Secondary schools in Berwick, Lynbrook, Narre Warren Sth, End. Hills areas ...

Guest Sam&G

Guest Sam&G

Hi,

Can anyone help us please.

We are moving to Melbourne in Sept this year and have narrowed it down to a few areas; Berwick, Narre Warren South, Lynbrook, Endeavour Hills. Our kids are primary school age still but we are trying to think about Secondary Schools for when the time comes in 3-4 years.

Can anyone shed any light on the situation with secondary schools in these areas? Any good ones to recommend, or avoid?

Also, where does Lynbrook Primary feed into?

Many thanks, Sam

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Sam

You have chosen some lovely areas and Lynbrook primary is an excellent school, in fact we chose to send our son there and despite moving out of the area continued to keep him at the school. There are a few PIO members who send their children to the school who also moved away from the area but continue at the school, in fact one of the members on here is a teacher at the school and sends his own children there. I don't think they get on PIO much though so they may not see your post.

In regards to which is the feeder schools to be honest it is up to you. A lot of the children go to Lyndhurst Secondary in Cranbourne, personally, I wouldn't send my children there. There is a school bus that picks up at Lynbrook for Rowville Secondary which is a good school, we send ours to a private Catholic school which is good and the bus again goes from Lynbrook, there are around 30 children from Lynbrook who catch the bus to the catholic school.

Berwick has some good secondary schools and NWS also has some. Berwick Secondary is the most desireable although I think the new selective entry school Nossall will give it a run for it's money: Berwick Selective Entry High School . You also have the new school in Cranbourne North Alkira Secondary College which will help take some of the strain of Narre Warren South P-12.

If you are looking at Endeavour Hills then I would look at sending your children to Maranatha Christian School, although it is a private school, fees are around $4k and they have an excellent reputation. You have what use to be Eumemmerring College which si now split in to Endeavour Hills Secondary and Gleneagles, but to be honest I think if you can afford it then Maranatha is the school I would choose.

Hope this helps a little.

Kate

Guest Sam&G

Hi Kate,

Thanks very much for your detailed reply, very helpful.

We have our eye on Lynbrook Primary, it does look very good. Thanks for the info about the public secondaries. Can you tell me more about the private Catholic school (if you'd prefer to PM me, please do) and fees, as I realise they vary hugely in Australia compared to the private sector in the UK.

Do you know anymore about Alkira? Rowville must be a good school, as it seems to be a far drive from Lynbrook.

You mentioned about 4k for the Christian primary school - is this per school year?

If we were to rent in Lyndhurst, would we get into Lynbrook Primary, is this within their catchment area? We've found a tiny school in Lyndhurst (31 pupils I think) but the larger Lynbrook appeals to us more.

Sorry for the 101 questions! We have marked areas on a map where we would like to drive around on arrival and get a feel for, visit schools etc. but obviously we are trying to do as much reseach as possible before hand. I know you've said before that many people settle in an area they didn't necessarily plan to, and their favourite area turned out to be not as they'd imagined it from the UK, so we are trying to be open-minded about many areas so we can chose on arrival. I hope this is a good approach.

Thanks again Kate, :wubclub:

Sam

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Kate,

Thanks very much for your detailed reply, very helpful.

We have our eye on Lynbrook Primary, it does look very good. Thanks for the info about the public secondaries. Can you tell me more about the private Catholic school (if you'd prefer to PM me, please do) and fees, as I realise they vary hugely in Australia compared to the private sector in the UK.

Do you know anymore about Alkira? Rowville must be a good school, as it seems to be a far drive from Lynbrook.

You mentioned about 4k for the Christian primary school - is this per school year?

If we were to rent in Lyndhurst, would we get into Lynbrook Primary, is this within their catchment area? We've found a tiny school in Lyndhurst (31 pupils I think) but the larger Lynbrook appeals to us more.

Sorry for the 101 questions! We have marked areas on a map where we would like to drive around on arrival and get a feel for, visit schools etc. but obviously we are trying to do as much reseach as possible before hand. I know you've said before that many people settle in an area they didn't necessarily plan to, and their favourite area turned out to be not as they'd imagined it from the UK, so we are trying to be open-minded about many areas so we can chose on arrival. I hope this is a good approach.

Thanks again Kate, :wubclub:

Sam

Hi Sam

There are a few Catholic Secondary Schools around St Peters is an excellent one in Cranbourne. The best one in the area although my sons don't go there is St Johns in Dandenong (excellent school but I wouldn't want to live there, however, being in Lynbrook you may be able to get in because Lynbrook comes under St Kevins Parish but there is no Secondary School attached to this parish so you could choose between either Dandenong or Cranbourne) and one that beats some of the expensive private schools is Nazareth College in Noble Park (again not an area I would choose to live) The fees are usually around $3k-$5k per year. So they don't break the bank. If you were looking at a good private school you could be paying anything from $25k - $50k per year. So the Catholic schools are definately better value for money.

In regards to Alkira it is probably to soon to judge. They started an interim Year 7 with 115 students in 2009, as the new school was not ready this was run from Hillsmeade Primary School, unfortunately the years results were not great, but, you have to think it can't of been easy for the students nor the staff sharing the primary school building. Their new building was opened this new school year February 2010 and the name was changed from Casey Secondary School to Alkira. I would like to see how this years results compare first before judging the school. Rowville is quite a good school and would be one I would happily have sent my children to could they not have got in to the private Catholic schools.

In regards to Lyndhurst, there are NO schools currently in the suburb. There is a primary school which will be built on the Marriot Water development and should be ready for the 2011 year. Even though there is a Lyndhurst Secondary College this is NOT in Lyndhurst but in Cranbourne North, yes I know it's quite confusing. The school which you mentioned is probably going to be Francis De Sale Catholic Primary in Lynbrook, the school opened in 2010. St Francis de Sales Primary School Lynbrook so although only small yet it is expected to grow.

If you were to rent in Lyndhurst, and you were moving over before the new school was completed in 2011 then yes you would be able to enrol your children in to Lynbrook.

In regards to Maranatha, yes it is for the year. If you were coming over on a student visa you would be looking at aroun $12k per year.

I think I have answered all your questions but if not please ask away.

Kate

Just thought to add that Flinders Christian College in Carrum Downs or Tyabb (2 sites) is also an excellent school and could be worth considering.

Guest Sam&G

Hi Kate,

Thanks so much for your reply - you certainly know a lot!!

We're coming over on a PR 176 visa, so we at least avoid the higher fees for schools.

Thanks for the tip about the Catholic schools, that might be an option for us but private school definitely aren't!

I've had a look at the St Peters website, and it looks good. Our boys are currently at a Church of England primary school, (we are all CofE but not regular church goers) and I wondered how this affects enrollment.

Also the school seems to be yrs 7-10, what about 11 & 12, or is that called something else there?

Alkira might be an option and from what I can find out online Hillsmeade Primary has good results - does it have a good reputation? Hopefully the first year results won't reflect the future of the school, and the head seems to have a good reputation too.

We move out on 1st Sept, (staying in Harkaway) so in theory from what you've explained, we could rent in Lynbrook or Lyndhurst and the boys would go to Lynbrook Primary - we 'just' have to get a rental sorted!!

I've read a few other posts about preparing a rental pack, with reference letters, bank statements and offers of paying a few months rent up front. Can you offer us any advice on anything else we can do to secure a rental when houses are in short supply? How many months rent up front would you suggest? 3? 6?

thanks again, Sam

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Kate,

Thanks so much for your reply - you certainly know a lot!!

We're coming over on a PR 176 visa, so we at least avoid the higher fees for schools.

Thanks for the tip about the Catholic schools, that might be an option for us but private school definitely aren't!

I've had a look at the St Peters website, and it looks good. Our boys are currently at a Church of England primary school, (we are all CofE but not regular church goers) and I wondered how this affects enrollment.

Also the school seems to be yrs 7-10, what about 11 & 12, or is that called something else there?

Alkira might be an option and from what I can find out online Hillsmeade Primary has good results - does it have a good reputation? Hopefully the first year results won't reflect the future of the school, and the head seems to have a good reputation too.

We move out on 1st Sept, (staying in Harkaway) so in theory from what you've explained, we could rent in Lynbrook or Lyndhurst and the boys would go to Lynbrook Primary - we 'just' have to get a rental sorted!!

I've read a few other posts about preparing a rental pack, with reference letters, bank statements and offers of paying a few months rent up front. Can you offer us any advice on anything else we can do to secure a rental when houses are in short supply? How many months rent up front would you suggest? 3? 6?

thanks again, Sam

Hi Sam

St Peters definately goes to Yr 12 and has since the first graduates in 1996.

Berwick would be an ideal place for you as well. Berwick Secondary is the best government school, however, getting a rental in their zone can be quite difficult.

If I remember rightly you are staying in Sue's in Harkaway so both Sue and myself can provide you with a reference. Having an Australian reference really does work in your favour as most agents cannot be bothered calling the UK. If you can offer 3 months up front that would again work for you or even adding $5 or $10 on the weekly rent has worked for some. Personally, I would see how you go when you arrive, if you are looking on the Chase estate area of Berwick for example there are more rentals available than in the BSC Zone so I would try not to offer the 3 months up front unless you really loved the house and it ticked every single box for you. If you saw a house in Lynbrook or Berwick Secondary College Zone (BSC) then I would be tempted to offer the 3 months up front.

Hope this makes sense I didn't sleep last night so my brain is still in sleep mode.:SLEEP:

Guest Sam&G
Hi Sam

St Peters definately goes to Yr 12 and has since the first graduates in 1996.

Berwick would be an ideal place for you as well. Berwick Secondary is the best government school, however, getting a rental in their zone can be quite difficult.

If I remember rightly you are staying in Sue's in Harkaway so both Sue and myself can provide you with a reference. Having an Australian reference really does work in your favour as most agents cannot be bothered calling the UK. If you can offer 3 months up front that would again work for you or even adding $5 or $10 on the weekly rent has worked for some. Personally, I would see how you go when you arrive, if you are looking on the Chase estate area of Berwick for example there are more rentals available than in the BSC Zone so I would try not to offer the 3 months up front unless you really loved the house and it ticked every single box for you. If you saw a house in Lynbrook or Berwick Secondary College Zone (BSC) then I would be tempted to offer the 3 months up front.

Hope this makes sense I didn't sleep last night so my brain is still in sleep mode.

Thanks again for sharing all your info, I hope your reasons for not sleeping were good ones?? Everything made sense. :cute:

Thank you very much for your offer of a reference letter, that would be very much appreciated. We have a reference from our estate agent here (just sold the house) and will get references from our neighbours etc, but obviously an Aussie reference will hold far more weight.

Yes you're right, we're staying at Sue's place. At what point would you advise me to approach her re a reference. Right now she hasn't even met us obviously, so hopefully a reference written within a week for the first viewings on the Saturday would be fantastic if possible. We will be on our best behaviour - as we always are of course! :laugh:

Yes we are also considering Berwick, it seems to have lots of great schools P-12. We're just not sure if it isn't just a little bit far out for jobs etc. As yet my husband doesn't have work lined up, so we have no idea where he will be travelling too. But that said, Berwick does look a lovely part of the world.

In short we want to try and avoid what we have here in the UK, we settled in a village with a not so great school and the boys go to the next village's school instead. We are also out of catchment for 2 great secondaries. But we moved here before we had kids, so didn't consider schools back then.

This time it is different obviously, and also I appreciate we would be very lucky to find an area with a great primary and secondary where we can rent and buy (and all decided upon from the UK!), but then again the internet does offer us a lot of insight into what Melbourne schools have going for them -along with words of wisdom from people like you.

We've still got 3+ months until we arrive in Melbourne, and I think we have reached the point where we've researched so much that we just need to be able to see the places and schools with our own eyes. Can't wait!

Thanks very much for the info regarding what to offer in advance when we view rentals too.

Bye for now, Sam x

• 5 years later...

Hi Ladies

I have read your messages and I wonder if you could help provide me with some advice. I am probably in the same predicament regarding secondary schools. We currently live in the Lyndhurst Area and my child goes to school in Lynbrook, however we are not sure of where to send him for secondary which is coming up quick.

Any advise on schools you have would be appreciated.

Thanks

CLC

Thanks again for sharing all your info, I hope your reasons for not sleeping were good ones?? Everything made sense. :cute:

Thank you very much for your offer of a reference letter, that would be very much appreciated. We have a reference from our estate agent here (just sold the house) and will get references from our neighbours etc, but obviously an Aussie reference will hold far more weight.

Yes you're right, we're staying at Sue's place. At what point would you advise me to approach her re a reference. Right now she hasn't even met us obviously, so hopefully a reference written within a week for the first viewings on the Saturday would be fantastic if possible. We will be on our best behaviour - as we always are of course! :laugh:

Yes we are also considering Berwick, it seems to have lots of great schools P-12. We're just not sure if it isn't just a little bit far out for jobs etc. As yet my husband doesn't have work lined up, so we have no idea where he will be travelling too. But that said, Berwick does look a lovely part of the world.

In short we want to try and avoid what we have here in the UK, we settled in a village with a not so great school and the boys go to the next village's school instead. We are also out of catchment for 2 great secondaries. But we moved here before we had kids, so didn't consider schools back then.

This time it is different obviously, and also I appreciate we would be very lucky to find an area with a great primary and secondary where we can rent and buy (and all decided upon from the UK!), but then again the internet does offer us a lot of insight into what Melbourne schools have going for them -along with words of wisdom from people like you.

We've still got 3+ months until we arrive in Melbourne, and I think we have reached the point where we've researched so much that we just need to be able to see the places and schools with our own eyes. Can't wait!

Thanks very much for the info regarding what to offer in advance when we view rentals too.

Bye for now, Sam x

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Ladies

I have read your messages and I wonder if you could help provide me with some advice. I am probably in the same predicament regarding secondary schools. We currently live in the Lyndhurst Area and my child goes to school in Lynbrook, however we are not sure of where to send him for secondary which is coming up quick.

Any advise on schools you have would be appreciated.

Thanks

CLC

Hi @CLC welcome to the forum. We lived in Lyndhurst when there was only the figtree estate and everything else was fields. Back then Lyndhurst secondary had a bad reputation and as that was the only state school in our zone we chose St Peters and were very impressed with the school. I know just before we left they were building another campus.

Archived