Do yo know of anyone thats suffered a spider or snake bite?

hedgehog

I was wondering if anyone knew someone thats suffered from a poisonous bite? If so what was the creature in question and the outcome. I know the probability of this happening is low but I am interested here any experiences with the really wild wild life, this does not involve those that have 2 legs and say ''whey I man' or 'g'day'.

I heard a story about a boy called Peter Parker who was bitten by a spider in a lab. The outcome was basically that he was ill for a few days but then he realised he had super powers as a result of the bite, which was lucky because people like the green goblin keep trying to get him. I think they might have made a film about him.

I heard the same story too lol. Only been here a short time but not known of anyone yet whose been bitten. Very pleased that my 7 year old heeded the warning and doesn't touch any creatures in the garden. Biggest thing we've come across is cockroaches, and we make sure we shake our shoes in the mornings.

Ali

I was biten by a Huntsman spider while in the Gold Coast, came back to Sydney and within 2 days of the bite my whole left leg was swollen. Spent 3 days in hospital as I got an infection from the bite and had an op to drain the crap out.

I was biten by a Huntsman spider while in the Gold Coast, came back to Sydney and within 2 days of the bite my whole left leg was swollen. Spent 3 days in hospital as I got an infection from the bite and had an op to drain the crap out.

l thought Huntsman spiders were harmless :shocked: and far too big to miss! :wideeyed:

Bu**er! Hope you are OK now though.

Guest FiremanMart

My Cousins Wife got bitten by a Redback last year. She came in the house and was somewhat 'drunk' all of a sudden:goofy: All the family had a bit of a laugh at her expense and then took her to visit the local doctor who basically said, 'drink lots of fluids and you'll be fine - if you were going to have an adverse reaction, you would have done so by now!'

...Apparantly, she had quite a hangover the next day but made a full recovery.

I was wondering if anyone knew someone thats suffered from a poisonous bite? If so what was the creature in question and the outcome. I know the probability of this happening is low but I am interested here any experiences with the really wild wild life, this does not involve those that have 2 legs and say ''whey I man' or 'g'day'.

Funnily enough I asked this question to a friend of mine who is an australian and lives in Perth the other day....

i asked her if she had seen lots of spiders and if she allows her kids in the garden/outside without shoes on.... her reply was that she has NEVER seen a red back, does not know anyone who has been bitten and her kids walk bare feet all the time!!!

i was a little surprised... (especially about the shoes)....!!

min x:wubclub:

Guest old pom

No, Ive lived here for over 30 years and I don't know anyone who has been bitten by a venomous snake or spider. Even my son who spent 2 years in the outback wasn't bitten by anything. Sorry if this disappoints some of you.

When will Poms stop making such a fuss about snakes and spiders?

Guest old pom

No, I've lived here for over 30 years and I don't know anyone who has been bitten by a venomous snake or spider. Even my son who spent 2 years in the outback wasn't bitten by anything. Sorry if this disappoints some of you.

When will Poms stop making such a fuss about snakes and spiders?

I heard a story about a boy called Peter Parker who was bitten by a spider in a lab. The outcome was basically that he was ill for a few days but then he realised he had super powers as a result of the bite, which was lucky because people like the green goblin keep trying to get him. I think they might have made a film about him.

That'll be my husband then!

He was bitten by a redback. The redback died from poisoning, but my OH lived after taking a week's worth of antibiotics. Much to his annoyance, 'cos he couldn't drink*.

LC

* No, he only drinks alcohol.:goofy:

l thought Huntsman spiders were harmless :shocked: and far too big to miss! :wideeyed:

Bu**er! Hope you are OK now though.

Harmless, yes but the bite pierced the skin and the skin got infected. The whole leg got infected too. So a case of bad luck really. Took 2 weeks to calm down, but all well now.

Guest tinbasher
That'll be my husband then!

He was bitten by a redback. The redback died from poisoning, but my OH lived after taking a week's worth of antibiotics. Much to his annoyance, 'cos he couldn't drink*.

LC

* No, he only drinks alcohol.:goofy:

Yes LC but what you're not telling everyone is that you planted the spider in his undies! Poor spider didn't stand a chance.

Mrs TinB

My sisters friend got bitten by a spider in Adelaide (sorry can't remember what one). Story goes her OH came home from work and she felt flu like, she was asleep on the sofa and her husband noticed her foot was red and slightly swollen - checked her shoe and a dead spider in there! She was taken to hospital and put on a drip. Met her New Years Eve and she is fine now, but checks inside her shoes before she puts them on! In fact she wears 'thongs' all the time now (lol)

When we ask my cousin who lives in Brisbane his only bit of advise (after laughing) was

'It's common sense if you have garden furniture in the shed for ages then decide to bring it out, always check under the furniture before you put your hands under to take it out the shed'!!!

emmm simple you see !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest old pom

Snakes and spiders are native animals and, unlike foxes and rabbits which were brought here, they do no harm to the environment.

If you want native animals exterminated then don't come here.

Mrs T...I would never do anything that cruel...spiders have rights too!

Old Pom...I don't think anyone wants to exterminate them (although Chelle might not agree!). I think it's a pretty typical concern. After all, we have virtually no worries regarding wildlife in the UK (not that kind of wildlife anyway!) and so people coming over do worry and considering the amount of poisonous spiders, snakes etc, I reckon it's understandable.

That said, I think once you get here you quickly realise that these creatures are just going about their lives and not actually lying in wait, ready to kill our loved ones. I don't wear footwear (am training to become a hobbit) in the garden/car etc, I don't put on gloves before picking up every leaf / moving furniture etc, but I am aware of the likely hiding places and take precautions when I have to. When my OH got bitten, he was clearing out some old bikes from a friend's yard...so no surprise that he got bitten really. In fact he deserved it for his stupidity! (Also saved us a bit on slabs that week! :wubclub:)

LC

Guest aveenandme

:spinny:Hi. my sister was bitten about 9 week ago by an eastern brown snake. They are poisonous, but she wrapped her foot and lower leg in firm bandage and went to hospital. they swabbed the fang marks to find out the culprit ( she didn't see it) and then kept an eye on her for a few hours. No antivenom unless absoloutly necessary as this in itself can be quite nasty. Everyone has been amazed as it is such a rare occurance and they've only been there 3 year. They had their citizenship interview the next day. They told the fella and he said "your in". He said she was "luck to have been chosen personally by the wildlife". He never met a victim before either. She thinks she stood on it or kicked it when she ran up the garden -with shoes on.

Snakes and spiders are native animals and, unlike foxes and rabbits which were brought here, they do no harm to the environment.

If you want native animals exterminated then don't come here.

l am sure Buckbuchanan was just jesting!?!?

Trouble is there are loads of programmes on the UK sat channels that cover this topic and its pretty clear that they over dramatise (is that how you spell it?, just discovered you gotta download something to make spell check work) things to make it more interesting which of course then puts the fear of god into anyone with any doubts - very understandable.

I hate spiders and snakes but l am also a lover of all wildlife and now feel quite comfortable about coming across them (l think :swoon:)

Lyn

Guest Vicar of Dibley

Dear Old Pom

Personally I think the whole spiders, snakes "fuss" is totally understandable from a population whose nearest brush with anything venomous is during election time!

I've read quite a few posts on various forums where the ex-pats get a little "short" with people about the spider and snake issue!

Which leads onto an interesting question. How long do you have to be in Oz before you start calling fellow Brits "Poms" as if you've never been one yourself?

I mean, you can live in Wales all your life and still be considered the "newbie". Is there an official qualifying period and if so how long is it?

For my own part, I'm looking forward to the day when I call Brits "Poms" and smile fondly at the red backs nesting in my garden as I take my beloved pet Huntsman out for a daily hunting trip to track down all the escaped rogue bunnies that some eejit brought over from Pommie land!

Until then I just keep watching this. It calms me down and puts the whole thing in perspective!

Did ya know that the eejit that brought the bunnies over was one of them upper class officials (twats) who wanted something to entertain him (shoot at) when not ordering the convicts about. Boy did that backfire! Then they bought the foxes over so that they wouldnt miss their UK pastime (such lovely people - l think not).

l presume they were the daft ones that bought the cane toads in too :unsure:

The upper class brits back in them days have a lot to answer for.

Guest Rachel&Stu
I thought it was obvious (based on the enormity of the task of extermination of all spiders and snakes), but it was actually a joke!

Yes it was obvious Buck :yes:

Rachel:wubclub:

Archived