IELTS and dyslexia

cornish78

Hi

Has anyone attempted the IELTS with (quite severe) dyslexia and managed to get 7 in each part?

We are 10 points short, and hoping for state sponsership in time before the changes, but as a back up plan my OH is wondering whether he should take it, but he is dyslexic and really struggles with reading and writing.

We've asked about having special arrangements but the local university have said that will take 13 weeks to consider and we don't have that time!

Just wondering if anyone else had managed it..

Guest VickyMel

Hi

There was a post the other day where someone with Dyslexia took IELTS

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/84660-what-ielts-pass-mark.html#post745495

"He got 7.5 listening,5 reading,8 writing,9 speaking and an overall 7.5. "

This was without the extra consideration - in my book that is pretty good going.

But then dyslexia is strange in itself as it can really impact some areas and excel others!

Has your OH looked at the free example tests that are available online. If not get him to go through those and see how he feels.

He will find there is a bit of a knack to them so tell him not to give up on the first go but rather to try and figure out what they are aiming at as some of them are relatively similar.

Maybe do them untimed to start with (otherwise might be offputting) and go through them carefully. Hopefully he will quickly get what the questions are actually trying to test and it will be easier to do them quicker. Then you can consider whether it is worthwhile trying for it.

Good luck - and I hope your sponsorship comes through in the meantime and saves him the stress

VickyMel

Hi

There was a post the other day where someone with Dyslexia took IELTS

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/84660-what-ielts-pass-mark.html#post745495

"He got 7.5 listening,5 reading,8 writing,9 speaking and an overall 7.5. "

This was without the extra consideration - in my book that is pretty good going.

But then dyslexia is strange in itself as it can really impact some areas and excel others!

Has your OH looked at the free example tests that are available online. If not get him to go through those and see how he feels.

He will find there is a bit of a knack to them so tell him not to give up on the first go but rather to try and figure out what they are aiming at as some of them are relatively similar.

Maybe do them untimed to start with (otherwise might be offputting) and go through them carefully. Hopefully he will quickly get what the questions are actually trying to test and it will be easier to do them quicker. Then you can consider whether it is worthwhile trying for it.

Good luck - and I hope your sponsorship comes through in the meantime

VickyMel

Thanks for the response. Yeah we've looked on line at the samples and that's why we're not sure he will be able to do them...he found them quite tough, and I guess you need to do them pretty well to get a 7.

I do think it's unfair that English born people with English degrees have to sit IELTS, but I guess that's the way of the world!

Think we'll just pin our hopes on the SS..

Guest Guest31881

In another thread someone mentioned that her husband was allowed extra time because of his Dyslexia to complete the tests. It may be worth having a chat with them and see what they can do in these cases. It seems a shame that he could be penalised because of something he has no control over.

Guest VickyMel

I notice from your signature that you have applied for VIC SS. VIC SS works with industrial panels and (assuming that they are still doing applications in the same way as before??) they then to get back to everyone in batches relating to their occupation. So hopefully when you hear of other IT folks hearing back you should do so as well. It seems a while since I heard of VIC SS IT being notified so hopefully??? there may be one due soon...

In another thread someone mentioned that her husband was allowed extra time because of his Dyslexia to complete the tests. It may be worth having a chat with them and see what they can do in these cases. It seems a shame that he could be penalised because of something he has no control over.

We did try that but they said it would take 13 weeks, and he'd have to have a recent dyslexia assessment before hand- his is about 15 years old! Still, it might be worth trying a different centre who may do things a bit quicker....

I notice from your signature that you have applied for VIC SS. VIC SS works with industrial panels and (assuming that they are still doing applications in the same way as before??) they then to get back to everyone in batches relating to their occupation. So hopefully when you hear of other IT folks hearing back you should do so as well. It seems a while since I heard of VIC SS IT being notified so hopefully??? there may be one due soon...

Well there's a glimmer of hope! Thank you :-) if we had the Vic SS then we could relax...

You can apply for 175/176 ahead of getting State sponsorship if you want to apply sooner. If the application is assessed prior to DIAC receiving any State or Family sponsorship, as long as you score at least 100 points, your application will be pooled as a 175 application for 2 years. If at any time during that 2 years, DIAC receive a State or family sponsorship, your application re-commences processing as a 176 visa application.

Regards

Tony

You can apply for 175/176 ahead of getting State sponsorship if you want to apply sooner. If the application is assessed prior to DIAC receiving any State or Family sponsorship, as long as you score at least 100 points, your application will be pooled as a 175 application for 2 years. If at any time during that 2 years, DIAC receive a State or family sponsorship, your application re-commences processing as a 176 visa application.

Regards

Tony

Thanks Tony, that helps.

We have taken the gamble and applied for the 176 visa with 110 points (120 with SS).

When you say we will stay in a pool for up to 2 years, they wouldn't reject us in this time for submitting an incomplete application? i.e .incomplete as we dont have SS for the 176 (yet)

Also, if we don't get SS by the 1st July (or whenever the new magic date is), would we still be assessed under the current SOL do you think?

You will be under current SOL if you get your application in. You have a complete application for the 175 - so if they assess you before the sponsorship comes in, they pool you as a 175. Then they process you as a 176 if any sponsorship comes in at any time before the 2 year anniversary in the pool.

Everyone who applies for the Independent Skilled visa, has to be considered under 175 and 176 criteria - so you do not specifically apply for either the 175 or 176 - you indicate on the form which criteria you think you meet - so you indicate the 175 initially but this changes to 176 when DIAC receive any sponsorship.

Regards

Tony

You will be under current SOL if you get your application in. You have a complete application for the 175 - so if they assess you before the sponsorship comes in, they pool you as a 175. Then they process you as a 176 if any sponsorship comes in at any time before the 2 year anniversary in the pool.

Everyone who applies for the Independent Skilled visa, has to be considered under 175 and 176 criteria - so you do not specifically apply for either the 175 or 176 - you indicate on the form which criteria you think you meet - so you indicate the 175 initially but this changes to 176 when DIAC receive any sponsorship.

Regards

Tony

Thanks, that is a load off my mind! Hopefully won't have to worry about IELTS as it seems we have enough time to sort out SS one way or another...cheers :)

Archived