How many years experience for RPL with non-IT degree?

GetMeDownUnder

Hi,

I have been doing plenty of reading in my quest to move to Oz but am still a little unsure as to the requirements.

I have been an analyst programmer for 5 years and have a BSc though it is not IT related. The link below suggests that I need 5 years experience.

Computing Professional -Applications and Analyst Programmer 2231-17 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience.

However, in the below thread the response was that you need 6 years experience, which is also what appears to be suggested in the ACS page. (I am wondering if this was not updated as I am sure the years required dropped from 6 to 5 recently).

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/81829-can-anyone-advise-acs-requirements.html

I have also emailed ACS but not had a response yet. Any advice would really be appreciated as I cannot do anything if I do not know my eligibility.

Guest eurosyl

Hi GetMeDownUnder,

You are mixing up 2 different requirements - one is the minimum requirement that the Oz gov deems necessary for such a role and the other is the minimum requirement that the Assessment Body (ACS) deems necessary for a positive assessment.

As you NEED a possitive assessment for the visa application - you need to meet the ACS requirements.

On the ASRI webpage you linked it reads:

Skills assessment authority

Before you can migrate to Australia as a skilled migrant you must have your skills assessed by the relevant national assessment authority. The assessment authority for your occupation is:

Australian Computer Society (ACS)

<snip>

To obtain a positive skills assessment for skilled migration, you will need to satisfy criteria set out by the ACS and usually need to meet a certain level of ICT professional experience.

For this it matters through what route you go:

• To get a positive assessment from the ACS in group A, you need a degree with a major in ICT and minimum 4 years of work experience.
  • If your education is not seen as a major in ICT, it may be suitable for group B (bachelor degree with a minor in ICT) but in that case you need 6 years of work experience. Check carefully the requirements for major/minor in ICT in the current PASAGuidelines at the ACS website.
  • If you cannot qualify for either group A or B you may need to go through RPL. This needs a minimum work experience of 6 years PLUS an amount of years that the ACS deems necessary to achieve a professional level, usually 2 years. This means for RPL a minimum of 8 years is needed.
  • Fortunately a few vendor qualifications are also assessed as Group B, requireing 6 years of work experience to get the positive assessment. These qualifications are specifically listed under group B in the PASA guidelines.

And wrt updates on the ACS website: they ARE the current assessment body and their guidlines ARE up to date (last updated this February). The ACS website is updated quite frequently - so are their rules (3 times since I applied).

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Sylvia

Thanks for the responses. I have a better comprehension now. However, I still struggle to grasp how 5 years experience is acceptable for this role for the AUS immigration dept, yet it is not enough for ACS. Surely this number should be agreed between the 2 of them?

For the record , my BSc is in Biology.

Archived