register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest marie_07

Best areas in south australia

Guest marie_07

We are looking at areas in south australia and had adelaide in mind. We have never been to Oz so basing info on research in books and on web. Anyone who has lived their or living there and could help us on areas in the south would be good. I have children at secondary school and 2 under 5s and would need nursery for my youngest. I am a social worker hubby is an engineer.

Maria

Guest YellowGecko

I'm going to LOVE answering this one!!!

I lived in beautiful South Oz for 32 years!!!

Mount Gambier is the prettiest, child friendly place on the planet.

You will love it. Be sure to visit the famous Blue Lake. Great place to bring up kids.

Amazing schools. Reid Park (Mount Gambier) Prmary School is one of the best

primary schools in the state. Warm friendly people...shops, and everything you need.

Also...

Adelaide is a lovely city, just like a big country town with a beach!

If you live in either Mount Gambier or Adelaide you cannot go wrong.

Blackwood, Norwood, Glenelg Belair and Stirling are very pretty places to call home, and all within 25 mins of the city centre. ENJOY South Australia it is one of the most beautiful yet under-rated/stated places in Oz.

Guest marie_07

Many thanks for your post, here in UK we r on the doorstep of the country yet close to many towns. We love the country side and the views and would love to have this in Oz. Im not sure i could move to a main city which is very build up and happy to commute a bit to work if needed.

Maria

Guest rayman1

None, LOL

Yes I agree- SA is lovely though I live in Melbourne. I always love the beautiful birds when we go over to Adelaide and going on the tram to Glenelg. You can also go on trips to Kangaroo Island which is a nature reserve from there. It is not a big city though and some find this a problem. We also like the Barossa Valley where the wineries are and the Clare Valley if you like rural scenery, though this is a bit far out.

Guest samadini S
I'm going to LOVE answering this one!!!

I lived in beautiful South Oz for 32 years!!!

Mount Gambier is the prettiest, child friendly place on the planet.

You will love it. Be sure to visit the famous Blue Lake. Great place to bring up kids.

Amazing schools. Reid Park (Mount Gambier) Prmary School is one of the best

primary schools in the state. Warm friendly people...shops, and everything you need.

Also...

Adelaide is a lovely city, just like a big country town with a beach!

If you live in either Mount Gambier or Adelaide you cannot go wrong.

Blackwood, Norwood, Glenelg Belair and Stirling are very pretty places to call home, and all within 25 mins of the city centre. ENJOY South Australia it is one of the most beautiful yet under-rated/stated places in Oz.

I would like to get some more information with regard to SA.

Thanks.

Samadi

We are looking at areas in south australia and had adelaide in mind. We have never been to Oz so basing info on research in books and on web. Anyone who has lived their or living there and could help us on areas in the south would be good. I have children at secondary school and 2 under 5s and would need nursery for my youngest. I am a social worker hubby is an engineer.

Maria

I think a lot of what you need to consider is based around where you will find work. While Mt Gambier may be lovely, will it have employment prospects for you?

Adelaide is a lovely city. Small compared to the likes of Sydney or Melbourne. However it does sprawl out a long way so you can be 45 minutes from the CBD and still be in the suburbs. It is on the gulf so the beaches and water are great. Down the coast you won't get such water and its usually far more windy down the coast as you leave the gulf behind.

Adelaide has plenty to keep us occupied and for me, a person who has lived rural for most of my adult life, I actually don't mind living in the city. I personally prefer Glenelg or Unley, Brighton areas to live but these are all on the expensive side. Other areas further out will give you plenty of options and also a reasonable commute into the CBD. Hallet Cove, Port Noarlunga and similar all seem to have ex pat communities and I would think decent schools.

If you have teenagers and younger children you may find somewhere in or near Adelaide suits you better.

I've never visited Mt Gambier but have family living there. Its worth noting that some of the children in the family moved into Adelaide once they had left school and finished uni. Its meant to be lovely but it is 5 hours or so from Adelaide and I am not sure how much else is down there.

All I can say is it is very different there than the UK. You say about built up but tbh its not built up in the way the UK is. Its not all tiny houses stacked on top of each other. There is a lot more space and so it tends to sprawl over it. Living 'rural' in south Australia while lovely in one way would give me serious concerns, especially with kids. Not only for the possible lack of interaction, interesting things to do but the fire risk in summer is also something to consider.

Perhaps visit our sister site, Poms in Adelaide. You'll probably find more info over there about living in SA and Adelaide than you will here :)

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/