How much is renting in oz?

Lucysdream

Hi everyone, my partner and I are starting our visa application. We don't have a house we own so when we move to oz will be renting again. I was just wondering how much it is to rent say just apartments? What are the bills like? I know buying homes in oz u get more for your money but whats the story with renting?

Many thanks :hug:

Guest itskaren
Hi everyone, my partner and I are starting our visa application. We don't have a house we own so when we move to oz will be renting again. I was just wondering how much it is to rent say just apartments? What are the bills like? I know buying homes in oz u get more for your money but whats the story with renting?

Many thanks :hug:

Hi Lucy

We are in melbourne have a look at www.realestate.com.au this will give you some idea of the rental guide.

Houses are getting very expensive here to say the least. Also they are certainly not as well built as they are in the UK in my opinion.

I do worry about people 'living the dream' ... because to me it is not! Good luck to you.

I know Melbourne is quite expensive, and probably wouldn't look to move them anyway. You still on average get more for you money when buying but I only wanted to know for renting for now, just so we make sure we budget for everything. Well at least if your not living the dream u have tried it and can always return home with the experience. Many thanks I will look at the link as a guide. :)

Guest itskaren
I know Melbourne is quite expensive, and probably wouldn't look to move them anyway. You still on average get more for you money when buying but I only wanted to know for renting for now, just so we make sure we budget for everything. Well at least if your not living the dream u have tried it and can always return home with the experience. Many thanks I will look at the link as a guide. :)

I disagree with you ... I think it used to be like tha but not now in my opinion. We missed the boat. We should have come pre 2007... but hey this is in my experience!

We are in a 3 bedroomed unit.. Very ordinary, no garden. Quite grim in fact. We live just outside Lilydale on the Eastern Surburbs. We pay $1600 a month.

I certainly wouldn't say you get more for your money buying compared to renting here. In my area is costs around $600 a week to rent a 2 bed house or around double that in mortgage repayments alone if you buy.

To get an idea of what renting in the areas you are thinking of will cost check out Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au and http://www.domain.com.au. Here the landlord pays the council tax and water rates, tenants are responsible for gas/electric and, sometimes, water usage. Rentals are generally unfurnished so whilst they will have a cooker the tenant will need to provide everything else including fridge & washing machine

The truthful answer is "it depends". It depends on where your want to locate and what you want to rent.

Melbourne seems to be horribly expensive--a bit like central London in UK terms.

To put things in perspective, we have a nice 4 bedroom house (that's 4 double bedrooms with built in wardrobes) and a two car garage big enough for our car and a pool table--and we spend $320. per week. Rates and water are included in the rent; we have no gas so the only bills are electricity (about $50 per month if we don't run the air conditioning, a lot more if we do) and phone for which we spend $109 per month for phone, pretty much unlimited calling in Aus and ADSL broadband.

Apartments are available here for under $200 per week; "units" tend to be around $250.

(We're about 110km. inland from Brisbane in a city of just over 100,000.)

Rather than confuse yourself with hugely varying rents between the excesses of Sydney and Melbourne down to the very cheap rates out in the sticks, you might be better off shortlisting come communities then researching specific places.

Finally, it's worth noting that the apparent comparison changes greatly depending on the exchange rate. When we arrived, we got $2.42 for every pound; today it's down to $1.65. The only valid comparison is against what you expect to earn in Aus, not between pounds and dollars.

Bob

hey,

I am moving to oz in september and will also be renting! I have been researching loads and looked at tonnes of properties to rent! It probably will depend on where you want to go. We are looking at queensland. the northern parts like cairns seem to be cheaper and areas such as goldcoast seem to be little bit more but nothing to expensive. I am looking for a 2bed apartment costing between $250 - $300 weekly and have seen some very nice apartments even houses some being 3bedroom. so keep your eye out there are some good deals!:biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nomad

We live 25km south from Melbourne CBD in a suburb called mentone.. Average 2bed Units are upto 350 a week, 3 beds can be from 400 to 800 the closer to the beach and on beach road, can be 1000+ We pay 580 for a 3 bed townhouse (2520 month)

We have seen whole bunch of "cheaper" areas, but some of the places we saw were terrible. Our landlord is really nice, however some of our friends have really had problems here as the landlords can take the mickey !. I don't mean to scare you, but people coming to OZ from the UK need to understand that the days of "Cheap" OZ, where you can rent or buy massive houses cheaply are gone (unless you want to live in country Victoria, where there is limited employment)

Guest its greg

I think by reading all the replays i would just stay at home. I moved to QLD 2 years ago about a hours drive from Brisbane, i rented a 4 bedroom house with a gardener for $320/week. You just have to look around a bit, and i think it is still cheaper than the UK. Don't let people put you off. i also move with no house to sell i had 9.000 pounds in the bank, i bought a car and everything for my house, so it can be done. Good luck.

Guest nomad
I think by reading all the replays i would just stay at home. I moved to QLD 2 years ago about a hours drive from Brisbane, i rented a 4 bedroom house with a gardener for $320/week. You just have to look around a bit, and i think it is still cheaper than the UK. Don't let people put you off. i also move with no house to sell i had 9.000 pounds in the bank, i bought a car and everything for my house, so it can be done. Good luck.

I don't mean to suggest.. "Don't Come", All I am saying is, make sure you come with your eyes open. There are some things that are cheaper than UK, like transport etc.., however, housing is not one of them (Melbourne is the 3 most unaffordable housing market in the world.. London is 5th) ... we have been to so many auctions where the bidding sails past the top asking price and way past our budget..... (I think the record was 30seconds at a house which sold for $150,000 past its reserve) ... with the weak pound and the silly prices here (to rent and buy)... you come back to reality very quickly that what you have isn't worth so much here.

If you managed to convert your money when it was 2.40+ a few years ago, great, but people are having to deal with rates of 1.64 today !

Good luck.., follow your dreams, but, do your sums..

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm not actually coming to oz because of more house for the money, I'm not bothered by bricks and water!! I was just finding out about renting prices as most programs you see or research done is about buying. I know it depends to where u live now in Uk, and to where you move in oz, also at the moment the pound is weak but when you start work in oz your be earning dollors. As long as its a home in the sunshine you can't put a price on it as u sure in hell never get that in uk! ;)

hay lucy ...dont know where u are planning to move to ...u didnt say ....but we are in perth and currently rentin a 4x2 with pool ....$460 / week ......there are plenty of units available for around 250/300 but to be honest they are not in the kinda areas u want to live ....prices are always dictated on area / transport / access to city / schools /shops etc and most important employment ......if u are wise u will research the areas where ur job is most in demand ......otherwise u may find u cant afford anything no matter how cheap !!! .....had to chuckle at ur comment about a house in the sun .....unfortunately i thought the very same before i came ...that as long as the sun was shining i wouldnt care where i was living ......how sooooo wrong i was ...cause believe me if u cant afford a property with air / con then that sun will soon become a pain in the ass :wink:

mrs keily

Guest itskaren
Thanks for everyone's input. I'm not actually coming to oz because of more house for the money, I'm not bothered by bricks and water!! I was just finding out about renting prices as most programs you see or research done is about buying. I know it depends to where u live now in Uk, and to where you move in oz, also at the moment the pound is weak but when you start work in oz your be earning dollors. As long as its a home in the sunshine you can't put a price on it as u sure in hell never get that in uk! ;)

That sun sometimes grinds you down!!

hi can i just say that depending on your circumstances you may get rent assisstance :) i know you do if you're a family and earn under a certain amount (i think it's $100,000 plus!!) for example when we were renting a house at $390 a week we were getting about $120 back a fortnight in rent assistance :)

i'm not sure if its something you just get if you have a family through centrelink though... but worth knowing! so perhaps not relevant to the poster sorry! but worth other people knowing!

i've met some people who've been here for a coiuple of years who had never heard of it and could have been claiming it! definitely worth asking centrelink about!

we never had it in the uk, and we obviously dont have any help in that way now we have our own house! but fab for those renting with families :)

good luck!

Living the dream wot **** , go ahead with the dream attitude and you are half to going back without even going , its real life can be hard ,but its good ,work and taxes ,no dream ,a good life , followed a lot of "dreamers " on here and it tends to go **** up on them , renting is expensive ,esp here in wa ,

Living the dream wot **** , go ahead with the dream attitude and you are half to going back without even going , its real life can be hard ,but its good ,work and taxes ,no dream ,a good life , followed a lot of "dreamers " on here and it tends to go **** up on them , renting is expensive ,esp here in wa ,

Yes I agree life can be hard, noone ever said it was an easy ride!! I know whereever u live you have to work etc.... It depends what your dreams are as different people have different expectations and dreams. Plus some people have more money then others so they may have an easier time of it! :wubclub: different for everyone!

Guest itskaren
I don't care what it does as long as it keeps me hot hot hot!! :cool:

:xmasnorthpole: aka England!!!

It certainly will! It will be great for a few months ...

Guest YellowGecko

realestate.com.au is the best start to check prices!

Remember, in Australia you DO NOT pay Council Tax on Rental properties.

The owner does.

It certainly will! It will be great for a few months ...

Can't wait. I was in oz about 4/5 months ago when in the peck of its summer and it was great. I tend to feel the cold more then other people due to a medical condition I have had since birth so it was lovely. I also suit a tan :wink:

My partner and I also like being in the great outdoors....cycling etc.... so that would be nice as never get the chance here much as always cold or wet :no:

Guest nomad
hay lucy ...dont know where u are planning to move to ...u didnt say ....but we are in perth and currently rentin a 4x2 with pool ....$460 / week ......there are plenty of units available for around 250/300 but to be honest they are not in the kinda areas u want to live ....prices are always dictated on area / transport / access to city / schools /shops etc and most important employment ......if u are wise u will research the areas where ur job is most in demand ......otherwise u may find u cant afford anything no matter how cheap !!! .....had to chuckle at ur comment about a house in the sun .....unfortunately i thought the very same before i came ...that as long as the sun was shining i wouldnt care where i was living ......how sooooo wrong i was ...cause believe me if u cant afford a property with air / con then that sun will soon become a pain in the ass :wink:

mrs keily

This is real sound advise.. Just do your maths as you can't live on dreams and wishes here. Research the job market here..... I was luck as I got a job fairly quickly as I'm in IT, but my wife is a PA (with 10 years ) and even though OZ is "Booming", it took her almost a year to find a job. The standard reason was " you Don't have Australian experience",

Good Luck.. Take Care..:hug:

hi can i just say that depending on your circumstances you may get rent assisstance :) i know you do if you're a family and earn under a certain amount (i think it's $100,000 plus!!) for example when we were renting a house at $390 a week we were getting about $120 back a fortnight in rent assistance :)

i'm not sure if its something you just get if you have a family through centrelink though... but worth knowing! so perhaps not relevant to the poster sorry! but worth other people knowing!

Besides income, it also depends on your visa--like most benefits, you can't get it in your first two years or while on one of the various forms of employment-related visa.

However, once you have the two years under your belt and have PR and citizenship, the Aussie system has some pretty generous benefits and it's worth talking to Centrelink. Child benefit, rent assistance, etc. are all darn good here.

Indeed, in the form they send you when you get your visa, one of the suggestions is that you register with Centrelink shortly after your arrival. Even if you don't qualify for anything straight away, it's worth taking this advice.

Bob

Guest gary12

My advice is really, really think about what you need from a home. When we arrived there was not a chance I was renting a home smaller than the one we owned in the UK, we had lots of visitors planned and there was no way I was making the children share a room. So for that stubborness alone we were paying the whopping sum of just short of $3k a month. Now with the great gift of hindsight we would have had a smaller home with a smaller outside space and saved our cash, it was crippling in the first year and I hated the house for many reasons but one being it was costing us so much.

We are PR's and are a single income family but didn't qualify for rent assistance.

Don't rush into a rental thinking that you must take the first thing or you will be homeless, you won't. Just arrange a decent time in a holiday rental or such like, I suggest 4 - 6 weeks just to take some pressure off in those first and very stressful weeks.

We have now purchased our own home and even though they have a room each my kids have ended up choosing to share!!

best of luck

Michelle

Archived