More BA strike action possible

Guest proud2beaussie

Guest proud2beaussie

There is a possibility that British Airways will face a fresh round of strike action by cabin crew,this has been reported in an industry newsletter today.

BA faces 20 days of strikes-10 May, 2010

British Airways faces 20 days of strike action by cabin crew including a walk out during the next school half-term holidays.

Four sets of industrial action are planned by the Unite union: May 18-22, May 24-28, May 30-June 3 and June 5-9.

BA plans to run all flights from Gatwick and London City Airport as well as a "sunstantial part" of its long haul network from Heathrow as well as services to all short haul destinations (see separate story).

Unite’s joint general secretaries Derek Simpson and Tony Woodley said: “Passengers and investors alike will be dismayed that British Airways' management rejected an approach by the union over the weekend, after their offer had been comprehensively turned down by their own employees.

“Cabin crew are left with no choice but to take further strike action.

Let's hope they sort it all out before any further strike action is taken.

Guest littlesarah

Yes, let's hope so! I'm supposed to flying back for a quick 'between semester' visit; and BA cabin crew could completely wreck my plans!

Maybe they'll be happy when their employer goes to the wall and they end up working for a different airline. After all, their major competitors on the long-haul routes have invested in shiny new A380s and are promoting the comfort of their purchases!

Guest proud2beaussie

BA has ordered 12 A380's,but the first one is not scheduled for delivery till 2012,as regards BA's future I actually think they should get out of the Australia market and concentrate on servicing it's European short and medium haul market,the product that they offer on routes like LHR to Frankfurt,Amsterdan,etc is very good and brings in cash for them,they make very little on the Australia route,I think they should pull out of Australia and sell their Australian slots to a competitor like Emirates who has the resources to service the market,this would enable them to free up aircraft for use on the US routes and they could adjust their A380 order as well and save some money.

Guest littlesarah

You've made a very good point, Nigel; although I personally have benefitted from their operations over here. The international air travel scene has changed a great deal since BA's inception, and it remains to be seen what they'll do. And who knows how they'll justify whatever their choices are?!

Certainly the feedback I've heard is that other airlines are developing better reputations for service on the Europe-Australia route, and if it weren't for my getting a deal via a friend we probably wouldn't be flying with them this time! In a way I feel like I shouldn't bitch about BA seeing as we didn't pay full price for our tickets - but I hope that we don't end up getting pushed down the priority list because of how we came by them!

I'm an optimist, so I'm hoping that if we have to re-book it'll end up working in our favour - I could do with an extra week or so in which to recover from exam time stress!

Guest proud2beaussie

I remain hopeful that strike action can be avoided,as far as I am aware the parties are still talking and trying to find some common ground so hopefully the strike will be called off but it's wise to be prepared in case it does go ahead.

Guest littlesarah

According the BA website, they will publish more info on Tuesday afternoon (UK time); so I'll know more then. I'm sure it's not too late to avert a strike, but the impression I have is that both sides are being rather intransigent.

Ever the girl guide, I am prepared! But given that I am only able to take holiday during the students' recess time, it would mean postponing until Summer; but I'm really not sure that I can take 3 weeks off during that period (& I don't really want to visit when it's cold, damp & dark). Grrr! (My husband wishes he'd earned 20k plus flight discounts when he was working in the UK as a skilled craftsman)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest proud2beaussie

Latest news is not looking good,from Travel Weekly-:

BA strikes to go ahead as Unite wins appeal

(20 May 2010)

British Airways cabin crew look set to resume their strike action after the Unite union won its appeal against a court ruling that the proposed action was illegal.

Following Unite's victory, which was supported by two of the three judges, it has warned the postponed strike could resume as early as midnight tonight.

The Unite union, which represents 90% of BA’s cabin crew, lodged the appeal after the High Court ruled on Monday that the strikes would be unlawful.

Judges had claimed that the union had failed to “send everyone eligible to vote (on industrial action) details of the exact breakdown of the ballot result”.

Members of Unite were due to walk out from May 18-22 inclusive, then from May 24-28, May 30-June 3 and June 5-9, the last strike ending just days before the start of the football World Cup in South Africa.

Despite the High Court decision at the beginning of the week, there has still been disruption to BA services this week as the airline had already started putting contingency plans in place.

I urge any PIO members who are booked to travel with BA in the next few weeks to contact the airline

as soon as possible to enquire about the status of their flight.

Latest news is not looking good,from Travel Weekly-:

I urge any PIO members who are booked to travel with BA in the next few weeks to contact the airline

as soon as possible to enquire about the status of their flight.

I would suggest PIO members don't fly with BA in the near future while they define their wage levels.

Guest littlesarah

BA are still trying to work out their definitive schedules, as far as I can tell from their website. I was offered the choice of re-booking, cancelling or waiting until the flight status was announced.

Actually, it's worked out well for us, so far. I've rebooked our flights, and will now be flying out at the time that I wanted to but was much more expensive, and we've scored a couple of extra days by arrivng at the weekend. Husband has lots of work on for the next 3 weeks so it's worked out OK that way, too (seeing as he only gets paid when he's at work).

My friend who works for BA here in Aus tells me that last time cabin crew were on strike 90% of flights from Aus were operated. How that would play out after 2 or 3 weeks of strikes I don't know. (My guess is not so good)

I can't comment on whether I'd fly BA without getting the discount I scored, but I probably would've gone Singapore because I like the A380, they were great last year and it would boost my miles total!

I'm interested to see where this whole fiasco will end up, as I get the impression that both sides are somewhat entrenched in their positions. BA management won't want to climb down on everything because they'd feel that they had set a precedent (i.e. strike & you get what you want); and unions want what they feel their members are entitled to.

Guest littlesarah
Will this affect Quantas as they are operated by British Airways?

My daughter is flying in June, to Brissy.

Brig xx

BA & Qantas codeshare, so your daughter may well not be travelling on a BA flight. If she is, I would advise her to check the qantas website for further information. She would in all likelihood be given the same options as customers who booked with BA directly.

The final strike in June is from 5-9, so as long as she is flying outside those dates her plans should not be affected.

BA & Qantas codeshare, so your daughter may well not be travelling on a BA flight. If she is, I would advise her to check the qantas website for further information. She would in all likelihood be given the same options as customers who booked with BA directly.

The final strike in June is from 5-9, so as long as she is flying outside those dates her plans should not be affected.

Phew:D

She will be flying on the 23rd of June, so fingers crossed.

thanks

Brig x:wubclub:

Guest proud2beaussie

Qantas has issued an update about passengers booked on BA operated codeshares.

The update is available on the Qantas industry site and can be accessed here:

http://www.qantas.com.au/agents/dyn/qf/policies/BAIndustrialWaiver210510.pdf

I reiterate that any PIO members booked to travel with BA as from next Monday should contact either their travel agent or BA direct,or log on to the BA website.

BA cabin crew dispute 2010 - general information - British Airways

I remain hopeful that strike action can be avoided,as far as I am aware the parties are still talking and trying to find some common ground so hopefully the strike will be called off but it's wise to be prepared in case it does go ahead.

Acas are involved and they have a very good reputation for conciliation so fingers crossed ( p.s it not just a plug because I work for them ):biglaugh:

Guest proud2beaussie

If industrial action isn't bad enough news then this is.

BA has today posted a loss of £531 million pounds.

British Airways has reported pre-tax losses of £531 million for the 12 months to March.

The airline blames a £1 billion fall in revenue to £7,994 million, but said losses were partially offset by cost cuts including a £597 million cut in fuel costs and a £390 million reduction in other operating costs.

The results also reflect the impact of strike action, with 15 more days of strikes by cabin crew due to begin on Monday.

The loss is the largest since BA was privatised, and comes on the back of a £401 million pre-tax loss last year.

Chief executive Willie Walsh said: “Despite a £1 billion drop in revenue during the year, our determined efforts on cost control mean that costs have reduced at a comparable level and our operating loss is virtually the same as in the previous year.

“To be in the midst of the biggest economic downturn in 60 years and produce the same operating figure as last year shows the hard work that has been put into steering our business through the recession.”

He added: “Total costs are down by almost £1 billion, comprising a £597 million reduction in fuel costs and a £390 million reduction in non-fuel costs.

“The cut in non-fuel costs has been achieved by the introduction of permanent structural change in the way that we work allied with capacity reductions and cuts in external spend.”

I reckon it's time the CEO took some blame for poor management practices and fell on his sword.

If I was on the BA board the first thing I would do is ask for Willie Walsh's resignation and the second would be to hire former Qantas CEO Geoff Dixon.

If industrial action isn't bad enough news then this is.

I reckon it's time the CEO took some blame for poor management practices and fell on his sword.

Seconded. After his 'the buck stops with me' quote after the T5 debacle and then sacking two of the BA directors, this is just icing on the cake.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-559729/Two-British-Airways-directors-sacked-Terminal-5-fiasco--Willie-Walsh-stays.html

Archived