Emma2

School cut off dates

Hi all

We are hoping to move to Brisbane area at the beginning of 2011 and I am just wondering about school years.

My daughter is 14 in October so I guess she will start in year 8 in January? The problem is my son is currently in year 7 here but will not be 12 until august so I think he misses the cut off date? I really don't want him to have to drop down a year because his education is very important to him (he's a complete swot and definately doesn't get it from me!). He is currently in a Grammar school in the uk and is in the top third of his class for all subjects. Do schools in Oz ever let pupils move to the year above if the child is bright enough?

This is quite important as my son's only worry about us moving is that his education won't suffer.

Thanks for any help.

Emma x

Hi all

We are hoping to move to Brisbane area at the beginning of 2011 and I am just wondering about school years.

My daughter is 14 in October so I guess she will start in year 8 in January? The problem is my son is currently in year 7 here but will not be 12 until august so I think he misses the cut off date? I really don't want him to have to drop down a year because his education is very important to him (he's a complete swot and definately doesn't get it from me!). He is currently in a Grammar school in the uk and is in the top third of his class for all subjects. Do schools in Oz ever let pupils move to the year above if the child is bright enough?

This is quite important as my son's only worry about us moving is that his education won't suffer.

Thanks for any help.

Emma x

Hi Emma

Not sure where you got your info.......but it's not quite right hun.

Your daughter who turns 14 in October will go into year 10 in 2011 - she is the same age as my eldest daughter.

The cut off date for your son is the end of December, not July, which is what I think is confusing you. The cut off date only changed to July 3 or four years ago. So, your son would be going into year 8 in 2011. He a a year older than my second daughter.

Hope that helps chuck.

Love

Rudi

x

PS Here's a really good guide to use for school years

http://internet.faithlutheran.qld.edu.au/admissions/Documents/Guide%20for%20year%20of%20entry%20to%20College.pdf

Thanks Rudi

I am still a bit confused though because at the moment they only a year apart in school, daughter in year 8 and son in year 7. Also when will my youngest start school, he was 4 in February and is due to start in reception class here in September?:confused:

Emma x :v_SPIN:

Me again!

I just looked at the web link and things are a little clearer although it seems like my daughter will skip a year rather than my son have to re-do a year? Ok strike that first comment, I'm still just as confused!! I have worked out form the link that my youngest will start in Prep in January!

Emma x