ASCO code for Masters in Management Information Systems?

Guest Kratos

Guest Kratos

Can anyone help me on this one? I need to know the ASCO code for this course. Thanks a lot.

Can anyone help me on this one? I need to know the ASCO code for this course. Thanks a lot.

I am not sure your question makes sense, ASCO codes relate to occupations, not courses to the best of my knowledge?

Guest Kratos
I am not sure your question makes sense, ASCO codes relate to occupations, not courses to the best of my knowledge?

To apply for a skill assessment with ACS, an ASCO needs to be selected. So, I was wondering under which occupation would this degree fall?

To apply for a skill assessment with ACS, an ASCO needs to be selected. So, I was wondering under which occupation would this degree fall?

It just doesn't work like that. For skilled migration you have to chose an occupation from the SOL and then see what the educational requirements are. You don't pick the course and try to slot it into an occupation.

You mention ACS for skills assessment - so are you currently working in IT?

Guest Kratos
It just doesn't work like that. For skilled migration you have to chose an occupation from the SOL and then see what the educational requirements are. You don't pick the course and try to slot it into an occupation.

You mention ACS for skills assessment - so are you currently working in IT?

Yeah, I am. My friend is studying this course and wants to apply for PR after that. How would she proceed? Most of the computing occupations have this requirement : The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.

Yeah, I am. My friend is studying this course and wants to apply for PR after that. How would she proceed? Most of the computing occupations have this requirement : The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.

A masters course is not enough for PR application. To qualify for PR as a skilled migrant she has to be working in an occupation on the SOL for at least 12 of the last 24 months and pass skills assessment for that occupation. The skills assessment for IT requires years of work experience as you rightly state. If your friend does not have work experience in an occupation on the SOL then she currently does not qualify for PR.

If she has taken the masters course in Australia (and it was a 2 year course), then perhaps she would qualify for a graduate visa, this is a temporary visa.

Guest Kratos
A masters course is not enough for PR application. To qualify for PR as a skilled migrant she has to be working in an occupation on the SOL for at least 12 of the last 24 months and pass skills assessment for that occupation. The skills assessment for IT requires years of work experience as you rightly state. If your friend does not have work experience in an occupation on the SOL then she currently does not qualify for PR.

If she has taken the masters course in Australia (and it was a 2 year course), then perhaps she would qualify for a graduate visa, this is a temporary visa.

Positive skill assessement/occupation - 60

Under 30 (Age) - 30

English proficiency - 25

Master's degree (2 years) - 5

I would have thought that she could apply for her PR.

Positive skill assessement/occupation - 60

Under 30 (Age) - 30

English proficiency - 25

Master's degree (2 years) - 5

I would have thought that she could apply for her PR.

Well if she has work experience in an occupation on the SOL and can get positive skills assessment then yes she can claim the 60 points and looks like she can apply for PR.

Only from earlier posts, it sounded like she is not in an occupation, does not have work experience and simply has a masters degree - which in itself is not enough for PR. Sorry if I misunderstood, although in my defence, I think understandably as you didn't mention her work experience earlier.

:wink:

Guest Kratos
Well if she has work experience in an occupation on the SOL and can get positive skills assessment then yes she can claim the 60 points and looks like she can apply for PR.

Only from earlier posts, it sounded like she is not in an occupation, does not have work experience and simply has a masters degree - which in itself is not enough for PR. Sorry if I misunderstood, although in my defence, I think understandably as you didn't mention her work experience earlier.

:wink:

She does have 3 years as an IT professional but I suppose she'll be assessed in Group C by ACS which means she'll be exempt from work experience.

She does have 3 years as an IT professional but I suppose she'll be assessed in Group C by ACS which means she'll be exempt from work experience.

I do not know what ACS Group C means one way or another as I am not in IT.

However note that the DIAC skilled visa requirement is to have worked at least 12 in the last 24 months in an occupation on the SOL.

Guest Kratos
I do not know what ACS Group C means one way or another as I am not in IT.

However note that the DIAC skilled visa requirement is to have worked at least 12 in the last 24 months in an occupation on the SOL.

I might be missing something here but that doesn't seem to be on this eligibility requirements:

Skilled – Independent (Residence) visa (subclass 885)

Btw, thanks for taking the time to reply :)

I might be missing something here but that doesn't seem to be on this eligibility requirements:

Skilled – Independent (Residence) visa (subclass 885)

Btw, thanks for taking the time to reply :)

When most of us talk about PR on basis of occupation we are referring to the general skilled migrant visa and this is what I assumed you were talking about too.

Perhaps you could have clarified what visa you were talking about right at the beginning and saved me a lot of time. Quite why you feel the need to get sarcastic and score points over the only person who answered your thread and spent a lot of time trying to make sense of your posts is beyond me..

:mad:

Guest Kratos
When most of us talk about PR on basis of occupation we are referring to the general skilled migrant visa and this is what I assumed you were talking about too.

Perhaps you could have clarified what visa you were talking about right at the beginning and saved me a lot of time. Quite why you feel the need to get sarcastic and score points over the only person who answered your thread and spent a lot of time trying to make sense of your posts is beyond me..

:mad:

Good point - I should have mentioned that first thing. But in which post are you spotting sarcasm? I genuinely thanked you for your replies and you shoot me down for that?

Archived