Benefits of State Sponsored Visa

Guest avilt

Guest avilt

Will I be eligible for benefits like child care allowance, medical care etc from centerlink if I opt for state sponsored visa from Western Australia?

Thank You

Guest caza75

no i dont think u will but check it out on the centrelink web site, its mostly if you come on a residency visa then u are entitled to family tax and rent assistance, i no this as i recently applied but i have residency ...good luck

Guest avilt

Thank you for your feedback.

Please check the terms and conditions in the below link.

State Migration Centre » Online Application System

It is clearly understood that government social security benefits are NOT available to skilled migrants under the SRS and SSV visa schemes. Skilled migrants sponsored under the SRS visa will NOT have access to Medicare, Higher Education Contributions Scheme or Centrelink.

Now I am having a second thought on this state sponsorship. Can anyone confirm please?

Guest dawnpepper

Hi, I can only go on my own personal experience but myself and my husband, 4 year old daughter and 2 dalmatian dogs emigrated here last November on a 176 visa which was state sponsored and we have had no problems. We have been eligible for Medicare, childcare assistance, state education etc. If you are state sponsored but have a permanent residency visa then you have the same rights as an australian citizen except you can't hold a passport and you cannot vote. You are not entitled to unemployment benefit or other benefits for the first 2 years. Don't get confused with temporary visas such as the 457 or is it the 475. Sorry can't remember but sure someone else will correct me.

Good luck with everything,

Dawn.

Personally I think if you are emigrating to Australia you shouldn't expect to receive help with any benefits! You are 'choosing' to move into the country and therefore shouldn't put a strain on the Australian system.

When I was in the UK I disliked that immigrants coming into 'our' country were able to claim benefits....why should we do the same to another country.

As already mentioned there are 2 different kinds of State Sponsored visas the 475 visa is a 2 year provisional visa - after living in a regional area for 2 years and working for 1 the applicant can apply for PR at which point they will become entitled to medicare, child care benefits etc. there is a reciprocal arrangement between the NHS and Medicare if you are on the 475 visa but think that may only be for emergency treatment (am sure someone else will confirm).

The 176 is a State Sponsored visa with immediate permanent residency and that way as a permanent resident you are eligible for all those benefits from the outset.

So it will all depend which visa you are applying for.

Guest guest30038
Personally I think if you are emigrating to Australia you shouldn't expect to receive help with any benefits! You are 'choosing' to move into the country and therefore shouldn't put a strain on the Australian system.

When I was in the UK I disliked that immigrants coming into 'our' country were able to claim benefits....why should we do the same to another country.

At what stage would you consider it to be equitable that a new resident can/should be able to, obtain benefits?

The benefits that are immediately available are all co-contributory in that deductions are made from salary to cover costs of the benefits or, in the case of family tax benefit, are a tax allowance for children. Unemployment, and some other benefits are not available untill after 2 yrs of PR.

If these "immediate" benefits are available to Aussies who newly enter the workforce, why then do you consider it not to be correct for them to be available to migrants new to the workforce ("invited" here by the Gov't)?

kev

• 4 months later...

Just a Q for 176 state sponsored visa. As they said that migrant under 176 is not entitled for any social security benefits. So, if we (me & my wife ) migrate under 176 and if we deliver a baby there , then will my baby be Aus Citizen or Aus PR or none of them ? anybody has having any idea on this plz

• 1 year later...

Hi Dawn

We're a family of 4 in the UK currently in the process of obtaining a 176 state sponsored visa.

I am a control freak and need to know everything!!! Lol!!

As I have 2 children I wanted to know if I would get any help with childcare costs under this visa?

I see you mentioned in your thread that you qualified for childcare assistance and state education.

Was this immediately? I am confused as it suggests under the centrelink website that most benefits cannot be claimed

for 2 years. I have also read that I would need to pay a few thousand dollars for my cildren to go to state school until we have citizenship.

Is that right?

I appreciate your post was a couple of years ago and thins may have moved on I guess!!

How are you settled now? What do you think about Australian schooling?

Thanks

Selina

Guest thangvan

Check this out mate, from DIAC website, these are benefits for 176 visa:

[h=2]What does this visa let me do?[/h]This visa allows you and any secondary applicants included in your visa application to live as permanent residents in Australia.

Australian permanent residents can:

• live and work in Australia on a permanent basis
  • study in Australia at school, Vocational Education and Training (VET) sector or university
  • receive subsidised healthcare through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
  • access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)
  • be eligible for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)
  • sponsor people for permanent residence.

Guest tracynben

if you have a child born in oz the baby will still be classed as a british citizen, as they go off the parents citizenship, the children can only get australian citizenship if you as the parents get it.

As regards to schooling, as long as your a perm resident and NOT a temp resident then you will not have to pay too much in regards to public scholing, although it depends what state you are in. YOU are entitled to centrelink childcare rebates, family tax a and b (depending on income) and medicare

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the much useful info. Can you advise that on visa 176 do we get concession card (travel) and rent assistant.

Guest tracynben

you will depending on what income your earning. there's a cut off for both not sure what it is. only low income earners get the concession card but you can still earn a decent ish wage n get rent assistance. If u go on centering website there's a rate estimator and it will have the info too there about a concession card

if you have a child born in oz the baby will still be classed as a british citizen, as they go off the parents citizenship, the children can only get australian citizenship if you as the parents get it.

The Child can get Australian Citizenship - Children born after 20 August 1986 are only Australian citizens if at least one parent was an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the time of their birth.

Source link :

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/current/

Archived