is it just cold feet

Guest soontobethere

Guest soontobethere

Hi PIO, me my husband and daughter are emigrating to brisbane in less than 4 weeks, i'm seriously thinking of canceling the whole thing iv'e never been so nervous in my whole life, i keep thinking of my age (45) am i too old, i have a job to go to but OH has'nt, im a doing the right thing for my 13yr old daughter, iv'e alredy booked flights and iv'e also contacted cal for accommodation but i can't bring myself to book it with her (sorry cal) you hear of so many people coming back posting bad experiences all this makes me wake up in a cold sweat i can't even decide on which area to live in, i would love to hear some good news from anyone either going or better still there in brisbane even if it's just calling me a stupid bitch pull yourself together and go, thanks for letting me rant.:unsure::arghh::cry:

Maryxx

Hi PIO, me my husband and daughter are emigrating to brisbane in less than 4 weeks, i'm seriously thinking of canceling the whole thing iv'e never been so nervous in my whole life, i keep thinking of my age (45) am i too old, i have a job to go to but OH has'nt, im a doing the right thing for my 13yr old daughter, iv'e alredy booked flights and iv'e also contacted cal for accommodation but i can't bring myself to book it with her (sorry cal) you hear of so many people coming back posting bad experiences all this makes me wake up in a cold sweat i can't even decide on which area to live in, i would love to hear some good news from anyone either going or better still there in brisbane even if it's just calling me a stupid bitch pull yourself together and go, thanks for letting me rant.:unsure::arghh::cry:

Maryxx

Im 48 in august! and still not there yet,but i am going,and no job to go to either,loads and loads feel the same as you,lifes an adventure,and if you think your doing right by your daughter then what more motivation will you need?you'l be fine!

Loads of people go over 100% certain they will love it and they dont!,loads are dubious and they end up loving it!,nerves/belief are no indicator on if it will work or not mary.

Some are coming back because of lack of work,many more stay than come back,you have a head start(a job),you'l be fine!

Good luck,look forward to you posting from australia,all the best mary

Hi PIO, me my husband and daughter are emigrating to brisbane in less than 4 weeks, i'm seriously thinking of canceling the whole thing iv'e never been so nervous in my whole life, i keep thinking of my age (45) am i too old, i have a job to go to but OH has'nt, im a doing the right thing for my 13yr old daughter, iv'e alredy booked flights and iv'e also contacted cal for accommodation but i can't bring myself to book it with her (sorry cal) you hear of so many people coming back posting bad experiences all this makes me wake up in a cold sweat i can't even decide on which area to live in, i would love to hear some good news from anyone either going or better still there in brisbane even if it's just calling me a stupid bitch pull yourself together and go, thanks for letting me rant

Maryxx

I'm sure this is normal - it's a huge event in anyone's life to move house.

Couple that with moving jobs, and country, and you've a recipe for large scale stress:yes:

Try and remind yourself of the reasons that you've come to this point in your lives - why you decided that Australia was the place for your family and yourself.

There are indeed many cautionary tales on here, but that's probably because the 80% of Brits who migrate and make a success of their journey don't always come online to tell everyone about it.:idea:

Think about the nice weather, a nice environment, the adventure, making new friends, trying new experiences...plus you are with the people who matter most to you in the whole wide world, so you're experiencing it together.

Try to be rational about it - What's the worse that can happen?

All the very best

Guest soontobethere

Hi guys, thanks for you coments, i know it's only cold feet and i know the negative post are there to keep our feet firmly on the ground but as you say it's a massive step that me and mine plus you and yours are making, i keep trying to remember why we started this process all those months back and i just get lost in all the uncertainty and fear reading replys like your help greatly again thanks.

Maryxx

Hi Mary

Can totally see where you're coming from but I reckon even if you were 100% absolutely sure you were doing the right thing, you were surely still be having wobbles! It is the other side of the world after all. :wacko:

We're doing it too - at the end of June - and neither of us have jobs lined up. We are also the wrong side of 40 .... but you only live once! You go girl - maybe we'll meet you there?

Good luck :cute:

Hi PIO, me my husband and daughter are emigrating to brisbane in less than 4 weeks, i'm seriously thinking of canceling the whole thing iv'e never been so nervous in my whole life, i keep thinking of my age (45) am i too old, i have a job to go to but OH has'nt, im a doing the right thing for my 13yr old daughter, iv'e alredy booked flights and iv'e also contacted cal for accommodation but i can't bring myself to book it with her (sorry cal) you hear of so many people coming back posting bad experiences all this makes me wake up in a cold sweat i can't even decide on which area to live in, i would love to hear some good news from anyone either going or better still there in brisbane even if it's just calling me a stupid bitch pull yourself together and go, thanks for letting me rant.:unsure::arghh:

Maryxx

I totally know how you feel Mary.

I've just got back from rehoming my two much loved, but eldery cats, I'm a total mess! My daughters have given up their pets too, the whole move is costing us an absolute fortune, we can't sell our cars for love nor money and we are supposed to be flying to Melbourne on Tuesday!

I've just got to cling on to the thought that it will all be worth it in the end, but it is hard to see it at the moment.

For me, I know if we don't do it, we will regret not giving it a go.

I wish you all the best.

Victoria x:hug:

Hiya Guys

I am so sorry i didnt know know you were having wobbles,, i didnt want to pester you and come across all pushy after our e-mails so was waiting until someone asked for same dates and was then going to get in touch. Now i feel awful.

Please ring or e-mail me for a chat,,, getting wobbles is pretty common but if you think i can reasurre you in any way please get in touch, or PM me your landline number and i will call you.

Keep smiling and if theres anything i can do, you know where i am

Cal x

After living in Melbourne for 22 years now i would say give it a go. It is a totally differant experience for everyone. Your home town does not dissapear beleive me, when ever i get homesick i just book a flight and off i go, yes it expensive, but you can never change where you are from. So when you start to get really nervous just remember, you may love it and if you dont home is always there. Victoiria P, i have a 11 year old daughter, if you want to have a chat when you arrive send me a message.

Guest Gilby78

If you are nervous about getting work in Queensland or need something as a back up while you look for something else, it is pretty easy to get a job working in a pub with an RSA card. And you can do the course online in the UK before you leave. I did this after I left school and it really helped me through a dry spell of (real) work:

Guest Skerly

Stop being a stupid bitch pull yourself together and go!!! :tongue:

*Disclaimer to any who didn't read original post properly;

even if it's just calling me a stupid bitch pull yourself together and go

Seriously, just do it, Australia is a fantastic country, and Brisbane is a great place to live, people are really laid back and when you're sitting on your back deck listening to the Kookaburras screaming, it's a balmy 29 degrees at 9pm, you're drinking a cold beer (stick some cheesy Aussie music on in the background like 'Beds are Burning' by Midnight Oil - aka the stuff you watched on Top of the Pops in the 80's and thought you'd never get to Oz in your lifetime), you'll think "Bloomin' heck, fair dinkum, why didn't I do this years ago?!! You'll be thinking of all the people back 'home' who'd give their right arm to be in your position...

Life is short, you've only got one and it's not a test run, once you get here you'll feel more confident, making the first move is the hardest and remember, you can always go back home if you want - it's only 24 hours on a plane...

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi PIO, me my husband and daughter are emigrating to brisbane in less than 4 weeks, i'm seriously thinking of canceling the whole thing iv'e never been so nervous in my whole life, i keep thinking of my age (45) am i too old, i have a job to go to but OH has'nt, im a doing the right thing for my 13yr old daughter, iv'e alredy booked flights and iv'e also contacted cal for accommodation but i can't bring myself to book it with her (sorry cal) you hear of so many people coming back posting bad experiences all this makes me wake up in a cold sweat i can't even decide on which area to live in, i would love to hear some good news from anyone either going or better still there in brisbane even if it's just calling me a stupid bitch pull yourself together and go, thanks for letting me rant.:cry:

Maryxx

Hi Mary

Firstly a BIG HUG:hug:. Everyone and I mean everyone goes through the same emotions to what you are going through now. We sold our house and I was so close to pulling out and cancelling everything. Talk about anxiety attacks, I never ever felt so nervous in all my life. Now we are here all I can think is why on earth didn't we do it sooner. When we arrived in Melbourne we knew no one and it was very difficult knowing what to do, where to live etc, thankfully you have been in touch with Cal, even if you don't book your accommodation with her she will be there as a shoulder to lean on and a friendly face when you arrive. I really wish we would have had this as it does help take the pressure off you.

Remember you only live once and if you don't go through with it you may live a life of regrets .

Big Hugs and please remember you are NOT alone.

Hugs

Kate:wubclub:

Hi

We have been in Brisbane since January and also came with a 13 year old. I think out of the three of us (OH 48yrs, me 38yrs and Dan 13) I have found it the hardest - not home sick but miss people from home. However I am glad I made the move and Dan - although people say teens are difficult yrs - loves it, has settled no problem and has not missed home at all.

Lisa x

Guest Bettyboop

Hi there I hope I can offer you some reassurances!! what you are feeling is totally normal! I cannot tell you how many times I changed my mind leading upto my leaving!! I found myself driving around my little town thinking 'its not so bad here!! why do I want to leave!!' and when the day arrived for me to get on that plane all day I was dreading it!! didnt want to say good bye to my mum and dad, the kids were devastated!! however, me and my family have been here 6 months now and I am so glad we came. It hasnt always been easy and I am sure it will not always be easy in the future, I still could not say 100% for certain where I will be living 10 years from now but for the moment I am enjoying living a great life in Brisbane. Our monday to friday life is the same routine but in a different country, still school runs, rubbish to put out, cleaning, washing and ironing etc however our weekends are amazing!! we have so much fun going to different beaches, using the public bbq's or just staying in our rental using the pool. A very simple life, but very fulfilling. Yes I do get homesick, I do miss family so much and miss small things that I never imagined I would miss but the pull of life in Australia is stronger than my desire to go back to the UK - at the moment anyway!!!! I have learned to accept that my feelings change often and to just go with it!!! it really is a rollercoaster of emotions and some days I miss family so much its overwhelming but I just give in to it and eventually it passes and then other days I see how much my children are thriving here and couldnt imagine raising them anywhere else!! anyway, sorry to go on!! good luck with your move, where abouts in Brisbane are you headed?

Angie xx

Guest gizzmo888

Maryxx

Hi

I know exactly how you feel - we are emigrating (hubby and 2 sons 5 and 8) to Brisbane in 2 weeks. Furniture already gone and living in a very empty echoing house.

We have no jobs, no house but great friends already in Brisbane who we are staying with and helping us find our feet. Our house in the UK has not sold but still going.

Why ...because it's the best opportunity for our kids and start a great new adventure, make new friends and be in a better environment . Part of me is nervous which you could expect movingto the other side of the world but hey I've got my hubby and gorgeous sons and know its not going to be easy but willing to give it a good go!.

Don't get me wrong both of us have had the sleepless nights, stomach churning but deep down its the right thing to do and now we can't wait to go.

Drop me a line when you get to Brisbane and more than happy to offer you any support or news that may help.

Good luck and don't worry it will all work out

Carol

x

Guest soontobethere

Hi PIO, the advise you have given and the reassurance that what we are feeling is the norm as done wonders for memory i am now thinking more clearly of why we started this whole process so thanks very much, apart from springfield lakes and brookwaters i really don't know where else to look if any of you could give me advise on this i would be most greatfull, again thanks for the advise,and cal, i will contact you in the next couple of days PROMISE.

Maryxx

Hi PIO, the advise you have given and the reassurance that what we are feeling is the norm as done wonders for memory i am now thinking more clearly of why we started this whole process so thanks very much, apart from springfield lakes and brookwaters i really don't know where else to look if any of you could give me advise on this i would be most greatfull, again thanks for the advise,and cal, i will contact you in the next couple of days PROMISE.

Maryxx

LOL,, dont worry about me get yourself on the right track first.

You will worry about where to live, its normally, its also nearly impossible to choose an area until you are here and can see them in person. There is no doubt finding an area is one the hardest tasks awaiting you,,, but ,, everyone was the same when they arrived and everyone does find somewhere they like. I will have a chat with you and help you narrow down suburbs to look at once you have arrived and found your feet.

Take care

Cal x

Guest itskaren

Maryxx

After spending 2.5 years now in Melbourne if I had my time over again we would not have come. We had the same apprehensions as yourselves but did not want to call it off due to all the planning and costs in emigrating. My kids love it here but not myself or my husband. I am a nurse and my husband is a business ananlysist. In my opinion jobs are pretty hard to come across.

My husband got made redundant last year and it took him 3 months to get another job. Times are hard that's for sure. Only you can ake that decision. But in my experience we should have stayed in England . sorry I am not much help. Good luck

Hi PIO, me my husband and daughter are emigrating to brisbane in less than 4 weeks, i'm seriously thinking of canceling the whole thing iv'e never been so nervous in my whole life, i keep thinking of my age (45) am i too old, i have a job to go to but OH has'nt, im a doing the right thing for my 13yr old daughter, iv'e alredy booked flights and iv'e also contacted cal for accommodation but i can't bring myself to book it with her (sorry cal) you hear of so many people coming back posting bad experiences all this makes me wake up in a cold sweat i can't even decide on which area to live in, i would love to hear some good news from anyone either going or better still there in brisbane even if it's just calling me a stupid bitch pull yourself together and go, thanks for letting me rant.

Maryxx

Hi Mary,

My husband and I came out to Brisbane with a lot less money that we should have had due to losing thousands on our house sale then again on the poor exchange rate. Not to mention the fortune it cost us on visas, container, flights etc. It was a worry but hey.......Yes, we do have family in Oz but we did not stay with them when we arrived and do not see too much of them as (apart from one son) they all live in Sydney. We stayed in an apartment in the city for 2 weeks and we were lucky enough to see house for rent in Courier on our 2nd day here which we are now living in. We moved here in October last year and have both found jobs we enjoy. We are a lot less stressed here and love the laid back life. We have found the Aussies to be kind and very friendly on the whole and I personally love their sense of humour. I do not miss or not want to go back to UK and we are looking forward to lots of visits from our family. When we told people in UK we were going to live in Australia most people said "What, at your age???" YES at our age. We are both 60 years young and hope we still have lots of miles left on our clocks so we can explore this beautiful country. Life is an adventure from the moment we learn to walk. I have the attitude that what ever I do in life I go in with open heart, arms and mind and see what happens. I do not want to get to my twilight years and sit regretting what I wished I had done. As it is I have had some wonderful adventures and have the memories to prove it and plenty more to come I hope.

Best wishes hon:hug:

Monica xx

Maryxx

Hi there,

Me and my Oh are also wrong side of forty but we have found our feet:D

We live north side of Brisbane.

You are lucky with having a job to come too a lot of peeps don't.

Give it a go lass you will never no unless you give it a bloody good go.

Yes at the mo your probs thinking are we doing the right thing.

Just try and then you will know.

And breathe:D

I wish you all the best.

Where about in Brizzy are you moving too?

brig :wubclub:

Hi guys, thanks for you coments, i know it's only cold feet and i know the negative post are there to keep our feet firmly on the ground but as you say it's a massive step that me and mine plus you and yours are making, i keep trying to remember why we started this process all those months back and i just get lost in all the uncertainty and fear reading replys like your help greatly again thanks.

Maryxx

Cold feet are completely normal and as many posters have said you never know whether it is going to work for you or not. We are one of the ones going back to the UK after 3 years here - for a whole host of reasons that are personal to us and the kind of people we are - one thing is for sure I have no regrets about making the move here - it has been a fabulous experience we have made great friends and enjoyed living in a different climate and meeting people from all over the world. Our kids feel the same - so either way you can't go wrong - if you love it then fantastic if its not for you long term then enjoy the ride and take the experience with you into the future. Good luck.

Maryxx

We're flying to Sydney in less than 3 weeks, and know exactly how you feel!

Hang in there!

Guest Spindy

Hi, We`are just in the process of "trying to get to Oz" I am also nervous and I fully expect if we are lucky like you we will be living there one day. I am 40 this year and I am also thinking am I too old, but my daughters are young only 7 & 9, so the variety of reasons we want to move to Oz are too many too list, but I wish I was flying in 4 weeks!!! So enjoy and keep us posted xx

Guest soontobethere

Hi PIO, i've thanked everyone who took time out to read and reply to my winging post and i can honestly say you've helped me to stop going insane and got me back on track with thinking and planing our adventure, i 'm sorry to hear itskaren coming back to the uk, i don't know wether you've been back since you left but wouldn't it be worth a holiday to make sure your not making a mistake, good luck to you if you do come back.

Maryxx

Archived