future of the student route

kellyjamie

As recent graduate student, I didnt realize the existence of sham university in Australia until i read this forum post. I am shocked by the news that people are just interested in studying for PR reasons and not contributing back to the country with their talent. I am left speechless of their selfish act.

Thus, there are genuine student that are willing to take up a qualification needed by the Australia work force. These students are genuine to contribute back to the economy of this country by being a professional. I hope the government realize this fact through the new SOL list which allow PR as a reward of their honesty and determination.

However,due to such selfish acts, the government have lost trust in the student route and increase the difficulty in the point system as well as making genuine professional students dragged into the system.

I am sure there are students out there that are willing to commit to be a professional and I have lost respect to those that are not willing to contribute positively.

The blame goes both ways I guess. Most people are opportunist (not in a negative way)and you give them a opportunity and they take it. Its govt's job to regulate it and they did a **** job for past 5 years.

Only now with election looming and international student's education sector is in sham, they are doing something.

Guest brownfamily
It's supply and demand. At the time you went there was a genuine demand and I am sure there is still demand for hairdresser. Problem is that 80-90% never ended up being hairdressers.

What govt wanted was to give haidressers PR not people who studied hairdressing and did something else. Coz that govt wanted one thing and got something else.

Govt is not against students getting PR, they are against people switching their career. End of the day skilled migration is all about meeting the skill shortage of the country. Gone are the days when any one from any profession was welcome.

Its a bit like hiring in a company. You get someone for their skills and once you hire them you obviously wouldn't want them doing something totally different for what you hired them for.

The same could be said for everyone that comes over on a PR visa.....how many people are still working in their nominated occupation??

Also, slightly off topic, but understandably Australia isn't for everyone, so the people that head back to their original countries does their PR visa get put back into the PR pool? We know of a number of families that have 'gone back' this year due to lack of work/family/cost of living etc.....

Ps. My OH is still bricklaying three years after arriving and studying for this trade :wubclub:

The same could be said for everyone that comes over on a PR visa.....how many people are still working in their nominated occupation??

If you paid 50k+ for a degree you are more likely to stay in your occupation. If not Govt would have/will in future make it difficult for PR too.

There is a difference between people switching after spending 5-10 years in a field as opposed to switching the very next day of getting PR. One is premeditated and other might/might not happen distant future.

Reason why people do hairdressing/cookery is because the course cost no more than 10-12k in Aussie dollar.

Guest brownfamily

Reason why people do hairdressing/cookery is because the course cost no more than 10-12k in Aussie dollar.

We have friends that have studied hairdressing/beauty on a 2 year course and the cost is nearer $25,000...not sure where your figures are from?? The bricklaying course was appx $25,000.

Also, we know many people that have come directly on PR who have not worked/have never worked in nominated occupation.

The thing that you have to bear in mind is that the student to PR route was highly publicised/endorsed by the Aussie Gov't (many seminars in england to prove this) and I agree that it needs tightened...but not every student should be tarred with the same brush as '' switching the very next day of getting PR ''.

There are many many genuine International students that have jumped through every hoop and spent thousands (TAFE fees/school fees/medicals/private health insurance/limited to part time working) and are working in the occupation that they have spent 2 years + studying for.

We have friends that have studied hairdressing/beauty on a 2 year course and the cost is nearer $25,000...not sure where your figures are from?? The bricklaying course was appx $25,000.

My cooworkers doing hairdressing paid 4k per sem which came to 16k for full year course. Dunno about coookery but should be bit more expensive than that.

My degree cost me $14500 per year in 2006 when I started it and due to fee hike every year it was $17000 per year in 2009.

But end of the day its not about who paid how much. Its how a person fits well with Govt's vision of skill migration. While some skill fits quite well such has medicine and IT (you would be nuts to spend 6 years + nearly 100k for medical degree and do something else) others in such has trades skills which cost less to study and less time to qualify didnt fit that vision quite well.

Also, we know many people that have come directly on PR who have not worked/have never worked in nominated occupation.

The thing that you have to bear in mind is that the student to PR route was highly publicised/endorsed by the Aussie Gov't (many seminars in england to prove this) and I agree that it needs tightened...but not every student should be tarred with the same brush as '' switching the very next day of getting PR ''.

Yes, selected students are being tagged. And I agree it puts others in trade skills in serious jeopardy. You cant blame anyone but the dodgy students form dodgy colleges for that.

I feel angry because as a recent IT graduate, I plan on becoming a software developer and dont plan on doing anything non-IT. When they tighten the rules, it affects all whether genuine or dodgy.

There are many many genuine International students that have jumped through every hoop and spent thousands (TAFE fees/school fees/medicals/private health insurance/limited to part time working) and are working in the occupation that they have spent 2 years + studying for.

If there is one person that fits that above description fully that would be me. I came here on student visa in 2002 and been on a student visa for past 8 years. Total degree+school fee runs into nearly $90k.

At the time I finished school was year 2005. I could have easily done a cookery course and finished it in late 2007 and applied in 2008. Instead stuck doing a degree for 4 years. The tempation was there. I got a job at supermarket while studying and thats when a massive wave of Indians and Nepalis started coming to do commercial cookery and hairdressing courses. Lot of my co-workers did that and now are screwed big big time. But I did the right thing and now its paid off ten folds.

I never wanted to be a chef hence didnt want to waste money on it just for sake of PR.

Guest brownfamily

Hi,

I don't think there is much more to be said about the Student Route as there are bigger issues going on at the moment (Offshore PR visa applications ceased until end of June) which could potentially mean the end of their dreams for many people.

I feel for each and every person wanting to lodge their PR and wish them all good luck :smile:

Guest Kiraloo

Hi all,

I believe International students who excel in their studies should be recognised, awarded and recommended to the industry they intend to work in.

DIAC should also be made aware of these students.

After nearly two years of studying full-time, I found that there are approximately 2 or 3 students who excel in their studies, some do ok and the rest cheats and plagiarises their way to their Certificates or Diplomas. I've seen it happening all around me and the lecturers often feel very frustrated.

For instance, the Central Institute of Technology should impose much stricter guidelines for passing students's assignments.

As far as I know it is much harder to get away with cheating at Uni.

CIoT does give out student awards annually but you can literally count them on one hand and excellent students might not get the recognition they deserve.

Was just thinking out loud...

Regards

Guest adrianyts

thank god the government is doing something about it...I am sure I will be working in the fields of my expertise :) ...Despite of the stress I will encounter, I love my job and my skills...I currently have an interview in the electrical engineering sector (thank god we are in demand...)

I strongly encourage people to work in their fields of expertise, the government had made a favor by granting your PR application...it is your job to pay back the government by working for the country and not for yourself...Australia will be strong through your contributions...

Have read comments with interest, and unfortunately those whose chosen course of study may not be on the new SOL or allow an application for PR have been vicitms of reactionary politics, government incompetence and a concerted anti immigration campaign with a racist agenda (this is clear from how vehemently those who oppose immigration follow up with denial of any Australian being racist).

Further, media, politicians and Australian public have focussed purely upon visible study to PR candidates i.e. Asian students supposedly rorting system via being led by "dodgy agents" to "dodgy private colleges" ignore that state universities, TAFEs, goverments etc. who had all been spruiking study to PR alongside education and migration agents.

In future there will still be skill shortages, an immigration programme and potential for study to PR. However, like before, I would say for those who are younger, independent, flexible, patient and prepared to study an area they have some interest in, and commitment to that occupation, go for it, you will at least experience Australia to see if you like it. Like many of our non English speaking background candidates from Central Europe they use IELTS praparation or equivalent as an opportunity to taste Oz, majority do not stay....

However, if you have famiily, approaching your 40s, taking a financial risk, study to PR is the last resort and maybe not so sure about Australia, nor having any experience of living elsewhere (let alone Oz), I would be very cautious....

Archived