You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

abz123

WA utility providers

Just had word that our mortgage approval has come through so wondering what the position is with utility providers in WA i.e. do we have any choice who we get our gas and electricity from or is there just one provider of each? I tried Google without much success.

I know that telephone / internet has a variety of providers but can anyone recommend a decent bundle, or warn me off from any of the companies out there?

Telephone usage will be light as most international calls will be VoIP and I reckon 10 GB per month would probably do it for internet usage.

PIO members are like triangles. Most of us are (a)cute but there are also those who are down right obtuse. Treat us all as equilaterals and we won't fall out. :biggrin:

Just had word that our mortgage approval has come through so wondering what the position is with utility providers in WA i.e. do we have any choice who we get our gas and electricity from or is there just one provider of each? I tried Google without much success.

I know that telephone / internet has a variety of providers but can anyone recommend a decent bundle, or warn me off from any of the companies out there?

Telephone usage will be light as most international calls will be VoIP and I reckon 10 GB per month would probably do it for internet usage.

one gas provider atlinta gas , and one electric provider synergy

Thanks for the post, we're in a similar position. Did you decide on an internet provider in the end?

Hi Katie

I think we are going to go with iiNet (iinet.com.au)

I spoke to the IT guy at my work and they have a really fast broadband service.

They have various options one of which is a thing called Bob - a bit like the BT home hub but you can actually choose to not have a landline phone and do everything through a VoIP handset which would mean cheap calls back to the UK and saves paying a line rental.

I haven't finalised what package we are going with as I want to give them a call to check a couple of things (e.g. can my alarm be monitored without a "normal" phone line) but I believe it can as Bob has an analogue port for this sort of scenario or fo connecting a fax machine.

PIO members are like triangles. Most of us are (a)cute but there are also those who are down right obtuse. Treat us all as equilaterals and we won't fall out. :biggrin:

Thanks, asking an IT bod is a great idea, I'll check out iinet's website. We also want a voip handset. Also interested in looking into getting a UK proxy I.P address so we can access BBC Iplayer etc.

Cheers, Kate

Hi Katie

I think we are going to go with iiNet (iinet.com.au)

I spoke to the IT guy at my work and they have a really fast broadband service.

They have various options one of which is a thing called Bob - a bit like the BT home hub but you can actually choose to not have a landline phone and do everything through a VoIP handset which would mean cheap calls back to the UK and saves paying a line rental.

I haven't finalised what package we are going with as I want to give them a call to check a couple of things (e.g. can my alarm be monitored without a "normal" phone line) but I believe it can as Bob has an analogue port for this sort of scenario or fo connecting a fax machine.

Found out today we cant get the ADSL2 service in the area we are moving to as there isn't a port free in the exchange there. Does anyone have another provider other than iinet who they'd recommend? The other alternative is we go for broadband1 on iinet until a port becomes free, and hope that its not too slow:eek:

Hi Katie

I could be wrong, but if iiNet don't have a port then probably no-one else will either.

One thing I did find out is if you have a "back to base" alarm system in your property then you can't go for naked DSL i.e. you stlll have to have a normal landline as well as your broadband so another $30/month on top.

Ihaven't finalised our package yet (keys today) but for 40GB (20 peak, 20 off peak 2am-8am!) and phone plus Bob it's looking about $80 per month which strikes me as expensive but on a par with other providers when I use the comparison websites

iiNet contract are 24month but they will let you change your package so might be worth taking their normal broadbnd and wait for ADSL2. I haven't started using them yet but our IT manager is impressed so I'm willing to go with his recommendation

Guest Clairey b
Found out today we cant get the ADSL2 service in the area we are moving to as there isn't a port free in the exchange there. Does anyone have another provider other than iinet who they'd recommend? The other alternative is we go for broadband1 on iinet until a port becomes free, and hope that its not too slow:eek:

Hi KatieLB,

I'm not very good with all this technology (thats my hubbys job!!) but i know John really researched it all when we moved, and he was really impressed with iinet. We the same couldn't get adsl2 in our area, so went with the adsl1 package and it was great. All i know is that when we reached our limit it just tended to slow down, but thats it. We have now moved and have adsl2, although have to say seems the same to me!!! (but as i say i'm not very good with all this technology!!!)

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Claire x

Hi Claire

From what I have read, all broadband is the same i.e. the further you stay from the exchange, the slower the speed and I think ADSL2 slows depending on how many people are on at the time ADSL1 is the same so the theoretical 20MB speed of ADSL2 is just that.

Same as the UK with the 8MB they advertise now as routine. Not many people actually get it