New skills list to be announced in may 2010

Guest Birdiesinoz

Hi Karan

I stressed that my own theory is nothing more than pure speculation on my part and it should NOT be taken as anything other than the pure guess that it is.

I am aware that senior DIAC officers claimed that there would be all sorts of technical problems with making the new SOL become "live" on their website prior to 18th June 2010. They might well have been telling the truth at the time. No doubt the visa experts got their information from the boss of DIAC's IT Department.

I know nothing about computers, websites etc so I questioned Matjones closely at the time, since he knows about IT. What would happen if the Minister for Immi simply ordered DIAC to fix the "technical problems" with its IT system so that the new SOL could go onto the website and have immediate effect on the day when the Minister orders DIAC that this should happen? After all, Modern Man invented the computer and he invented everything that IT systems can now do. Therefore surely he can fix a few "technical problems" with an IT system as well and he can do it quickly if he tries?

Matjones said that the limiting factor is always cost. Apparently it costs a huge amount to make an IT system work in a way that it might not be designed for at present. I can see Matt's point. You can get external consultants to write special software that will overcome present "technical problems" but it would be very expensive to do it. Also DIAC wouldn't want to risk any sensitive information making its way into the public domain, whereas their own IT boys would keep quiet about any changes that they were asked to make to the system.

However the Minister for Immi is very headstrong and Kevin Rudd supports the idea of cutting the Immigration program to the bone for the next year or two. If the Aussie Government makes the money available in order to alter DIAC's computer system quickly, I am not convinced that "technical problems" cannot be overcome, though I am a typical user of commercial IT systems. I haven't a clue how they work but I assume that they can do anything I want them to do and that they can do it by 9am the next day. I get cheesed off if I am told that they can't.

Matjones says that major alterations would be much more expensive to make than I realise and that they would probably take longer to make than I realise as well. I am content to run with his advice on that because he knows what he is talking about with IT, whereas I am the clot who phones the IT Helpdesk if the machine on my own desk doesn't seem to be working properly. (Indeed, I assumed that my laptop at home had developed a major software fault the other week when it wouldn't boot up. Several days later I worked out that although the machine would not respond to its remote mouse, it seemed to work OK when I pressed the buttons on the machine itself. I bought a new mouse in case that was the problem and the machine has worked perfectly ever since....)

And my own speculation about what the Minister might be up to is just that - pure speculation and guesswork.

We will find out what is really going on at DIAC's HQ in the fullness of time, hun.

Cheers

Gill

Hey Gilly ,

I am another I.T. and Public sector guys here on this forum. Well I can assure you that no bug( in other terms I should say ERROR) in computer is such a big that it can not be sorted out in some quick time. Afterall DIAC has a big database in the form of www.immi.gov.au and some professional people. So I am not sure that delays in the announcements are only because of DIAC's website going wrong. They have many much media channels through which they can made the announcements.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest orynoco

Sorry gill but i read in the west last week that there were 59 ADS for brickies and 12 for Plasterers and there is supposed to be a bit of a boom going on in WA sorry for saying this but gill is the greatest help on here

Guest Gollywobbler
Hey Gilly ,

I am another I.T. and Public sector guys here on this forum. Well I can assure you that no bug( in other terms I should say ERROR) in computer is such a big that it can not be sorted out in some quick time. Afterall DIAC has a big database in the form of www.immi.gov.au and some professional people. So I am not sure that delays in the announcements are only because of DIAC's website going wrong. They have many much media channels through which they can made the announcements.

Hi VB

I agree with you. Whilst I am nooooo sort of a computer expert, I don't trust the Minister for Immi an inch either and DIAC are required to obey his orders, even if they think that the man is wrong.

The Minister PROMISED that the new draft SOL would be available on 30th April 2010, so WTF is it? Telling us that the thing "will be delayed" is telling us what we already know.

So:

1. Where is the promised new SOL?

2. Where is the Minister for Immi? He took responsibility for saying that the thing would be ready on 30th April - which it wasn't - so why is he suddenly hiding his light under a bushell instead of fronting up HIMSELF and telling us why the thing is apparently 'not ready' after all?

Personally, I think that the Aussies must be unbelievably stupid. That is the impression that they have chosen to give me, so they will just have to live with the impression that they are monumentally thick, it seems to me. That won't do them any good in the long run, but there we go. Apparently the Aussies Are Thick.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Sorry gill but i read in the west last week that there were 59 ADS for brickies and 12 for Plasterers and there is supposed to be a bit of a boom going on in WA sorry for saying this but gill is the greatest help on here

Hi Orynoco

What is an ADS, please? I am not trying to be stupid - I genuinely don't know what "ADS" means?

Cheers

Gill

I recall that the 1st of July 2010 for the SOL amendment was the date advised by Peter Speldewinde at the MIA seminar in Melbourne a month or so ago.

The prospect of the new SOL implementation date being brought forward is (in my opinion) remote. Indeed, the way the Aus Government is handling its administration of matters generally at the moment I would suggest the reverse is more probable - a delayed introduction.

Given that the SOL is more likely to reduce the number of skilled occupations (I believe this to be common ground) I remain of the view that delaying the progression of one's visa application increases the risk of not being in a position to meet skilled migration threshold requirements.

Recent history will I think show that those who have moved to quickly address changed skilled migration program circumstances are the ones that now have their visas.

Best regards.

Hi again Alan

I believe that Mr Speldewinde said that he understood that it wouild not be possible to make the new SOL effective before either the 18th or the 20th of June 2010 - it was one of those two dates and I have the impression that the reason for the uncertainty was something to do with DIAC's website?

My concern is that Mr Speldewinde addressed the MIA seminar a month ago. A lot can change in a month, particular with Senator Evans about.

Also, since Mr Speldewinde was happy to share his beieifs with everyone at the time of the MIA seminar, why hasn;t he been equally eager to explain to the world why it is that the promised publication date of 30th April 2010 for the new SOL was not adhered to? The Minister made a big song and dance about the idea that the new SOL would be published "by no later than" 30th April 2010 but come the 30th of April 2010 his much vaunted promise was broken and the silence from both him and DIAC about why that happened has been deafening.

It make me suspect that that Minister is up to something, as usual.

I am sure that every migration agent is busy submitting GSM visa applications the minute they are ready, to obviate the risk of the Minister changing his mind about when the new SOL might take effect. I think that every visa applicant who is not using an agent would also be well-advised to submit his own visa application as soon as it is ready, just in case.....

I vaguely understand that if a Student is going to switch to a different course of study from the start of the second semester in 2010 (which I think is around the beginning of August for most courses) he needs to get on and change the course quickly. The non-appearance of the new SOL is simply making his life unnecessarily difficult and unfairly uncertain in my view.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Caitmelbourne

Hi Gill & JonathonZ

What I said was not meant as an attack. I just think that this late in the day, speculations like that cannot be deemed to be in any way helpful in my opinion. I don't believe it will make people submit their applications more quickly! For example, I have paid for a skills assessment & IELTS test & I cannot speed up these processes. I just feel (even more) hopeless now rather than focusing what I need to do over the coming weeks.

Maybe Gill is right, in which case I will address that issue as and when it is definitley an issue.

Sorry if this has been taken the wrong way as I value so greatly that advice that has been given on this forum. I feel like my main focus in life atm is just to stay in Aus which is really testing my emotions right now.

Catherine

Guest CrossforGood
I recall that the 1st of July 2010 for the SOL amendment was the date advised by Peter Speldewinde at the MIA seminar in Melbourne a month or so ago.

The prospect of the new SOL implementation date being brought forward is (in my opinion) remote. Indeed, the way the Aus Government is handling its administration of matters generally at the moment I would suggest the reverse is more probable - a delayed introduction.

Given that the SOL is more likely to reduce the number of skilled occupations (I believe this to be common ground) I remain of the view that delaying the progression of one's visa application increases the risk of not being in a position to meet skilled migration threshold requirements.

Recent history will I think show that those who have moved to quickly address changed skilled migration program circumstances are the ones that now have their visas.

Best regards.

Alan Collett, thanks for sharing your view. you said "I remain of the view that delaying the progression of one's visa application increases the risk of not being in a position to meet skilled migration threshold requirements." Are those who had lodged their application accounted into this circumstances? I am much curious about how they will process or cope with still existing backlog? Cut them or drag them so that they are far more in the position of not meeting threshhold of requirement? And finally show their effrontery shamelessness. This concern has its reference in legendcom, which says that it is a policy to have a valid and suitable skill assessment at the time of decision. but regulations say it is a critera at the time of lodgement. and most skill assessments have expiry date and needs to be revalidated. but i am not sure about this legendcom stuff as an unprofessional. I would be very glad if you could share your view on this further. thanks !:wubclub:

Alan Collett, thanks for sharing your view. you said "I remain of the view that delaying the progression of one's visa application increases the risk of not being in a position to meet skilled migration threshold requirements." Are those who had lodged their application accounted into this circumstances? I am much curious about how they will process or cope with still existing backlog? Cut them or drag them so that they are far more in the position of not meeting threshhold of requirement? And finally show their effrontery shamelessness. This concern has its reference in legendcom, which says that it is a policy to have a valid and suitable skill assessment at the time of decision. but regulations say it is a critera at the time of lodgement. and most skill assessments have expiry date and needs to be revalidated. but i am not sure about this legendcom stuff as an unprofessional. I would be very glad if you could share your view on this further. thanks !:wubclub:

Sorry, but I don't understand the point you are making.

And why are you reading legendcom when it is a subscription only service? Are you a migration agent?

Best regards.

Guest Gollywobbler

And why are you reading legendcom when it is a subscription only service? Are you a migration agent?

Best regards.

Hi Alan

The poster is in Australia to judge from the IP address. Legendcom is available for free in any of the State Libraries in Oz. I would imagine that many businesses subscribe to it too - as anybody can. I suspect that it might be useful for some HR Departments to have access to it when they sponsor a lot of migrants and so on.

The only reason why I don't bother to sunscribe to legendcom myself is because I am just plain stingy. I don't make any money out of the people who want to migrate to Oz, so I'm not prepared to pay for something which might be quite useful but it would not produce a profit for me.

I've looked into the possibility of a subcription to Legendcom for this forum - I've talked with the Legendcom people about the idea. However I would only want it for the specific reason of getting the new Guidance Notes for the MOC because apparently those are being hidden on Legendcom instead of being in the public domain on the DIAC website. Why DIAC have decided to hide the new Notes - which will have cost something like $3 million of tax-payers money to produce - is anyone's guess, frankly.

Let us say that a visa applicant has a child with eye problems. At the moment the General Principles Guidance Note for the MOC has not been finalised but the paper on Ophthalmology is one of the three papers which have been finished and which are currently hidden on Legendcom. The child's Opthalmologist is bound to want to see the document before he produces his own Report. Seeing the General Principles Note would not be a bad idea for him either.

I had thought that it would be possible for the applicant to use the Freedom of Information Act to insist on production of copies of the two documents before he risks wasting any money on a visa application. That might yet work but I am not sure so I am investigating all the possibilities at the moment.

I gather that DIAC have said recently that they will not send copy documents to anybody who does not have a postal address in Australia. No worries - DIAC's own staff in London have access to Legendcom and there is no reason in the world why they shouldn't produce the relevant medical Notes to someone who needs them. If these documents are available - as they are - via any State Library in Australia then I don't see any justification at all for concealing them from visa applicants who do not happen to be in Oz and do not have any rellies in Oz either.

Equally if we can get a cheap sub for Legendcom for the forum for this one purpose then it probably isn't worth suggesting that people should hassle the DIAC staff in London until they get hold of these Notes.

Plus I shouldn't think that DIAC would dare to try to conceal then from a Panel Doctor in the UK and I doubt whether many (if any) of the Panel Doctors would be prepared to pay for a subscription to Legendcom when they themselves would only have a very limited purpose for it.

Dr Douglas, DIAC's CMO, doesn't seem to know why the documents are being hidden on Legendcom. He seems to think that Legendcom is freely available to the general public - which it isn't unless the general public happen to live in Australia. The decision to hide the documents seems to have come from DIAC's HQ in Canberra, not from Dr Douglas - I don't think he realises that the public servants are either pulling the wool over his eyes or the public servants don't know as much as they should know, given that they are employed by DIAC.

I thought that DIAC's excuse might be something to do with space on their website. I assume that websites use memory and I am told that memory is very expensive to purchase for a commercial system, but so far DIAC have not tried to use computer-excuses, so I am still puzzling over their desire for secrecy about this.

All in all, I'm still trying to get to the bottom of the whole thing at the moment.

Cheers

Gill

Guest roantreemj

Hi Gill,As you know we are in Adelaide as of June last year,,,,if you need me to go to my local library to look anything up that you do not have acces to then you only need to shout up,,,,,,,,,happy to help!

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,As you know we are in Adelaide as of June last year,,,,if you need me to go to my local library to look anything up that you do not have acces to then you only need to shout up,,,,,,,,,happy to help!

Hi Martin

Thanks very much indeed for your kind offer. I've no idea how you search Legend because I've never seen it but I gather that there is something called the Health PAM and that the new medical Notes are being appended to that.

However, if anyone needs the Notes I will find out more about how to access them, to save you some time.

Very many thanks again for your kind offer. :hug:

Cheers

Gill

Guest CrossforGood

Best regards.

Hi, Alan, I am not an agent. Just as Gollywobbler mentioned, people in australia somehow get restricted access to legendcom. But i need to clarify that i am not the one who make money out of people migrating to aus, either. i lodged my application sc885 in Oct 2008, independent skill with IELTS4x7, working as a freelance interpreter and translator in aus. I got this legendcom info from a forum where someone pasted it as a pdf a few weeks ago. i tried to find it again but sorry, i lost it.

As to my question, sorry for not putting it clear. I was told there are two sets of criteria for a valid and successful application: the one is the requirement that the applicant needs to meet at the time of lodging the application; the other is the one that applicant needs to meet at the time decision by case officer. (if i am wrong, pls correct me, i just read it between lines)

according to what i read, regulation says that a valid suitable skill assesment is the requirement at the time of lodgement but policy says that it is also the requirement at the time of decision. I clearly remember that in legendcom pasted online puts what regulations say in the former part and what policy says in the latter part, and the poster just highlighted both in red.

My concern is, the same as others', DIAC might conspire to delay our applications until all of our skill assessments expire and to refuse those applications who cannot revalidate their skill assessment. for example, skill assessment of a NAATI (similar with ACS or CPA functioning as skill assessment org)accredited professional interpreter and translator is valid for three years. Continuing work experience as an interpretor or translator in last three years is compulsory for revalidation of skill assessment. no work, no revalidation, no reacquistion of a suitable skill assessment at the time of decision if application is delayed till the first skill assessment expires. i guess it might be the same situation or tougher in IT, accounting or trade...

Revalidation of my skill assessment is not a problem for me since i keep working in relevant field. but for those with the same situation with mine, time, money and energy must be put into it. i don't want to belabour it since it obviously and utterly unfair.

i think you are more professional and can have the first access to exact info in legendcom or whatever. so looking forward to your interpretation and your view on it.

Cheers!:wubclub:

Guest karan sandhu

hi gill

yaa im totally convinced with you that chris evans can do anything he wants and implementation date could be 1st of june as well but due to human nature i love someone saying 1st of july because i have everything ready,,skill asessment,,7 in each ielts,, just waiting for my diploma certificate which i will get on 18th june,, so iam dying to see 1st of july as a implementation date.....but u r absolutely rite that anything can happen but iam happy that they delayed it so hopefully implementation date cud be delayed as well till 1st of july..I KNOW GUESSING WONT HELP ME.

so im just keeping my fingers crossed gill

so im always dying to hear from you GILL that ( yes implementation date is 1st july 2010 ) lolz

cheers

KARAN

This is the response from my agent and we have now instructed them to lodge our 176 family sponsored asap and then we can switch to SS when that comes through.

"I have not heard anything to this degree and because it is only a rumour, I would not have brought this to your attention as it is not solid fact confirmed by the Department of Immigration & Citizenship and would only cause you unnecessary worries.

If you are still worried that this rumour may actually become a reality, we could apply for the Family-Sponsored Skilled 176 visa before the 17th of May and then provide the evidence of the successful State Sponsorship application upon receipt of the outcome.

Please confirm that you would like for us to apply for the visa now and we will begin the preparations without further delay."

I do hope though that it is only speculation and they stick to their date of 1 July 2010 as there are so many people on here who have everything riding on that date and are waiting various results for assessments, IELTS, SS, etc. and who's dreams may be shattered with a sudden implementation date of mid May.

Claire

Guest apples

hi claire

Is ACT providing sponsorship for 2231-17 App & Analyst Programmer?I couldn't see that in their SOL list,if u have that link plz send me,Iam requesting you since i also got assesed under 2231-17 and so far i didnt apply for any state sponsorship's thinking that ,this is not listed in any of the states sponsorship occupation list.Do u know any other states providing state sponsorship for this category.Iam waiting for your immediate response as iam waiting in the queue from 2007 august.

hi claire

Is ACT providing sponsorship for 2231-17 App & Analyst Programmer?I couldn't see that in their SOL list,if u have that link plz send me,Iam requesting you since i also got assesed under 2231-17 and so far i didnt apply for any state sponsorship's thinking that ,this is not listed in any of the states sponsorship occupation list.Do u know any other states providing state sponsorship for this category.Iam waiting for your immediate response as iam waiting in the queue from 2007 august.

Yes it is on ACT's sponsorship list... Business and Industry Development - Skilled Migration

Look at the Quota list of occupations

2231-17

Applications and Analyst Programmer

Proficient English;

Limited

hi claire

Hi apples

As Ozzieland has advised, it is now on the quota list and is limited. They recently moved this occupation from the Baseline to Quota on 1 April 2010 so if you wish to apply I would act quickly if you want to reside in ACT in case it moves to Closed.

When we applied in March this year ACT was the only state with this occupation on their In Demand list. Not too sure if this has changed since and with the new SOL coming soon it may nor may not be available in other states.

Good luck

Claire

Hi apples

As Ozzieland has advised, it is now on the quota list and is limited. They recently moved this occupation from the Baseline to Quota on 1 April 2010 so if you wish to apply I would act quickly if you want to reside in ACT in case it moves to Closed.

When we applied in March this year ACT was the only state with this occupation on their In Demand list. Not too sure if this has changed since and with the new SOL coming soon it may nor may not be available in other states.

Good luck

Claire

Hi apples, i just remembered late last night that Regional SA had this occupation in Demand too at the time we applied for ACT. I just checked their list and it is still in demand. Site below.

Make The Move :: General skilled migration

However, SA have a cut-off deadline for SS as 14th May 2010.

Cheers

Claire

Guest karan sandhu

hi claire

well even iam hoping for the same 1st of july but if u can move now as well then whats the point in waiting , i dnt have anyother option so i have to wait atleast thill16th june to get my diploma certificate , im done wid all other docs,,,so u must move on,, and pray for 1st july

cheers

KARAN

Archived