9 months in Perth the story so far

TheBrammies

There has been alot Happen in the last 9 months since we left old Blighty.

We left on the 17th August flying with Qantas (the new A380 ) the flight didnt feel as long as i thought it might with 3 children.

has some of you may know i have never been to oz before so didnt know what to expect

we had friends to stay with so were lucky

has it been easy ..................no at times i have felt more pressure than at any other time in my life but i'm still here.

has it affected my family ..........................yes in a positive way were have stayed strong as a family unit

has it been worth while ...............yes without question you learn so much about your self and family its been a great adventure and you appriecate somethings in the uk more

is family life better...................its different we spend more time as a family unit but i work more hours in the week

is work life any better.......................moving from wages to being self employed is a big step anyway so can't comment but be warned the aussies aren't a lazy bunch when they work they work hard and thats come from a few British tradesmen

is it expensive...............as expensive as you want it to be but the wages tend to be higher as well.

is there Plenty of Work ....................depends what job you do but it can be hard to get your foot in the door but when you do they tend to be loyal but be warned if you can't do what you say you can then you will get found out very quickly and sent on your way.

schools.......................not sure at the moment they teach a different style not as academically focused as the uk so will wait and see but the children settled very easy

making friends................you have to make the effort but people tend to be friendly but then again weve never found it hard to make friends some of which we made on here.

do we miss home ............................somethings we miss but thats only to be expected

will we stay ...................who knows we said we would give it 2 years and thats what we still intend to do but after emigrating to the other side of the world with 3 children we wouldn't rule anything out it just shows you that anything is within reach if you want it to be.

feel free to ask me anything i will give my honest opinon

hi, i have been here 6 months now, just down the road from you in halls head, secret harbour is a lovely place, me and my son go body boarding there. I wouldn't mind buying in secret harbour once the prices drop a little further. We are renting for 320 a week and to be honest it suits me as its very easy to pay and i have money in my pocket at the end of the week.

Im too a carpet layer and i remember talking to you sometime ago while you were in pommie land.

Its been hard too for me setting up again and had to kiss some ass, but im finally starting to get some good workload coming through now and been invoicing between $1500 - $2000 a week lately and things are still very quiet they tell me, so can only get better.

My mate is a carpet layer too in mandurah and he tells me when it gets busy you can earn $3000+ per week which is fanstatic money.

Took me a long time to find work i must admit as everyone was saying the same thing that there is too many floor layers here, and they were loyal to their own layers. But as i say i feel ive got my foot in the door now and things are looking up.

My partner is starting a aged care course in perth as they are crying out for workers in this industry and the money is good to be honest and propects very good in this field.

Food shopping is costing alot more and cannot get my kids into fredrick irvin until 5 years are about the only negitives, o and it gets bloody cold here, i mean real cold which i never thought before coming.

australia is not perfect as perfect does not exsist no matter where you live but it offers a great future and agreat lifestyle. I like the idea of my son learning a trade going into the mines and earning real decent money working only 6 months of the year, travelling the rest paid for, as some of the 18-25 years old do here. In england we do not have this oppotunity, we can go to uni and still no guarantee of the job we want. Here things are in demand, there is so much oppotunity here.

Also i went to the hail damage car auctions and got a bargin on a van, catch you later!

Guest gary n
hi, i have been here 6 months now, just down the road from you in halls head, secret harbour is a lovely place, me and my son go body boarding there. I wouldn't mind buying in secret harbour once the prices drop a little further. We are renting for 320 a week and to be honest it suits me as its very easy to pay and i have money in my pocket at the end of the week.

Im too a carpet layer and i remember talking to you sometime ago while you were in pommie land.

Its been hard too for me setting up again and had to kiss some ass, but im finally starting to get some good workload coming through now and been invoicing between $1500 - $2000 a week lately and things are still very quiet they tell me, so can only get better.

My mate is a carpet layer too in mandurah and he tells me when it gets busy you can earn $3000+ per week which is fanstatic money.

Took me a long time to find work i must admit as everyone was saying the same thing that there is too many floor layers here, and they were loyal to their own layers. But as i say i feel ive got my foot in the door now and things are looking up.

My partner is starting a aged care course in perth as they are crying out for workers in this industry and the money is good to be honest and propects very good in this field.

Food shopping is costing alot more and cannot get my kids into fredrick irvin until 5 years are about the only negitives, o and it gets bloody cold here, i mean real cold which i never thought before coming.

australia is not perfect as perfect does not exsist no matter where you live but it offers a great future and agreat lifestyle. I like the idea of my son learning a trade going into the mines and earning real decent money working only 6 months of the year, travelling the rest paid for, as some of the 18-25 years old do here. In england we do not have this oppotunity, we can go to uni and still no guarantee of the job we want. Here things are in demand, there is so much oppotunity here.

Also i went to the hail damage car auctions and got a bargin on a van, catch you later!

great post Neil, weve been here 14 months and found the first 8 months difficult, but having made lots of good friends now are having the time of our lives. Yes i agree, Halls head is bloody cold.

Gaz

Thanks for the post Brammies. Some parallels with our planned move. We fly on 19th August, never been before and are going to give 2 years before we make a final decision on whether we think its for us or not.

Also, from your post, its clear you have to make it work, not assume that some utopian existance lies ahead as soon as you arrive in Oz. Wise words I'm sure.

Cheers

Guest juliemtaylor

great update, good luck! look forward to your next update.. We have been here about 3 months now and loving it..

Julie x

Thanks for the post Brammies. Some parallels with our planned move. We fly on 19th August, never been before and are going to give 2 years before we make a final decision on whether we think its for us or not.

Also, from your post, its clear you have to make it work, not assume that some utopian existance lies ahead as soon as you arrive in Oz. Wise words I'm sure.

Cheers

I agree, we arrived in Feb and I have been finding it hard to settle. However we agreed to give it two years and I've decided, its no good moping about counting down to while away those days. I'm feeling more positve about everything at the minute and whether we decide to stay or go home at the end of those two years, I want to be able to say we've had a great time and done things we'd never have done back home.

Secret Harbour is great, the beaches are fab and the girls have settled into their schools. I think you're right, schools are very different here and it scared me a bit when I first got here, but they just seem more relaxed about it all and the teachers are very approachable.

I would say that our family life is better on the whole, we spend more time doing quality things together, even though Eammon works longer hours here than he did back in the UK, we make the most of our weekends together.

Thanks for the great post Brammies. :biggrin:

Denise x

Guest stockies

Great post Brammie ! Glad to hear you all doing ok !! Seems ages ago since we were all discussing things in the chat room......Well we were discussing you and Keily were just having a laugh......lol.

Great post Brammies - very honest. Life can be pretty tough here at times; we have certainly had more than our fair share of ups and downs over our 18 months in Oz, but have never regretted the move. Some harsh lessons to learn, particularly where "friends" are concerned and work has been sh** to us too, but we are coming out of the loooong tunnel we have been in and things couldnt be looking any better now.

Very happy and here to stay!!

Archived