Can I bring my parents to live with me in Australia ?

roky

Hello All,

First of all I'd like to express my gratefulness for this forum for helping throught my visa processing.

Now, as I am in Australia as a PR, I wonder if I can bring my parents to live here in Australia, and I have an unmarried 22 years old sister, are they gonna let her come with my parents ? ... I've checked the immi website, and found three types of visas and couldn't really get the difference between them. Obviousely one of them has an extreemly expensive 2nd installment (what is the 2nd installment anyway :mad: ? I didnt' have to pay any for my GSM visa).

I also noticed that there was a Queue calculator ?? it seems complicated to me ...

I would be grateful if anyone can shed some light or give a brief about this matter.

Regards

Roky

Guest cazbeckham

Hi Roky

I am sure that Gill (Gollywobbler) will pick up on this thread as she has no end of knowledge on parent visas.

We came out on a Contributory Parent Visa (Daughter sponsored us) and yes it is expensive but you do then become PR and get medicare from day one.

The normal parent visa has a long wait as not as many visas are issued and therefore the queue is much much longer, in fact it was about 15-20 when we was about to apply (Feb 07) and thought that was a long time to put your life on hold plus I believe your parent would be asked to have their medicals on the normal Parent Visa and as they only last a year they would have to have them done again before the visa was issued, hence we bit the bullet and came on the CPV.

Anyway as I said Gill will pick up on this and fill you in in more detail.

Good Luck

Caz

Guest guest36187

Hi there

The main thing to consider is `do you pass the balance of family test?`

How many brothers and sisters do you have and where do they live? Thats the place to start!

Your parents are only eligible for any Parent visa if they can pass the Balance of Family test.

The balance of family test requires that:

• at least half their children must be permanently resident in Australia
    or
  • they have more children permanently resident in Australia than any other single country.
  • Parent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 103)

Your 22 year old sister can only be included on their visa if she is a dependent i.e. she must have been wholly or substantially reliant on them for a substantial period for her basic needs (food, clothing and shelter).

A child of any age is not considered dependent if they are married, engaged to be married or in a de facto relationship.

Your sister must still be an eligible dependent when the visa is granted - it's not enough that she is a dependent when the parent visa is applied for.

Parent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 103)

You must be 'settled' in Australia before you can sponsor your parents. To be considered as 'settled' you must normally have lived in Australia as a permanent resident for 2 years or more.

Contributory Parent visas are very expensive but are granted in something like 18 months. Parent visas are much less expensive, but usually take 10 years or more to be granted. Otherwise, the two visa types are fairly similar and have similar conditions.

The charges for any kind of Parent visas are worked out quite differently from other migration visas. When someone applies for a Parent visa, they pay a single First Instalment charge which covers all applicants and then near the time the visa is granted, a Second Instalment charge for each person included in the application is payable. If there are 3 adult applicants, 3 second instalments are payable.

6. If for some reason your sister can't come on your parent's visa (e.g. she no longer qualifies as a dependent), after your parents have moved to Australia as permanent residents you may be able to sponsor her for a Remaining Relative visa BUT ONLY if you have no other siblings or parents, step or natural who are not permanently resident in Australia at that time.

Remaining Relative Visa (Offshore) (Subclass 115)

Guest cazbeckham

6. If for some reason your sister can't come on your parent's visa (e.g. she no longer qualifies as a dependent), after your parents have moved to Australia as permanent residents you may be able to sponsor her for a Remaining Relative visa BUT ONLY if you have no other siblings or parents, step or natural who are not permanently resident in Australia at that time.

Ozmaniac - I can't even get my Son who is in the UK out here as a last remaining relative because he has been engaged to his Fiance for about 10 years and the Oz government take into consideration her parents and brothers so my Son would stand no chance of getting out here as a last remaining rellie unless he split with his fiance.

Not fair

Ozmaniac - I can't even get my Son who is in the UK out here as a last remaining relative because he has been engaged to his Fiance for about 10 years and the Oz government take into consideration her parents and brothers so my Son would stand no chance of getting out here as a last remaining rellie unless he split with his fiance.

Not fair

I didn't mention that as there was no suggestion that the sister is or will be engaged or partnered in the future. In any case, we were talking about the OP's situation and not yours.

Many immigration rules can be seen as unfair by people who are disadvantaged by them, but those particular rules haven't changed in years and they apply equally to everyone.

I was however remiss in not saying "BUT ONLY if you AND YOUR SISTER'S PARTNER OR PROSPECTIVE PARTNER AT THE TIME have no other siblings or parents, step or natural who are not permanently resident in Australia at that time." Note though that I did say 'may be able to sponsor her' not 'will be able to sponsor her'.

Guest cazbeckham

ozmaniac

Many immigration rules can be seen as unfair by people who are disadvantaged by them, but those particular rules haven't changed in years and they apply equally to everyone.

I fully understand what you are saying re above and I agree with you except that it is hard when one of your children are left in another country and may want to join his parents and sister and cannot as he is penalised for having a fiance to which has parents and brothers alive in the Uk who (meaning parents and brothers of fiance) would never come to Australia.

But if the government never had rules it would be a totally different place to live eh?

Good Luck with whatever way you choose for your parents to join you.

Caz

Guest Gollywobbler
ozmaniac

I fully understand what you are saying re above and I agree with you except that it is hard when one of your children are left in another country and may want to join his parents and sister and cannot as he is penalised for having a fiance to which has parents and brothers alive in the Uk who (meaning parents and brothers of fiance) would never come to Australia.

But if the government never had rules it would be a totally different place to live eh?

Good Luck with whatever way you choose for your parents to join you.

Caz

Hi Caz

I could not agree with you more and my own mother rang me this morning. She will be 90 in September 2010, all being well.

The chance of emigrating to Oz has been a chance for me since I first qualified as a solicitor in 1981 - and if I had ditched the degrees and the training in the UK, maybe even earlier than that.

LOTS of things kept me in the UK instead over the years and then when Jim died on 30th July one year, I had turned 46 on 13th July that year anyway, plus I was in no fit state to decide about anything except the fact that I was grieving for Jim.

Additionally, for as long as we were told that it would "not be possible" for my widowed mother to migrate to Oz because of her step-daughter, my half-sister, I was not prepared to risk the idea of making the Balance of Family come right for Mum by moving to Australia myself. Of course it occurred to me that I could move to Oz back in 1993 when Mum's application for a Parent visa was refused. It was refused because of her step-child. The step-child was not going anywhere and there was no reason why she should - she is Dad's daughter, not Mum's. Why should she do anything that would suit Dad's second wife, who is my mother?

If anyone did anything, it would be up to me to do it, clearly. Would I have abandoned the idea of anybody going to tend the place where my late father's ashes have been interred? Would Mum really have wanted our memories of him to be abandoned to that extent? Dad died in 1991 so our memories were still very raw at the time -in 1993 and subsequently.

Even now, nearly 20 years later, I will not leave Dad on his own on the hillside in that cemetery. I am in the UK and he is interred 15 miles away. I don't gp there with grief in my heart. I combine it with a shopping trip to Petersfeld, which is the town. Petersfield is full of funny little craft shops if you know where to look - and I know the place intimately. So when I vsit the cemetery I do so with joy in my heart. Dad would want that.

What about my own life in the UK, as well? Much like your son, the child in the UK has his/her own life and it is not necessarily reasonable to expect that child to abandon it, in my view.

LOADS of questions went through my mind in 1993 and subsequently. I'd have been stupid not to have had the questions and I have never necessarily been right about the answers - but you do what seems right at the time and you hope for the best because that is all that you can do in the time available.

Plus I would never choose Perth for myself and I almost certainly wouldn't choose anywhere else in Oz either. What's the point in going there at all if I would not be near my sister and, now, near Mum as well?

The Parents are the ones who end up doing the lion's share of the suffering in the end. I am now certain about that but I was not so certain at the relevant times.

I have explained to my sister - in the hope that she would explain it to Mum - that if my half-sister should do us all a favour by kicking the bucket then - at the moment - a Remaining Relly visa would become possible for me but it would not be possible whilst my half-sister is alive. She is 70 or 71 now, I think, but she seems as fit as a fiddle to me and will probably outlive me when push comes to shove!

Of course Mum grieves for me. I know that she does but there is nothing that I can really do about it - short of marrying some Aussie or other who lives in Perth but could well be seriously ghastly in every other respect. I am not prepared to explore that idea, frankly. I sure as hell don't want my sister's (single) father in law creeping up on me!

Eric (the FiL) could get me into Oz in no time and he would do it if we asked him to, but I don't like Australia enough - nor do I hate the Aussie Government enough - to risk putting up with Eric, frankly! God forbid that he should get involved so I keep firkin quiet about that notion, to be honest!

Plus I am not prepared to abandon my home, my memories and my friends in the UK.

The Parents are the ones who end up taking the rap - that is for certain. Part of me would like to believe that if a Parent brings a child up well, then that child is likely to have independent thoughts in years to come.

Whether that is really any consolation to the Parent once Australia enters the equation, I really don't know but I DO feel for you, just as much as I feel for my own mother, with this issue.

Hugs :hug:

Gill

xx

Guest Gollywobbler
I didn't mention that as there was no suggestion that the sister is or will be engaged or partnered in the future. In any case, we were talking about the OP's situation and not yours.

I was however remiss in not saying "BUT ONLY if you AND YOUR SISTER'S PARTNER OR PROSPECTIVE PARTNER AT THE TIME have no other siblings or parents, step or natural who are not permanently resident in Australia at that time." Note though that I did say 'may be able to sponsor her' not 'will be able to sponsor her'.

Hi Ozmaniac

I seriously recommend that you shurrup and that you butt your way firmly OUT of this particular discussion.

Family emotions CANNOT be reduced solely to that which the law-makers have decided. That is all that there is to it, and only a fool would try to interfere with the emotional issues that are involved.

Your own emotions do not seem to be involved with this one, so I suggest that you keep quiet. I feel extremely strongly about this one. I don't want your "five minute wisdom" because I have been living with the real wisdom of this situation -and thinking about it - for a hell of a lot longer than you have, so how DARE you presume to tell me, Caz or anyone else what to think?

Caz has been far nicer to you than I am, frankly, and all power to her elbow for being so, but mix it with me about this one and you will get mauled, which I would not recommend to my worst enemy. It is an idea that I would not advise.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Hello All,

First of all I'd like to express my gratefulness for this forum for helping throught my visa processing.

Now, as I am in Australia as a PR, I wonder if I can bring my parents to live here in Australia, and I have an unmarried 22 years old sister, are they gonna let her come with my parents ? ... I've checked the immi website, and found three types of visas and couldn't really get the difference between them. Obviousely one of them has an extreemly expensive 2nd installment (what is the 2nd installment anyway :mad: ? I didnt' have to pay any for my GSM visa).

I also noticed that there was a Queue calculator ?? it seems complicated to me ...

I would be grateful if anyone can shed some light or give a brief about this matter.

Regards

Roky

Hi Roky

Welcome back to Poms in Oz!! How are you and whereabouts are you in Oz? How is the work going etc etc etc?

I am really sorry that your thread has become involved with issues that you did not intend. You know full well that I almost never wear my own heart on my sleeve and that something has to irritate the hell out of me in order to force me to do so.

However, this thread is about you and your own family only.

I think that there are not that many issues in your own situation, to be honest.

Contributory Parent visas for your two parents would cost about $84,000 at the moment if we ignore all the sundry costs like medicals, flights etc.

Non-contributory Parent visas are as chep as chips by comparison wih CPVs, and non-contributory Parent visas are actually much better visas than CPVs when they are granted, but the non-contributory visas take a minimum of 10 years to be granted. Plus a pecking order is applied before the Parent joins the official Queue for the visas. That pecking order makes it likely that your Parents might have to wait for anything up to 15 years, to be honest.

I would recommend leaving your sister out of this. At the moment she is only 22. If your Parents were to apply quickly and they were to apply for CPVs, CPVs take about 18 to 24 months to be granted. So there is an outside chance that your sister woulld still be under 25 by the time that CPVs would be granted and she might genuinely be a dependant on your Parents as well, but the price of Sister getting involved with a CPV would be at least another $34,330 on the price and it could be more than that - I would need to read the legislative rubbish to be sure of the exact details but you could definitely rely on an extra $34,330.

If your family were to choose the non-contributory Parent visa instead then those take so long to process that Sistsr would be over 25 before anything happens. She could be included in a visa application now but she could not be included in the grant of a non-contributory parent visa in the end.

In a situation like yours, the first answer is to have a look at the Remaing Relly visa. If your Parents apply for CPVs and then your sister applies for a Remaining Relly visa later, would this idea work as far as the visas are concerned?

Hugs :hug:

Gill

Caz, Oz2512, Ozmaniac, and Gill,

I didn't expect this thread to grow that quickly and grap your attention ... And it never annoys me that the thread develops into more related issues.

Before I extend my questions, I wanna thank all of you, especially Gill. :hug:and yes, I've made it to Oz. The last six months haven't been the best six month of my life. I came on 176 sponsored by ACT, and struglged alot to get a job ... every thing here is a government based , and the government hire citizens only ...

Back to the original topic... Actually I wouldn't consider CPV visa at all ... I can't afford that cost by any means. But what about the temporary two years visa ? I read about it but can't get the point of it as long as they have to apply for the contributary one sooner or later ??

Best Regards

Roky

• 2 years later...

Like all Britishers, even Australians don’t understand the value of parents and consider parents as a separate family. The immigration office, the government and the people of Australia need to learn a lot or understand what it is to be all about being wrapped by love like in an Asian family. Even though we contribute to the growth of the country, pay taxes, run services, but someway, deliberately the parents visa and parents PR has been made tremendously difficult and exorbitant.

Like all Britishers, even Australians don’t understand the value of parents and consider parents as a separate family. The immigration office, the government and the people of Australia need to learn a lot or understand what it is to be all about being wrapped by love like in an Asian family. Even though we contribute to the growth of the country, pay taxes, run services, but someway, deliberately the parents visa and parents PR has been made tremendously difficult and exorbitant.

For those that cannot bear to be separated from parents, there is always the option of not moving. It is not up to Australia to reunite parents with adult children that chose to move away. They provide a visa route, it seems reasonable enough to me.

Archived