Just need to vent - visa and timing of inlaws!!!

Guest Mrs Nix

Guest Mrs Nix

Well we are in the last stages of our visa, police checks being done in SA and UK ones just about to be posted - getting the house ready to put on the Market as soon as we get the visa, I am planning to go out at the end of the school holidays in early September, so my Daughter doesn't have to start a new school year here in UK. (provided we get visas but everything is happening so quickly I have no doubt) :biggrin:

So my father in law phones last night...tells us he is arriving on the 3rd of September (the day School starts) Staying with us for a few days, heading off to Italy then coming back around the 10th or so for his 60th birthday, tickets booked and non refundable.:mad: What is the point of coming to see the Kids when we will all be at work and school after a long 6 week holiday!!! OK so he wants to be here from his birthday - but surely it just doesn't make sense!!

So now I feel obliged to stick around cos lets face it, it will be a long long time til he sees us all again. But then My Daughter will have to start year 2 ( for a month) and I won't be able to resign when I want to ( I work term time only and was hoping to resign when the kids I look after go to big school ) and even though its not the end of the world its SO annoying when people don't consult you on your plans!!! we may have sold the house by then - then what?:arghh:

Still fuming

Inlaws just never get it! I feel your frustration Mrs Nix! But i'm so pleased you're almost at the end of your application, we applied for our business visa late last year and still havent been asked for our police checks or medicals, is this normal? And i would really like to start my uni degree in perth at the beginning of 2011.:frown: Sorry just needed to vent. Hope all goes well with your father in law. Sandra :)

I agree, inlaws can be such a pain. However, Why do you need to send your children back to school or delay your resignation? Spend some time with your FIL, then head out to Australia.

Our daughter finished school at the end of the Christmas term in December and started school in Australia at the start of term 2 in April. In the intervening period we spent time with family in the UK, travelled around Europe, spent time in Asia and turned up in Australia in March in time for our container to arrive.

Spend the time as a family with your FIL and enjoy it. 2 weeks of UK school will not make much difference as the curriculum in Australia is completely different. :wubclub:

Guest Mrs Nix
What a shame you didnt let your inlaws in on your plans in advance. I guess it is a bit late for him to change his birthday - you could always tell him you wont be there.

He is aware of our plans, but not exact dates, but he never told us the dates he was coming until he booked it, usually when people are planning to come stay with you they check first if its ok..

We plan to validate in early October and will be spending some time in Sydney with friends. We had intended to go Mid September but luckily we checked with our friends first before booking flights (just in case) and guess what!!! they had already made plans for that time so we simply delayed our trip for a few weeks.

If on the other hand we had already booked flights then we would have fully accepted that it was our own fault for not checking with them first and we would have had to stay in a hotel instead. We would not have blamed them for a single minute.

I would be inclined to explain the situation to your in laws and tell them that if the house is sold etc then they will have to make alternative arrangements. They already knew you were making plans so they SHOULD HAVE CHECKED

Eeeeek that sounds harsh, sorry not in a good mood today.

All the best, hope it goes OK in the end

Archived