department and was rang back the next day by someone who was fantastic and sounded like they knew their stuff. She confirmed that once my bridging visa A kicked in, my 6 months work restriction would start again

No.3 was correct. A BVA has the same conditions as the last substantive visa, but it is a different visa to the WHV therefore the six month clock starts all over again.

Les Mighalls BDS LLB(Hons) LDS FACLM, MARA Reg. No. 0639714

Migration Assistance Australia

www.migrationassistance.com.au