Suspension of General Skilled Migration

tcillc

Hi Roundomus and Gollywobbler,

Thanks for the info! By medical did you mean medical doctors/allied health incl pharmacists? Yes, the problem is that there arent any jobs-the govt has opened up too many pharmacy schools too fast-doubled pharmacy grads in WA in a span of I think 3-4yrs..

Perhaps pharmacy will be on the 3 year provisional visa thing rather than being on the 886/176 for peolpe offshore..too hard to speculate really....Hard also to decide whether to stay in Perth or go regional!

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WA, SA and the NTs all want to boost the sizes of the populations in their States. One of the Bosscats (the Minister himself, I think) has told them that they are not allowed to use the Immi program for the purposes of population-boosting, apparently. :policeman:

I don't know if this Government realizes that in order to boost up the economy, you do need, to some extent, a certain amount of population. Look at India and China !!! :biglaugh: How do you expect the resources to be used up and reinvestments if you do not have people !!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest steve2424

Hi all.

Very sorry for not being in touch for a while. I have finally sent off my sent al the relevant info to the TRA, sent beginning of June so I hope to hear back from them soon.

Had held off due to the immigration suspension, I had not been sure as to weather or not I could send the application to the TRA with the suspension in place.

I am an electronic Engineer by trade and work as a digital electronics Church organ builder and I have been employed in the same job for the past 20years and I am ready to move on, Australia seemed to be the place for me and my family, I have two young children, I am 35yeras of age myself and I know if I don’t apply now I will never take the plunge. I have family already in Perth, which would be my destination; I hope to apply for the sponsored VISA sometime in July and would love to start a new life in Australia in early 2011.

My family and myself are very hopeful that we can achieve this dream.

Steve

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi all.

Very sorry for not being in touch for a while. I have finally sent off my sent al the relevant info to the TRA, sent beginning of June so I hope to hear back from them soon.

Had held off due to the immigration suspension, I had not been sure as to weather or not I could send the application to the TRA with the suspension in place.

I am an electronic Engineer by trade and work as a digital electronics Church organ builder and I have been employed in the same job for the past 20years and I am ready to move on, Australia seemed to be the place for me and my family, I have two young children, I am 35yeras of age myself and I know if I don’t apply now I will never take the plunge. I have family already in Perth, which would be my destination; I hope to apply for the sponsored VISA sometime in July and would love to start a new life in Australia in early 2011.

My family and myself are very hopeful that we can achieve this dream.

Steve

Hi Steve

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Very well done for submitting your PASA application to TRA!

From now on, it gets complicated but please try to bear with me.

On 1st July 2010, a new SOL will come into Law in Australia. The existing SOL classifies occupations according to the ASCO Dictionary. The new SOL uses the ANZSCO Dictionary instead. In many cases, there is a direct correlation between the new description of the occupation in ANZSCO and the old one out of ASCO.

So first of all, please read the link below:

Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO)

Having got the general gist, next please study Schedule 3 of the document below:

http://www.immi.gov.au/employers/_pdf/asco-anzsco-sol-correlations.pdf

On the left, Schedule 3 is the list of occupations that are on the new SOL, classified according to ANZSCO. There are fewer occupations on the new SOL than there are on the existing SOL. Further to the right, Schedule 3 tells us what the old ASCO Code number and job title were for a given occupation.

I know that this is not a very good description but I really am trying my best! What you have to figure out is whether the occupation that you have nominated to TRA is an occupation that is on the new SOL, please.

For simplicity, let us do this one step at a time. Please could you tell me whether or not your occupation is included in the new SOL and then we can take it from there. All is NOT lost if your occupation is not on the new SOL but I think it is easier just to deal with one thing at a time with you, for the moment.

Cheers

Gill

Guest guest41018
Hi Roundomus and Gollywobbler,

Thanks for the info! By medical did you mean medical doctors/allied health incl pharmacists? Yes, the problem is that there arent any jobs-the govt has opened up too many pharmacy schools too fast-doubled pharmacy grads in WA in a span of I think 3-4yrs..

Perhaps pharmacy will be on the 3 year provisional visa thing rather than being on the 886/176 for peolpe offshore..too hard to speculate really....Hard also to decide whether to stay in Perth or go regional!

Given the high proportion of those at the pharmacy schools who happen to be from, say, the subcontinent, I daresay the attempt to increase numbers of pharmacists might, in fact, backfire - if foreign students refuse to do the course now as a result of the removal from the new SOL, who knows what might happen in terms of their strategy.

Guest steve2424
Hi Steve

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Very well done for submitting your PASA application to TRA!

From now on, it gets complicated but please try to bear with me.

On 1st July 2010, a new SOL will come into Law in Australia. The existing SOL classifies occupations according to the ASCO Dictionary. The new SOL uses the ANZSCO Dictionary instead. In many cases, there is a direct correlation between the new description of the occupation in ANZSCO and the old one out of ASCO.

So first of all, please read the link below:

Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO)

Having got the general gist, next please study Schedule 3 of the document below:

http://www.immi.gov.au/employers/_pdf/asco-anzsco-sol-correlations.pdf

On the left, Schedule 3 is the list of occupations that are on the new SOL, classified according to ANZSCO. There are fewer occupations on the new SOL than there are on the existing SOL. Further to the right, Schedule 3 tells us what the old ASCO Code number and job title were for a given occupation.

I know that this is not a very good description but I really am trying my best! What you have to figure out is whether the occupation that you have nominated to TRA is an occupation that is on the new SOL, please.

For simplicity, let us do this one step at a time. Please could you tell me whether or not your occupation is included in the new SOL and then we can take it from there. All is NOT lost if your occupation is not on the new SOL but I think it is easier just to deal with one thing at a time with you, for the moment.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill, Thank you for this info.

There appears to be more and more info out all the time.

With regards to your question, yes my occupation is listed, and is through the TRA.

Electronic Equipment Trades Worker 342313 or

Electronics Engineer 233411.

Hope this helps.

Thank you again for your help

Steve

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill, Thank you for this info.

There appears to be more and more info out all the time.

With regards to your question, yes my occupation is listed, and is through the TRA.

Electronic Equipment Trades Worker 342313 or

Electronics Engineer 233411.

Hope this helps.

Thank you again for your help

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks very much for your very prompt reply.

Right. The first hurdle is out of the way. If your occupation is on the SOL, the next thing to consider is State sponsorship by WA since you want to move to WA. Each of the State Governments has its own State Immigration Department, each of which have their own websites. The fast, reliable link to all of the State Immi websites is below:

State and Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

You might as well have a look at the Immi website for WA and get used to the layout etc, although at the moment you cannot do anything concrete as far as securing State sponsorship from WA is concerned.

Thursday 1st July 2010 is the start of the 2010-2011 Financial Year in Australia. The new SOL will become Law on 1st July and so forth.

A new conceptual animal has been devised for the new Financial Year. This animal is called the State Migration Plan. The idea of the WA SMP is that WA and DIAC will between them agree about which occupations need to be attracted to WA urgently. If your occupation appears on the SMP for WA and you receive State sponsorship from WA then DIAC say that your visa application should be processed within about 12 months of your submitting the visa application to DIAC (on-line so actually submitting it does not take that long.)

So, what does the SMP for WA say? At the moment, nobody knows, not even WA themselves. When the SMPs are eventually finalised, they will be published on the State websites of each of the States, along with the instructions for applying for State sponsorship from the State in question.

The most reliable indication of progress came from NSW 24 hours ago when 2 lawyer members of Poms in Oz spoke to the relevant State Immi lady for NSW. When this lady was asked how long it will be before the SMP for NSW is finalised, she said, "God knows." She hopes that it will be sorted out sooner rather than later but she has no idea when that will be.

The NT are saying that they think they will be ready to publish their own SMP on 1st September 2010. They might already have finalised their agreement with DIAC or the informaiton that has suddenly appeared on the NT's website might be nothing more than wishful thinking. We will just have to wait and see.

At the moment, WA have said in the last 24 hours that they definitely won't be ready to publish anything on 1st July but they hope to be able to say more on about 15th July. If they say anything, they will say it on their WA State Immi website, so you will need to keep a close eye on that for the next several weeks, please.

The ACT are saying more or less the same as WA and I have not heard what any of the remaining 4 States are saying.

With a bit of luck, though, your occupation will be on the SMP for WA. If it is not on the SMP, your occupation might still be on the new, "ordinary WAOIDL" instead. If it is then you would still be able to get "ordinary State sponsorship" from WA but DIAC say that in this scenario, finalising your visa application would probably take around 3 years from the time when DIAC receive it.

To double check for yourself why I am saying this, please send a completely blank e-mail to aspc.processing@immi.gov.au

That e-mail address is programmed to do nothing except send you an auto-reply that contains information from the ASPC, which would receive and process your visa application. The ASPC is the Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre. They process applications for the type of visa you have in mind, which is a GSM State sponsored subclass 176 visa.

You will get the auto-reply e-mail pretty quickly. Whenever I send for one, I usually get the reply within about 30 minutes. They are updated on Tuesday or Wednesday each week.

The e-mail reveals that if your occupation is on the SMP for WA and you are sponsored by WA, then your visa application will be in Processing Priority Category 2. If you have to rely on "ordinary State sponsorship" then your visa application will be in PP Category 5, which will take about 3 years according to DIAC.

The burble with the details of the sc 176 visa is below but please note that the information about the visas on the DIAC website is out of date, as are all of the State websites at the moment. The Minister changes his mind every 5 minutes and it is impossible for the IT boys to keep up with him, so all of the relevant websites are out of date for the time being.

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)

If all goes according "to plan" (ie according to what DIAC think will happen but nobody is sure how anything is actually going to work from 1st July onwards) the drill will be as follows:

1. You will get your skills assessment back from TRA. You cannot apply for State sponsorship and you cannot apply for the visa without the skills assessment from TRA, so you must wait for that before you can do anything else.

2. Once you get the OK from TRA, your next step will be to apply to WA for State sponsorship. WA say that they think it will take them around 6 months to process your application for SS once you submit the application (again, on-line.)

3. Once you have your SS, then you will submit the visa application to DIAC. The length of time that DIAC will take to process it will depend on whether your application is in Cat 2 or Cat 5.

"But I have a relly in Perth who could sponsor me very quickly," I hear you protest! Yerr, well, forget that idea my old son! The Minister does not favour Family sponsored GSM migration to Oz. He reckons that Family sponsored immigrants tend to have what he considers to be "poor employment outcomes" once they reach Oz. What he means is that - with some exceptions, eg Nurses - the chances are that the immigrant will simply get "a job" once he gets to Oz. Working in the job he is actually skilled at might entail the new migrant moving to the Backofbeyondup. He tends to forego that idea in favour of staying close to his family in Perth Metro instead and simply doing whatever job comes up. The Minister does not like this idea because (a) it doesn't do anything towards solving Australia's skills shortages; and (b) if you simply get a job in the local hardware store, that is a job that an Aussie could be doing instead of you, so you get the job whilst the Aussie sits on the dole, potentially. The Minister does not like this idea one bit, I assure you!

The Minister is determined to make it very difficult for someone like you to migrate to Australia from now on. Therefore you need to stay one jump ahead of him. Your best chance of doing that is via the State Government of WA, not via your family in Perth.

For the moment, please focus on the above. ANY of what I have said could change as far as the nuts & bolts are concerned. What I am saying is accurate at the moment but there are likely to be further changes from 1st July onwards and at the moment we don't know what those changes will be.

Cheers

Gill

Guest pearly shower

was wondering,i know that if you have an employer to sponsor you the rule that you have to have worked 12 out of the last 24 mths in your nominated occupation is irrevelant.is it the same if you have state sponsorship?

Guest Kulak
Hi Steve

Thanks very much for your very prompt reply.

Right. The first hurdle is out of the way. If your occupation is on the SOL, the next thing to consider is State sponsorship by WA since you want to move to WA. Each of the State Governments has its own State Immigration Department, each of which have their own websites. The fast, reliable link to all of the State Immi websites is below:

State and Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

You might as well have a look at the Immi website for WA and get used to the layout etc, although at the moment you cannot do anything concrete as far as securing State sponsorship from WA is concerned.

Thursday 1st July 2010 is the start of the 2010-2011 Financial Year in Australia. The new SOL will become Law on 1st July and so forth.

A new conceptual animal has been devised for the new Financial Year. This animal is called the State Migration Plan. The idea of the WA SMP is that WA and DIAC will between them agree about which occupations need to be attracted to WA urgently. If your occupation appears on the SMP for WA and you receive State sponsorship from WA then DIAC say that your visa application should be processed within about 12 months of your submitting the visa application to DIAC (on-line so actually submitting it does not take that long.)

So, what does the SMP for WA say? At the moment, nobody knows, not even WA themselves. When the SMPs are eventually finalised, they will be published on the State websites of each of the States, along with the instructions for applying for State sponsorship from the State in question.

The most reliable indication of progress came from NSW 24 hours ago when 2 lawyer members of Poms in Oz spoke to the relevant State Immi lady for NSW. When this lady was asked how long it will be before the SMP for NSW is finalised, she said, "God knows." She hopes that it will be sorted out sooner rather than later but she has no idea when that will be.

The NT are saying that they think they will be ready to publish their own SMP on 1st September 2010. They might already have finalised their agreement with DIAC or the informaiton that has suddenly appeared on the NT's website might be nothing more than wishful thinking. We will just have to wait and see.

At the moment, WA have said in the last 24 hours that they definitely won't be ready to publish anything on 1st July but they hope to be able to say more on about 15th July. If they say anything, they will say it on their WA State Immi website, so you will need to keep a close eye on that for the next several weeks, please.

The ACT are saying more or less the same as WA and I have not heard what any of the remaining 4 States are saying.

With a bit of luck, though, your occupation will be on the SMP for WA. If it is not on the SMP, your occupation might still be on the new, "ordinary WAOIDL" instead. If it is then you would still be able to get "ordinary State sponsorship" from WA but DIAC say that in this scenario, finalising your visa application would probably take around 3 years from the time when DIAC receive it.

To double check for yourself why I am saying this, please send a completely blank e-mail to aspc.processing@immi.gov.au

That e-mail address is programmed to do nothing except send you an auto-reply that contains information from the ASPC, which would receive and process your visa application. The ASPC is the Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre. They process applications for the type of visa you have in mind, which is a GSM State sponsored subclass 176 visa.

You will get the auto-reply e-mail pretty quickly. Whenever I send for one, I usually get the reply within about 30 minutes. They are updated on Tuesday or Wednesday each week.

The e-mail reveals that if your occupation is on the SMP for WA and you are sponsored by WA, then your visa application will be in Processing Priority Category 2. If you have to rely on "ordinary State sponsorship" then your visa application will be in PP Category 5, which will take about 3 years according to DIAC.

The burble with the details of the sc 176 visa is below but please note that the information about the visas on the DIAC website is out of date, as are all of the State websites at the moment. The Minister changes his mind every 5 minutes and it is impossible for the IT boys to keep up with him, so all of the relevant websites are out of date for the time being.

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)

If all goes according "to plan" (ie according to what DIAC think will happen but nobody is sure how anything is actually going to work from 1st July onwards) the drill will be as follows:

1. You will get your skills assessment back from TRA. You cannot apply for State sponsorship and you cannot apply for the visa without the skills assessment from TRA, so you must wait for that before you can do anything else.

2. Once you get the OK from TRA, your next step will be to apply to WA for State sponsorship. WA say that they think it will take them around 6 months to process your application for SS once you submit the application (again, on-line.)

3. Once you have your SS, then you will submit the visa application to DIAC. The length of time that DIAC will take to process it will depend on whether your application is in Cat 2 or Cat 5.

"But I have a relly in Perth who could sponsor me very quickly," I hear you protest! Yerr, well, forget that idea my old son! The Minister does not favour Family sponsored GSM migration to Oz. He reckons that Family sponsored immigrants tend to have what he considers to be "poor employment outcomes" once they reach Oz. What he means is that - with some exceptions, eg Nurses - the chances are that the immigrant will simply get "a job" once he gets to Oz. Working in the job he is actually skilled at might entail the new migrant moving to the Backofbeyondup. He tends to forego that idea in favour of staying close to his family in Perth Metro instead and simply doing whatever job comes up. The Minister does not like this idea because (a) it doesn't do anything towards solving Australia's skills shortages; and (b) if you simply get a job in the local hardware store, that is a job that an Aussie could be doing instead of you, so you get the job whilst the Aussie sits on the dole, potentially. The Minister does not like this idea one bit, I assure you!

The Minister is determined to make it very difficult for someone like you to migrate to Australia from now on. Therefore you need to stay one jump ahead of him. Your best chance of doing that is via the State Government of WA, not via your family in Perth.

For the moment, please focus on the above. ANY of what I have said could change as far as the nuts & bolts are concerned. What I am saying is accurate at the moment but there are likely to be further changes from 1st July onwards and at the moment we don't know what those changes will be.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

Is my understanding correct that from 1 July 2010 I'm as an applicant for visa 175 (applied in Nov 2009, moved to CSL in May 2010) will have a remote possibility that my application will be processed further? And steps I should take to speed up the process are: wait for SMP to see if my occupation is there, get SS (if my occupation is on SMP), re-apply for 176 (i.e. pay for the visa again), wait for the visa for 12 months?

Will I need to get CPA re-assessment too?

Many thanks in advance!

Archived