309 visa, after the wedding what happens next?

Guest beh1972

Guest beh1972

My partner is already in Oz on the temp 309 prospective marraige visa, and we will have our wedding in less than a month.

In July that 309 visa is going to expire, so I presume we have more paper work, evidence to submit and fees to pay to move onto the PR stage. Simple basic information seems impossible to find in the DIAC website.

The question we cant find an answer to is - after the wedding what on Earth do we do next?

Do DIAC contact us and say we need to send in this? I sure cant find any instructions on DIAC's website. The best they say is when you apply for a 309 visa you are also applying for the 100 at the same time - or something like that.

Thanks

My partner is already in Oz on the temp 309 prospective marraige visa, and we will have our wedding in less than a month.

In July that 309 visa is going to expire, so I presume we have more paper work, evidence to submit and fees to pay to move onto the PR stage. Simple basic information seems impossible to find in the DIAC website.

The question we cant find an answer to is - after the wedding what on Earth do we do next?

Do DIAC contact us and say we need to send in this? I sure cant find any instructions on DIAC's website. The best they say is when you apply for a 309 visa you are also applying for the 100 at the same time - or something like that.

Thanks

As soon as you're married, you lodge an 820/801 Partner visa application and pay the appropriate VAC - I doubt if DIAC will contact you about applying for it. If you wait until after your PMV expires to apply, the Partner visa will cost $215 (at current rates) more than if you apply while the PMV is still valid.

When your Partner visa is granted, it will be temporary/provisional for around 2 years from the date you applied and then becomes permanent (i.e. you'll have PR) if the relationship is still intact at that time. DIAC should contact you before the 2 year temporary part ends with some more paperwork relating to the current status of your relationship but no there are no more fees to pay because you apply for the permanent and temporary visa at the same time.

After you get married, you need to lodge an application for the partner visa - 820/801 I think it is. It uses the same forms as the PMV as far as I know. (40SP and 47SP)

I don't believe DIAC will contact you about this, you need to apply yourselves before the 300 PMV expires.

It is once you are on the partner visa that it you go on to the 2 stage process of a temporary visa for 2 years (the 820) and a PR visa (801) if you're still in the same relationship at that time. That is the transition that DIAC will write to you about.

The 309 is the offshore version of the temporary 2 year visa, so I think that's where you've got confused. When you apply for the PMV, you are not applying for the later visas automatically.

Good luck!

Guest Demi60

Hi beh1972,

Go to the nearest immigration office and they will give you the forms 40SP and 47SP or you could download them off the DIAC internet site. You need to submit a statement one from you and one from your hubby to be about your relationship, get Form 888 completed as well two australian witnesses to say that your relationship is genuine, and anything such as photos or cards etc from relatives or friends acknowledging your relationship, certified copies of all bio data from both your passports and don't forget to include marriage certificate then submit with fee.

Whoever is not an australian citizen, I'm presuming one of you is an australian, then the one of who isn't australian will need to get a bridging visa add another $90.00 on top of your visa fee, this may or may not be necessary. Hope all this helps, have a lovely wedding, enjoy your day.

Regards,

Demi x

• 2 months later...

Thanks for that Demi, it's me who is Scottish and my oh (beh1972) is Australian, we've almost completed the forms, but will have to get the evidence collated and hopefully early next week, we'll be able to take it to the DIAC office here in Canberra for processing, which leaves a month left on my PMV, so hopefully won't need a bridging visa......

I'm also a little confused, when we picked up the 40SP and 47SP from the DIAC office in Canberra, they told us we'd only have to submit a certified copy of our marriage certificate, but reading the form and forums here, looks like we actually have to submit some of the evidence previously submitted for my PMV and include more evidence - is this true? Also, the DIAC office told me my medicals would still be valid and won't have to get new ones done, again is this correct??

Can someone help??

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived