Processing ceased

Guest gmac

It does suck, but I do understand the cherry picking. My main issue now I'm actually in the process is the complete lack of communication. We got a reply this morning to our online query about our application saying it our query had already been resolved - No it hasn't!! :arghh: No one has yet to explain why our application is still sat there with no case officer when identical Cat 4 applications lodged up to 6 weeks later have now got case officers. Grrr.

Hi Wobob,

I totally agree, I have applied for a 176 family sponsored visa, occupation HR manager, which boxes me nicely into CAT6.

If HR really is DIAC's business then why is the communication and customer satisfaction so,so poor.

When I applied I expected 6 months, post September 09 it became 12 months and now it has become 18 months to receive a case officer. It seems there is no explanation for this other than "cherry picking".

Cheers,

gmac

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Wobob,

I totally agree, I have applied for a 176 family sponsored visa, occupation HR manager, which boxes me nicely into CAT6.

If HR really is DIAC's business then why is the communication and customer satisfaction so,so poor.

When I applied I expected 6 months, post September 09 it became 12 months and now it has become 18 months to receive a case officer. It seems there is no explanation for this other than "cherry picking".

Cheers,

gmac

Hi, Occupation LR Fitter with SS and i am CAT 5 i lodged 04/11/08 and been waiting almost 18 months for CO

Guest GemandJay

Hi All

I totally agree it is soooo frustrating especially when you can see a light at the end of the tunnel and then someone decides to turn the light out. I was in tears yesterday had enough of not knowing anything and having our life in limbo and not being able to plan anything until we know if Carpenter is or isn't on the new SOL or SMP lists. All I'd like is to know if we really have got to wait until 2012 at the earliest, or if some kind person will turn that light back on at the end of the tunnel, any sooner.

Keep smiling, I'm sure gonna try xx

Hi all,

My name is Tony Mooney of Bridges Relocation. Until the State Migration Plans are released no one will really know what is going on. We are entering new territory or maybe we are about to enter old territory called by a different name ... State Migration Plan.

My belief, and others in the industry share this view, is what ever skill is on the new SMP lists, you will have to wait to get to the head of the queue as before unless you have a job to go to. This will not only slow down your application but if someone comes along with a sponsor (job offer) they will jump you in the queue.

I have been helping clients since 2006 relocate to Australia which includes finding job sponsors amongst other things. It's not easy, there can be no guarantee of a job and it's not for everyone.

My name and business have been mentioned recently on this forum most of the comments were words of caution some were inaccurate, however some of my former clients who are happily living their dream in australia have stood up for me which is very nice. One unhappy posting was from a former client concerned about the time it was taking to hear anything about a job. This coincided with the end of the downturn in Australia, the changes to the system in January and the removal of most skills from the skills list on February 8th 2010. Is it any wonder we could not find him a job under those circumstances. I have since returned his deposit and offered to help him find a job without holding his deposit.

The reason we take a deposit is to reduce the overall cost for our service and to check there is a commitment to move. The recruitment process is not easy but I would like to explain what we do. When we receive sufficient details from a client and before we ask for a deposit, we send their resume to the recruitment team, based in Adelaide. They decide if they want to accept the client on the basis they can place the person in a suitable job. Jobs come in two ways, either as a specific request from a company to find a suitable candidate. Initialy the recruiters will place local people as required by DIAC. If there are no suitable local people the UK person will be offered to the employer. If all is good a job offer is made by the employer.

The second way is the recruiting team will approach companies who they believe will be interested in the UK skilled person. If this is sucessful a job offer will follow. Does it work... yes it does ... why?because Bridges will package and present the client in such a way that the Australian employer will understand what the person can offer and the recruiters act as a third party to field any questions and present the migrant in the best light. We can set up skype or telephone interviews and then proceed to job offer; then the visa process can start. Usually we manage to get a permanent visa such as the RSMS. In some cases the RSMS is not suitable so the 457 visa is used. The visa process from submission has recently taken about 6 to 8 weeks.

We do charge a fee for this but let's put this fee in context. Let's assume you get a visa in 3 to 4 years time (remember currently no visa's without jobs will be looked at until 2012) and you turn up in the city of choice looking for a job. How long will it be before you get a job. What will this cost you how can you budget? Paying the Bridges fee will guarantee you a job before you move and you will know where to live before you arrive in Australia.

I hope this popsting will help some of you to acheive your dreams; I am always happy to discuss options. In South Australia currently there is a mass shortage of skilled people. We are looking for a large range of skills particularly in the automotive trade such as panel beaters, mechanics, spray painters.

Finally can I discuss Perth. Anyone wishing to find sponsorship in Perth is in for a hard time. The mines have reopened and are attracting people from all over Australia. Truck driving in the mines pays $120,000 a year, so everyone is piling into WA looking for mine work. This is resulting in hundreds of Australians with a variety of skills available for work outside of the mine work. Rental costs are rocketing and sponsorship chances are remote.

I hope I have not gone on for too long, I haven't even touched on 'A' Licenses for electricians and gas fitters/plumbers which is becoming a disaster waiting to happen... maybe another time.

The End.....

We're cat 5 non-CSL and our agent has said that it's unlikely that we will be looked at before July 2010!

HOWEVER...

David Wilden minister-counsellor for immigration of The Australian High commission in London has advised that those visas with state sponsorship will now be given higher priority and proceeded it date order. Whilst not committing himself to a time frame I read he has stated that it will be sooner than the 3 / 4 years previously stated. (DIAC Break Silence Over Sept Changes | Skilled Visas Australia (Dublin)). Thanks to those from PIO who were there!! :biggrin:

We've asked our agent to confirm these rumours but not heard anything back yet.

Guest VickyMel
Paying the Bridges fee will guarantee you a job before you move and you will know where to live before you arrive in Australia.

Hi Tony - I'm a bit surprised you guarantee anyone who takes up your services a job - unless you cherry pick clients to take on. Or might the position not be in the clients area of experience?

My belief, and others in the industry share this view, is what ever skill is on the new SMP lists, you will have to wait to get to the head of the queue as before unless you have a job to go to. This will not only slow down your application but if someone comes along with a sponsor (job offer) they will jump you in the queue.

I would be very interested in comments from agents on this one whether that is the impression they are also getting. I can see why this might be a potential route - but knowing how hard it is to get employment without the Visa, imagine that his might not be the case - that was the whole point of SS - if you had the job offer surely you could go 457 or 121?

VickyMel

We're cat 5 non-CSL and our agent has said that it's unlikely that we will be looked at before July 2010!

HOWEVER...

David Wilden minister-counsellor for immigration of The Australian High commission in London has advised that those visas with state sponsorship will now be given higher priority and proceeded it date order. Whilst not committing himself to a time frame I read he has stated that it will be sooner than the 3 / 4 years previously stated. (DIAC Break Silence Over Sept Changes | Skilled Visas Australia (Dublin)). Thanks to those from PIO who were there!! :biggrin:

That article was published in December when Gill and several other PIO Members met with David Wilden. At the time he referred to a number of CAT 5 applications who already at that time had their SS and judging by recent approvals had front loaded their meds and pc's

Don't get your hopes up that it in anyway means they are moving onto any other CAT 5's yet as there is no evidence of this from what I read on here!

I would be very interested in comments from agents on this one whether that is the impression they are also getting. I can see why this might be a potential route - but knowing how hard it is to get employment without the Visa, imagine that his might not be the case - that was the whole point of SS - if you had the job offer surely you could go 457 or 121?

VickyMel

I agree with you VickyMel, It doesn't make sense that being on the SMP would require a job offer. There are other visas which take care of those situations.

That article was published in December when Gill and several other PIO Members met with David Wilden. At the time he referred to a number of CAT 5 applications who already at that time had their SS and judging by recent approvals had front loaded their meds and pc's

Don't get your hopes up that it in anyway means they are moving onto any other CAT 5's yet as there is no evidence of this from what I read on here!

This was also all before the Feb '10 changes to the processing priorities, and introduction of SMP. If you are CAT5 and dont qualify for the SMP when it is released, then you really should plan on a 2-3 year wait.

Guest Wannabeoz
Australia's migration policy is intended to supply the country with the skills of which there's a shortage. If there are restrictions imposed in the numbers then "cherry picking" those who are most in demand is a sensible way of running an immigration programme.

It just sucks for would-be migrants involved.

The other thing that people don't seem to bear in mind is that just putting in an application doesn't guarantee you a place. That might not be fair, but most of us here aren't Australian citizens, and thus don't have a right of residence in that country.

Cherry picking would be fine if a state hadn't said they wanted you, you hadn't passed the points test, and you hadn't handed $2,500 to the oz government! How about they take a small amount of money at the start of the process, and you pay the balance if you get your visa? Or how about they don't let people apply knowing that the people before them had taken a few months to get a visa, and then move the goal posts once they had taken your money and keep you queuing indefinitely! Why didn't they just shift the points pass mark, then people wouldn't have wasted their money in the first place? I figured I was eligible to get a visa, hence I applied. If I had known I might not be, but maybe I would be if the wind changes, I wouldn't have bothered.

Guest VickyMel

HOWEVER...

As Charmed and MatJones have said that is a very old quote and mainly related to people with SS when the changes of the 23rd Sept came in overnight that had already been asked by their COs to get Meds and PCCs done.

On the Cat 5 176 thread we have not seen or heard of anyone with a Cat 5 application who has lodged a Visa since August 2009 get a CO or Visa.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/70633-176-ss-non-csl-where-you-now.html

This was also all before the Feb '10 changes to the processing priorities, and introduction of SMP. If you are CAT5 and dont qualify for the SMP when it is released, then you really should plan on a 2-3 year wait.

Ohhhhh the SMP - I have such hopes and nightmares about who will be on it!

Cherry picking would be fine if a state hadn't said they wanted you, you hadn't passed the points test, and you hadn't handed $2,500 to the oz government! How about they take a small amount of money at the start of the process, and you pay the balance if you get your visa? Or how about they don't let people apply knowing that the people before them had taken a few months to get a visa, and then move the goal posts once they had taken your money and keep you queuing indefinitely! Why didn't they just shift the points pass mark, then people wouldn't have wasted their money in the first place? I figured I was eligible to get a visa, hence I applied. If I had known I might not be, but maybe I would be if the wind changes, I wouldn't have bothered.

Totally agree that they should only ask for a token payment initially until they start processing your application. With all the continual changes the visa you apply for looks as if it will be processed in 6 months. Then its all change and its suddenly potentially 3 years - life & plans change in that time.

Its a lot of money to risk and you might have selected different options had you known.

VickyMel

Hi Tony - I'm a bit surprised you guarantee anyone who takes up your services a job - unless you cherry pick clients to take on. Or might the position not be in the clients area of experience?

VickyMel

Okay let me be more specific. There can never be a guarantee of a job. However I do not charge a full fee until we secure a job, so if you pay my full fee I guarantee you will have a job. As for cherry picking; there are some skills we do not help such as IT people due to the nature of the industry. We tend not to help medical professionals as I don't feel we can add value. We have recently stopped taking electricians because of the cost of getting gap training for the 'A' license, but there are some places where we can help.

At the moment if I can find a panel beater who wants to go to Adelaide I will guarantee an interview within a week or I will donate £20 to charity.

As for the SMP, perhaps I was not clear but having a job offer will speed up the process.

I am not a migration agent I am a relocation agent. My service is not suitable for everyone, for example I will not take on a client who is unable to move with 2 weeks of getting their visa. If you are already in the system using a UK based migration agent I discount my fees.

Please don't confuse employer sponsorship with the skilled migration process. I hope this reply helps but I am sure you will let me know if it does not.... Mooney33

Guest VickyMel

Thanks for the clarification Tony

It's potentially a lot more viable if you only have to pay a smaller fee up front unless a position is guaranteed and the experience of knowing what people will be of interest whether they have a visa or not and which won't I imagine benefits both sides as well. I have since seen a couple of posts in PiO from people saying how your service really helped them (I may have to bite my tounge and come smiling sweetly in your direction :biggrin: ) .

I hope you find your panel beater - we could all do with a break on here.

The thoght of actually coming to a known job would be a big bonus.

VickyMel

PS - I have a hammer if they would take me on as a panel beater :wink: I'm pretty much up for anything at the moment it it will get us there

another thing.... if you need vetassess to submit your visa then using my service will almost certainly mean you can avoid using vetassess in which case most of my fee is covered. Also if you go through the sponsoship route we can help you recover some of the expenses incurred.

Guest VickyMel
with regard to the deposit I only take it to ensure the client really do want to go. The process we go through is very time consuming. I am prepared to hold off taking the deposit if the circumstances warrant it.

I suppose it is one of the issues with offering a service - you will put in a lot of time and effort on your side of things. Plus there is the knowledge and contacts... there is value to those things. If you are doing something as a profession you have to get paid for the time and expertise you put in.

In the past I have written a few large funding proposals for free (which can take days/weeks) to assist a couple of charities I am fond of. Others have asked me to do similar for them (as I am often successful as these things go) yet don't want to pay even a token payment for my time.

Vicky

Guest leebaker3
there are some skills we do not help such as IT people due to the nature of the industry.

Can I ask why you don't do IT?

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Tony

Why are you using this thread, which is not even about the agents who find jobs for people, to promote your services, please?

Also, why are you making such a fuss about it when Jamie Smith of Hire-A-Migrant very rarely even talks about what he is able to do, please? Are times hard for you at the moment or something?

I note that you have said that you can get people out of going through the Vetassess process. How can you do that, please, when they may not want an RSMS visa offered by an employer in the Backofbeyondup but they do insist on PR in Oz from Day One?

Do you spell out to them - before you take a dime of their money - that if they want to get out of Vetassess then the chances are overwhelmingly high that you will only be able to secure a temporary subclass 457 visa for the person, with all the risks, uncertainty and school fees that that might entail?

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

I have read on another forum that DIAC made a new announcement recently. George Lombard is credited with having repeated the announcement publicly somewhere, but I am not sure whereabouts.

The announcement is as follows:

DIAC TRANSFORMATION AND THE GENERAL SKILLED MIGRATION PROGRAM

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship is undergoing a wide-ranging transformation program to position itself as a high performing immigration and citizenship organisation, equipped to compete in global markets and attract the best migrants and key skills required for Australia. The transformation process will enable the department to deliver globally consistent services to our clients.

The General Skilled Migration (GSM) program is an active participant in the transformation process and is currently implementing planned changes to enable a consistent management of both the Adelaide and Brisbane GSM sites. To align with other business areas, a restructure of the two GSM sites into a total case management model, is being implemented. This will provide improved client service delivery through the provision of a direct email channel between clients and their case officers. The effective date for the restructure in Adelaide is Monday 3 May 2010. Further information and correct contact channels will be provided shortly.

The GSM program is now aligned to Mr Greg Kelly, Global Manager, Skilled and Family Visas. Both the Adelaide and Brisbane GSM sites are now managed by the Acting Director - Program Delivery, GSM, Ms Elizabeth Kerrish. Mr David Edwards has recently accepted the position of Territory Director, in the department's Darwin Office.

Within the 2009-10 GSM program, the department continues to give priority processing to applicants who have an occupation on the Critical Skills List including those sponsored by state and territory governments. In line with these priority processing arrangements, the department is actively processing applications on hand and will provide information to applicants as their application progresses.

The processing areas are focusing on the integrity of the GSM caseload as well as applications that may be more complex in nature. The focus on integrity is an important measure to ensure visa program outcomes are delivered as intended by the Migration Act 1958 and in accordance with government policy. Furthermore, the reallocation of resources to complex applications provides the department an opportunity to potentially reduce processing timeframes for affected applicants. This temporary shift in focus may reduce the number of applications finalised in the near future and may have an impact on current processing timeframes. You may notice less applications being finalised in the very quick processing timeframes you have become accustomed to seeing, in particular where Decision Ready Checklists are utilised.

The department remains committed to client service standards and the delivery of service excellence to our clients.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi again, all

I did not add my comments above because the formatting went wonky when I tried and I hate that!

It does seem to me that DIAC have pre-empted and have answered many of the questions raised in this thread, though.

Cheers

Gill

Hi again, all

I did not add my comments above because the formatting went wonky when I tried and I hate that!

It does seem to me that DIAC have pre-empted and have answered many of the questions raised in this thread, though.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

Just read this new release. I understand that they are undergoing some sort of restructure at DIAC, but it reads rather contradictory. They are saying that they want to deal with cases quicker, yet they are saying that there will be further delays in processing. Am I the only one who does not fathom this??

Thank you for your comments in advance

Marianne (Blue Cat Collectables):wideeyed:

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

Just read this new release. I understand that they are undergoing some sort of restructure at DIAC, but it reads rather contradictory. They are saying that they want to deal with cases quicker, yet they are saying that there will be further delays in processing. Am I the only one who does not fathom this??

Thank you for your comments in advance

Marianne (Blue Cat Collectables):wideeyed:

Hi Marianne

I suppose that they are saying that the pain of a temporary slow-down now will pay dividends in terms of faster processing times in the end.

Whether or not their claim is likely to be accurate depends on how well - or whether - their new system works, I suspect.

However if DIAC have been hearing the global complaints which have been happening - mainly directed at themselves - perhaps they are (finally) responding to those criticisms?

Cheers

Gill

Archived