Visa Question Temporary or Not

Guest tabatha

Guest tabatha

Has any one on this site applied for 176 and then decided to go for temporary visa for 2 years, whilst awaiting permenent visa...Is this possible??? or does it affect the 176???? Thinking maby of doing this and moving in Jan 2011???? Any advice for a desperate disnosaur?????:daydreaming:

Guest ebstar

Hi, we too are desperate dino's. We are applying for 175 skilled visa but as we want to go soon we have gained employer sponsorship on 475.we are also going to apply for state sponsorship to change the 175 to 176 as this (under current rules) should speed up the permenent visa.We are migrating with three kiddies so dont want to be on the temp one for too long.

Guest Gollywobbler
Has any one on this site applied for 176 and then decided to go for temporary visa for 2 years, whilst awaiting permenent visa...Is this possible??? or does it affect the 176???? Thinking maby of doing this and moving in Jan 2011???? Any advice for a desperate disnosaur?????:daydreaming:

Hi tabatha

Which temporary visa do you have in mind, please? The sc 457 employer sponsored visa? If yes, have you thought about the possible downsides? These can include:

• You and the employer do not hit it off once you get to Oz and start work;

• The employer lays you off and nobody else will take you on;

• You may have to pay school-fees at International Student rates for any children;

• You may find that it is difficult to get loans because you are only on a temp visa;

• Temp visa holders do not get the First Home Owners Grant if they buy a house in Oz;

Don't let dreams of BBQs and beaches in Oz get the better of some hard headed reality, I would suggest.

Is the potential employer lined up? If so, whereabouts is the employer (which State or large City that I might be able to locate without looking at a map) please?

What is your occupation, please?

Cheers

Gill

Guest ebstar

Hi Gill, We have an employer sponsor for 457. We went over in feb and got on well,seemed to be like minded. We started theball rolling to apply for 175 in march 09 (when we were on the csl and told by our agent we would have a visa in around 8 months) but by the time references came back and we had to wait 8 months for a skills test we had been affected by the changes.Our eldest daughter is now 13 and we are desperate to go soon as we want her to get benefit of the schooling.(her school is c**p)My OH has been offered a few positions so we thought the 457 would be our best option.Just seen your post about school fees at international rates.The only info i have found suggests this for older kids (college,uni).Do you know if this is the case in melbourne?I'm now worried we will need to spend our house buying money on sending the kids to school.(We were opting for state school.)Just sold the house subject to exchange.Any advise would be great.Thanks

Gill is quite right about the difficulty in getting loans on a temporary visa. It may not sound like much of an issue, but things like credit cards and car finance can be beyond your grasp even though you may have led a sound financial existence in the UK. It shouldn't be a deal-breaker but something to be aware of.

You can get a mortgage/credit cards etc on a temporary visa as we have done it. School fees if you are going private you pay the same as anyone else, not international rates. International rates would apply for further education. If you are able to open a bank account in Oz from the UK and deposit funds that would help you build up a relationship with that bank so that when you activate your account on arrival you can then apply for credit cards etc. Hope this helps.

You can get a mortgage/credit cards etc on a temporary visa as we have done it.

I was told that a mortgage is impossible whilst serving probation in a new job and thereafter I need a partner who has permanent residency to take the mortgage out with me. Credit cards are proving problematic and I was refused car credit because of the temporary visa. This is despite a healthy salary in the public sector.

Guest tabatha

Hi Gill

I'm a head cook, and my husband is self employed in the haulage industryand before this we owned a small hotel.. I was thinking about just a temporary working visa.. We dont want to go down the route of Employer sponsership as we have plans to start a small business after getting settled on a permenent visa. Any advice you can give would be gratefull. Thanks

I was told that a mortgage is impossible whilst serving probation in a new job and thereafter I need a partner who has permanent residency to take the mortgage out with me. Credit cards are proving problematic and I was refused car credit because of the temporary visa. This is despite a healthy salary in the public sector.

I don't know if they still do it, but whilst I was on a student visa HSBC offered me a credit card so long as I put a term deposit down as security. The amount of my term deposit was also what I got for my credit limit. Kinda defeats the purpose of a credit card but scheme debit cards were not in vogue in Oz at that time (I'm talking 2004) and I wanted a CC to buy stuff online.

Also, after using their VISA Everyday Debit product for some time, ANZ pre-approved me for a Mastercard with a $6000 limit. I thought it'd get declined when I sent the form back and they realised I wasn't a PR yet, but i got my card.

Finally, AMEX charge cards are available to holders of employer-sponsored temp visas - might be worth looking into. And if you had an AMEX Platinum charge card overseas and have not closed the account, they're usually able to "transfer" the account to Oz for you (though this may not apply in every country).

Car credit and mortgages are tough on temp visas, though I'm lucky on that front as my fella is an Australian citizen and we do everything jointly.

Hi Gill

I'm a head cook, and my husband is self employed in the haulage industryand before this we owned a small hotel.. I was thinking about just a temporary working visa.. We dont want to go down the route of Employer sponsership as we have plans to start a small business after getting settled on a permenent visa. Any advice you can give would be gratefull. Thanks

When you say temporary wokring visa did you mean the working holiday visa? If you have not had one before and are both 30 or under that could be an option. The only other temporary visa that allows you to work is the employer sponsored one.

Archived