Suspension of General Skilled Migration

tcillc

Just checked DIAC website and it says:

Temporary suspension of certain General Skilled Migration (GSM) applications – 7 May

The Australian Government has decided to temporarily suspend the acceptance of certain General Skilled Migration (GSM) visa applications. This temporary measure will begin on 8 May 2010 and is expected to remain in effect until the end of 30 June 2010.

The temporary suspension applies only to primary (main) applicants for the following visa subclasses:

Subclass 175 – Skilled Independent (Migrant) visa

Subclass 176 – Skilled Sponsored (Migrant) visa

Subclass 475 – Skilled Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa.

Cannot open the attached PDF though

Edit: Can open the attached PDFs now.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Minister has today announced a temporary suspension of certain general skilled migration visas. The move hopes to ensure that all offshore general skilled applications made after today are in accordance with the occupations included on the new Skilled Occupation List (SOL), to be released later this month. The Minister has not indicated when the suspension will be lifted, however it will be no earlier than the announcement of the new SOL.

The Minister has announced that his Department will not accept applications for the following visa subclasses from 8 May 2010 until further notice:

• Subclass 175 – Skilled Independent;
  • Subclass 176 – Skilled Sponsored; and
  • Subclass 475 – Skilled Regional Sponsored.

Therefore, any applications received by the Department after 8 May 2010 for one of the above visa subclasses will be returned and the visa application charge refunded.

Please note that this suspension does not affect onshore general skilled migration visas.

More to come.

Cheers,

George Lombard

One of the FAQs:

It is not fair that the Government keeps changing the rules. Why was no prior notification given?

A key feature of the migration program is that it is continually reviewed and assessed for its relevance and outcomes in light of the economic and social needs of Australia. The program is modified as these needs change. The suspension is a temporary measure and is expected to be lifted from the end of the 2009-10 program year, that is at the end of 30 June 2010. It is necessary to ensure the occupational profile of applicants for skilled migration clearly reflects the needs of the Australian labour market and yields the maximum benefit to the Australian economy. It will also facilitate the transition from the current SOL to the new SOL.

Guest proud2beaussie
The temporary suspension will apply from 8 May 2010. It is expected that it will cease at the end of the

2009-10 program year, that is at the end of 30 June 2010, subject to the approval of the Governor-General in

Council of proposed amendments to the Migration Regulations 1994 which will enable the implementation of the new SOL.

Hi George,

Does the above quote indicate that the new SOL will come into effect from 1 July do you think?.

Cheers

Guest dragsterwish

DIAC shutting the door for biz temporarily.... kinda expected but painful for those who are rushing to submit before the new SOL list is out... Now they can't even do it!

This is quite unexpected - certainly none of the DIAC staff propounding the changes around Australia have let anything like this slip - and I assume it's related to the volume of applications being lodged by people who are, ironically, trying to beat the changes. You still have seven hours to do so by the way.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest proud2beaussie

Gill (Gollywobbler) was probably thinking the only interesting news she will wake up to today was the UK election result,boy is she in for a surprise!.

Guest guest17301

Does this mean they will process everthing else outstanding quickly? I actually called DIAC this morning to ask about my sponsorship of my Aunty, the lady told me they were only processing CSL cases currently. Not sure how correct that is as thought I'd seen non CSL grants recently.

This is so not right... The Govt. first make announcements that the new SOL list will be released on 30th April, 2010 and then do not honour their word. Then they said the list will be effectve 1st July, 2010 but again block the chances of any one even trying. People spend a lot of money on immigration and I know that the Government is not concerned about that but there has to be some feeling / consideration to another human being and if that is lacking... I have nothing to say !!

Gill (Gollywobbler) was probably thinking the only interesting news she will wake up to today was the UK election result,boy is she in for a surprise!.

Oh yes she is in for a very BIG surprise. Even though it has been awhile since I am awake, I feel that I have woken up from a beautiful dream into a nightmare !!

Guest adrianyts

The government will announce the new SOL later this month.

These changes do not affect international students applying for onshore general skilled migration visas.

oh boy, that will be another nitghmare ride...Make your application asap...God bless on your applications...

Just a short note to say that anyone who has a valid skills assessment and A$2525 but hasn't yet obtained a valid IELTS test result would still be able to apply now, until midnight tonight, Australian Eastern Standard Time, see What's New? Recent Changes in General Skilled Migration . Might be a gamble, might be a last chance. Good luck!

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest karen190572

Hi just recieved a succesful TRA application back i am in the process of applying for the 175 ... Thankgod my brother in law went on here this morning and read the news , i have done all my application prior to today so it was all ready and i am now lodging today .... wish me luck guys the clock is ticking !!

Hi just recieved a succesful TRA application back i am in the process of applying for the 175 ... Thankgod my brother in law went on here this morning and read the news , i have done all my application prior to today so it was all ready and i am now lodging today .... wish me luck guys the clock is ticking !!

Good luck to you !!!

Guest brownfamily

Good luck Karen....hope u get it lodged :wubclub:

Guest bcfrug

Good luck Karen and hopefully you get it through.

Just wanted to say i think people should give the DIAC a break, yes they are changing the rules and moving the goal posts constantly but thats what is required in these times of unstability in the world economy.

We as migrants dont really have a say in the matter. The DIAC are working in the interests of the Australian people and not in our interests which i admire and its one of the reasons i am hoping to set up life in Australia. You have to admire how they are looking after their own people and if that means messing up our plans so be it.

I know personally if the Irish government had taken a similar approach regarding migration we wouldnt be in the situation we are in now. Way too many emmigrants taking the state for a ride and milking the system. No jobs for Irish or others and no way of recovering now so fair play to the DIAC and the Ozzy Government as much as it hurts me to say it. I know my comments may annoy some people but look at it from an Australian Citizens point of view and you will see they are doing whats best for the Ozzy people. :smile:

Requirements for a valid e-lodged skilled application under affected skilled visa subclasses, include:

- a skills assessment

- payment of the Visa Application Charge

Hopefully the DIAC website will hold up under the undoubted numbers that will be trying to apply in the next 6¼ hours ...

Best regards.

Guest Devon 2 Down Under

Good luck x

Archived