Need some reassurance! Gotta wait 5 years until I can move there.....How depressing!

BritChickx

It will fly by but in the meantime there are so many people who are putting emigration on hold for financial reasons. Hopefully by the time it's your turn, the GFC will be a bit more on the mend and you'll have more money to take.

It will fly by but in the meantime there are so many people who are putting emigration on hold for financial reasons. Hopefully by the time it's your turn, the GFC will be a bit more on the mend and you'll have more money to take.

if it makes you feel any better, i had planned to go to Aus when i was 21.

i had a place on a pilot course all set up, and then got an offer of a job as an apprentice aircraft engineer. i couldnt pass it up so i took it. i had been wanting to got to aus since i was about 16 or 17. things happened and it was 10 years ago today that i joined the RAF. i can assure you, im 33 now and i have no idea how the last 10 years has passed by so quickly without me noticing. i loved what i was doing when i first joined up, for probebly the first 3 years, then i got sick of it after 6. i left and then went to work in spain for a while and then italy. i have also visited many countries while with the airforce and as a holiday maker, but the there are only 2 places i really want to try living in still. Australia and the USA. my wife wants to try Aus and since the companies we work for both have offices/operations in Australia, we thought it would be a pretty good option. so heres hoping it works out!

my wifes dad lives in thialand and my parents are moving to canada to be nearer the rest of my mums family as she is canadian. my sister lives in Glasgow so i rarely see her, my sister, brother-in -law, and niece and nephew are my only real family here so we have very little to leave behind.

it may not seem like it at the time, but the years will pass by more quickly than you'd like!

Wow looks like you've had a long journey and been many places! I am sure you will get there in the end :) the reason why I want to move as soon as I can is because I wanna experience aus as a young adult and without kids and would like any children I have to be born there - much better than bringing them up in the UK! Good luck with your move :D let me know how things go.

• 5 years later...

Dont give up hope! I started on a 5 year plan that took 7 years and when I was actually following my path I was able to enjoy it and being in Australia at that time wasn't as important. Knowing I would get there when I was ready was all that mattered. The time has nearly gone and looking back I am proud of how hard we (the family) had to work to get here.

A lot of people were right when they said to get my education first. I suppose I can't have any regrets because I wouldn't have had the experiences i've had (good and bad) or be the person I am today. It's just frustrating, being on PIO probably doesn't help! I'll be 28 or 29 by the time I get there now (and this time nothing will get in my way).

You have worked really hard and I'm looking forward to you all moving and settling down :)

A lot of people were right when they said to get my education first. I suppose I can't have any regrets because I wouldn't have had the experiences i've had (good and bad) or be the person I am today. It's just frustrating, being on PIO probably doesn't help! I'll be 28 or 29 by the time I get there now (and this time nothing will get in my way).

You have worked really hard and I'm looking forward to you all moving and settling down :)

I think that's the key BC - you've gained an awful lot of life experience in these last 5 years and become older and wiser. Sometimes the things that don't go right become the best opportunities for us to learn and grow as a person.

I'm not much better lol 4 years on here and no college/uni and that's me only just getting my stuff together to get to australia.

you are going to make an amazing nurse and you'll be able to settle over there permanently - it'll be worth the wait x

I think that's the key BC - you've gained an awful lot of life experience in these last 5 years and become older and wiser. Sometimes the things that don't go right become the best opportunities for us to learn and grow as a person.

I was kind of looking at old threads i made yesterday and laughing to myself because to me I sound different ! But you're right, the next 5 years will no doubt go quick and once i've started college i'll be on the right track.

It's hard sometimes but I am and will continue trying to live in the moment and not think too much about the future. I'm really looking forward to studying my degree, I think once I'm at uni I'll be too busy to think about aus until I graduate anyway!

I feel your pain! At least your doing something you enjoy and is a skilled job.

I got all my degree and work experience then they took my job off the list :cry: now the OH has qualified as a chef and his just now counting down every month of work experience to get the amount of years he needs for us to move. Fingers crossed that does not get taken off the list.

Archived