Difficulty getting a permanent job on a temporary partner visa

boganbear

Hi

I have a partner visa which is temporary at the moment. It should be converted to permanent in the next few months but I have had no luck getting a permanent job despite my visa saying I have full work rights. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm a librarian with many years experience and whilst you do need certain skills which many people do not have, its not rocket science!!

I have applied for many jobs which I have plenty of experience and qualifications only to be told after interview that I dont have enough experience or too much. I was told recently, despite having over 10 years experience and proof of it and excellent references. I am finding this extremely frustrating as some of them have been dream jobs and excellent pay which would set us up for a life here.

I have not had much trouble getting interviews and been interviewd for most jobs I have applied for but I get the impression that this is just an excuse to racially discriminate.

My current contract is finishing at the end of May and so far I have been lucky in only being unemployed for a week but until my permanent residency is approved I fear that I am not going to get any job now and I have no idea how long that is going to take.

Trying to get a job in government related fields has been impossible and the APS rules state that only Australian citizens can apply (although they do have discretion to waive them). The irony of this is that my case officer for approving my visa in the UK was neither Australian or British but from somewhere else in the EU, so this policy gets changed when it suits the Australian authorities.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Cheers

Mark

Guest jayde

Interesting.... Have you asked what reason you have been passed over after the interviews, maybe there reasons could help with the next one.

Did the Case Officer tell you he didnt have citizenship of either Britain or Australia?

Good Luck,

Guest Jane1991

Sorry to hear that Mr.Bear.

Unfortunately it can be very hard to land a decent job without PR when you are looking for jobs outside a few specific industries like healthcare ... finance etc.

Its a lot of pen pushing to get someone through ENS when employers can easily get a PR to fill the position. Or even take a less competent one because he has the PR.

But I am pretty sure you will be fine as soon as you get the PR. Yes employers don't want to say ... "I know you are brilliant but we want to take only PRs ...its too much hassle otherwise)

Good luck .... its only a few months right

You're not the only one :hug:

I think some of the employers out there think that it's just a temporary visa and not what it is: it's provisional which is as good as permanent. I'm worried about taking short-term contracts because I don't want to end up contracting for the rest of my life (I don't like the uncertainty of contracting) and filling up my resume with contracting work. I really don't think it's discrimination just a simple lack of understanding on behalf of the employers when it comes to the partner and spouse visas.

I hope that PR will bring the breakthrough you need :hug:

You're not the only one :hug:

I think some of the employers out there think that it's just a temporary visa and not what it is: it's provisional which is as good as permanent. I'm worried about taking short-term contracts because I don't want to end up contracting for the rest of my life (I don't like the uncertainty of contracting) and filling up my resume with contracting work. I really don't think it's discrimination just a simple lack of understanding on behalf of the employers when it comes to the partner and spouse visas.

I hope that PR will bring the breakthrough you need :hug:

hi

I dont want to take temp contracts but I have no choice...its either some money or no money at all. so far I have been lucky but it might not last. You are right, it seems most employers don't want to know unless you are on PR even though partner visas are different to temporary ones. I shall be so happy when i can put Australian Permanent Resident on on my CV.

Someone also asked how did i know my case officer wasnt British or Australian? I simply asked them and they told me where they were from. I have no problem with that but i do have a problem when the Australian government says i cannot work for them until I am a citizen but employs other nationalities when it suits them. Roll on 2012!!

Try local government libraries and the universities they also have library type jobs.

The trouble may not only be your visa (temporary versus PR) I have found that in many cases there is already a person in place for the job and the advertising is a mere formality.

Good luck hope you find something soon.

Archived