12 year old Education - Help

Guest potterfamily

Guest potterfamily

Hi, we are still living in UK but can migrate to OZ on sponsorship. Our dilema is do we move our 12 year old before he takes his options in year 9 or take a deep breath and move to OZ. I know the schooling is different over there!

Has anybody else been in the same situation with their children and did you move your children if you did how did they cope ?

It wont matter one iota. As long as he is younger than 16 when you get here he can do just what he wants. Not only is it a totally different system it is a whole system of different systems but in very general terms as long as he is here to make choices about what he wants to do in years 11 and 12 he will be fine.

However if there is a chance that he will be returning to UK at some stage for his education then think very carefully about bringing him unless he has the time to return and get GCSEs and A levels under his belt.

Most kids will be either just turned or just about to turn 14 in year 9 here (states have different cut off dates but usually between April and July)

Hi there,

I agree with Quoll- things don't really hot up in schools until Year 11 age 16 ish. Until then there are no worries. Choose an area with a good school because a lot of schools are tied to the area you live in and it is hard to get in the good schools if you live 'out of zone'

We moved our 12 year old son in November 2008, just after he had started high school in the UK. It was hard for him to leave his friends behind, most of them he had known since primary school age.

He was the one we were most worried about out of our 3 kids, but I can honestly say he has never looked back. Made friends very quickly, has settled into the local school very well (it helped that he arrived here before the start of year 8 in February 2009, so he started high school at the same time as everyone else) and he loves it here now. Has turned into a true Aussie beach bum - the shaved head has been replaced by bushy locks and he has tan lines where his wetsuit has been!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Advice on northern Beache

Also think about where you would place him .A lot of people move their child at the end of the UK school year. I would suggest you then place your son in the year with his cohorts which would be year 8 and let him "repeat " for 5 months until the end of the school year here which is December then after the summer hols he can go into yr 9 with friends his own age

Dont worry too much I agree with previous writers that he shoulld settle in quickly and the repeated 5 months will give him some confidence at a time when so much else is unsettling

Archived