How much is renting in oz?

Lucysdream

Guest gary12
Can't wait. I was in oz about 4/5 months ago when in the peck of its summer and it was great. I tend to feel the cold more then other people due to a medical condition I have had since birth so it was lovely. I also suit a tan :wink:

My partner and I also like being in the great outdoors....cycling etc.... so that would be nice as never get the chance here much as always cold or wet :no:

I had to laugh at you saying you suit a tan, hardly anyone I know in Melbourne has one unless it's fake. It's the one thing I am constantly asked by people in the UK...are you brown? :twitcy: I wish I had the chance to sit outside!

regards

Michelle

I had to laugh at you saying you suit a tan, hardly anyone I know in Melbourne has one unless it's fake. It's the one thing I am constantly asked by people in the UK...are you brown? :twitcy: I wish I had the chance to sit outside!

regards

Michelle

...not to mention the constant stream of "no tan is a healthy tan" ads on TV!

Bob

Guest Hearne_Family

We live in Berwick (in Melbourne's S/E), its a nice place to live, good schools, shops, outdoor space etc, there are jobs around near by, but I commute to Kew for my job, not sure where in Oz you plan to move but we have a three bedroom place, not new but by no means a dump, in a lovely quiet street, we also have a huge rear yard and we pay $280 p/w. I know we are lucky as there are some people we know living in comparable houses in Berwick who pay more but even they are only paying $320-330 p/w.

As another poster rightly stated its all about 'depends'.

Good luck.

Terry

hi everyone!

Sounds like melbourne is an expensive place! I have seen some great properties for brisbane/gold coast area between 250-300 dollars I have been researching them for the last 6 months to see changes in properties/prices and so many decent properties have came up!

Also I have known people to live in oz for a year or 2 working and have all had a tan for most of the time they have been there! I also know a few ozzys and all have tans, when they came over here to work and lost there tans they were not impressed!

I think its all based on opinion and area you live, I have spoke to many people on here who are living out in oz and they have had many different views to the above on renting.

Lucysdream what area are you looking to go? and are you a family or a couple?

Thanks

I don't mean to suggest.. "Don't Come", All I am saying is, make sure you come with your eyes open. There are some things that are cheaper than UK, like transport etc.., however, housing is not one of them (Melbourne is the 3 most unaffordable housing market in the world.. London is 5th) ... we have been to so many auctions where the bidding sails past the top asking price and way past our budget..... (I think the record was 30seconds at a house which sold for $150,000 past its reserve) ... with the weak pound and the silly prices here (to rent and buy)... you come back to reality very quickly that what you have isn't worth so much here.

If you managed to convert your money when it was 2.40+ a few years ago, great, but people are having to deal with rates of 1.64 today !

Good luck.., follow your dreams, but, do your sums..

Excellent post,well said!:biggrin:

hi everyone!

Sounds like melbourne is an expensive place! I have seen some great properties for brisbane/gold coast area between 250-300 dollars I have been researching them for the last 6 months to see changes in properties/prices and so many decent properties have came up!

Also I have known people to live in oz for a year or 2 working and have all had a tan for most of the time they have been there! I also know a few ozzys and all have tans, when they came over here to work and lost there tans they were not impressed!

I think its all based on opinion and area you live, I have spoke to many people on here who are living out in oz and they have had many different views to the above on renting.

Lucysdream what area are you looking to go? and are you a family or a couple?

Thanks

Yes I have seen that Melbourne is one of the most expensive places to live, I never said I wanted to live there its just some of the reviews I have been given are from people who live there. Melbourne seems to appear to alot of british friends I have spoke to who love it, I have never been to that apart of oz but to be honest Melbourne so far hasn't much appeared to me, but would still love to visit. I would of course do more research before deciding where to start off in oz first. I was thinking maybe Perth/Queensland/Adelaide but it depends what states are sponsoring my partners job from 1st July, but it is on the new sol. When I was in oz, Aussies kept taking the mick out of melbourne and how people wouldn't lie about coming from their due to the weather!! (sounds like uk!!)

Also in answer to your question we will be going as a couple with no children. So a one room place would be fine but would like it in a half decent area and would depend on work as you said. What are the rough areas in oz like? Are they like the rough area's in UK?

Gary12 - yes we would start off cheap like you said anyway while we settle. I don't need much from a home, just a roof and somewhere to keep my things!! :)

:hug: Thanks all

Archived