Guest 1ucasbe11a

457 - Average timescales?

Guest 1ucasbe11a

Hi All,

This is my very first post on here so I hope I get everything right.

I applied via an agent for our 457 on 25th March 2010 and, as yet, have not been allocated a case office (just had confirmation that our docs were received). My agent seemed to think that we would have heard something quite quickly as our Employer already has the first part of the Nomination Process completed. We submitted the Nomination and Visa Application together and online.

Oh, and we are from the UK, so a low risk country.

Can anyone advise how long a 457 'normally' takes?

Regards

Gemma

Guest 1ucasbe11a

Our online tracking thingy says:

26/03/2010 Application received - processing commenced Message

26/03/2010 Application fee received Message

Does this mean we have a case-office or that they are just processing our application?

Our 457 went in yesterday and the migration agent is forecasting a couple of weeks but could be up to 4 weeks so I will let you know when we hear anything!

How is the application tracked on line? Can we do this if its being handled by an agent?

Jessie123

Guest WICnurse

Hi folks, We are about to fly out on a 457. Applied Mid November and was granted January 10th ish. I think there was a delay over Christmas but at the time the wait was about 6-8 weeks. I think it can be pot luck though sometimes. We didn't use an agent and could track on the immi.gov.au site. I did find waiting for it to be updated after sending details and forms only added to the frustration.In total it has taken only 6 months from recieving a job offer to flying out, so not too bad.

Hi all, i'm currently speaking to a company who are keen to employ me and sponsor me. They are currently gathering information at thier end to get me over there. i have suggested that the 457 visa is probably the quickest way. I have a couple of questions and i feel this might be the best place for jargon busting advice, so here we go:

They are proving thier eligability to employ migrant workers now, how long does this take?

i will then be nominated for the job, is this the point where a job offer is made or the point it is accepted?

then the visa application i put in, i assume I put this in and reading the post above along with the nomination?

Who normally pays for what?

Sorry for all the questions, any help is greatly appreciated

Hi All,

This is my very first post on here so I hope I get everything right.

I applied via an agent for our 457 on 25th March 2010 and, as yet, have not been allocated a case office (just had confirmation that our docs were received). My agent seemed to think that we would have heard something quite quickly as our Employer already has the first part of the Nomination Process completed. We submitted the Nomination and Visa Application together and online.

Oh, and we are from the UK, so a low risk country.

Can anyone advise how long a 457 'normally' takes?

Regards

Gemma

Hi Gemma,

Our application was lodged through a immigration lawyer working for my Husbands company. The company sponsorship was approved within 24 hours, but I think this happened so quickly because they sponsor people frequently.

Our visas were granted 7 working days later! :biggrin: Result!

Flying to Melbourne in 13 days, so running around like mad people now, trying to get everything done, including selling two cars!

Hope your visas come through quickly too.

Victoria

CPV 143 applied June 2017

870 Sponsorship applied 29 April - Rejected 6 Sept  - 2nd 870 Sponsorship applied 20 Sept - Approved 27 Sept

870 (5 year) applied 29 Sept - medical requested 7 Oct - medical done 14 Oct

Evidence of health insurance and 2nd VAC requested / paid - 22 Oct

870 5 year visa - Approved 28 Oct 2019 😀

My OH has been told by her employer (Sir Charles Gairdner / WA Health Board) that the visa process will begin in July and will be ready for her starting on 1st Sept.

(Fingers crossed)

“Self-conceit may lead to self destruction"

Hello,

A fairly recent 457 approval. I'm already on a 457 so it's effectively a "renewal" even though it's a new application.

27/01/2010 - lodged

16/02/2010 - granted

The sponsorship and nomination were already in place.

HTH,

Mike

ENS 121 submitted 22/04/2010, approved 04/10/2010.

Guest expatbrat

Looks like things might have sped up a bit but I applied Jan 14 2008, had mine granted May 14 2008. So it took AGES!!!! I was pretty worried.

Turned out I needed an x-ray. So get your chest x-ray done and submit it and it may speed the application somewhat.

My country of origin was UK. (submitted sponsorship on same date as application)

Guest Dave Payne

Hi Gemma,

Unfortunately it is the how long is a piece of string thing.

I've had three of them. All were done within 8 weeks start to finish.

It speeds up when you get a case officer.

Delays can be caused by:

1. Issues with the employers nomination;

2. Medical issues: pregnancy, diabetes, high blood pressure or anything they can think of that might turn a buck in fees.

3. Character issues: even the slightest arrest or anything needs a statutory declaration saying you are a changed person.

4. Almost anything else.

Please excuse my cynicism. I have had all the above.

All depends on the processing priority at DIAC HQ. seems to change by the week. One day ENS is the big thing. The next it is 457.

Being from the UK should shorten the application time.

You should know that on a 457:

1. You can purchase a property but you need permission to do so. please take legal advice if you intend doing this.

2. You are eligible for what is called a Reciprocal Medicare card. This will help deal with any visits to the Doctor and Pharmacy costs.

3. You do not pay the medicare levy since you cannot access it.

On costs:

The employer must pay the visa and nomination costs.

You normally pay the medical and character reference costs; and if you have a nice employer he will re-reimburse these on arrival. Keep the receipts. Your relocation costs are an exempt payment under the Fringe Benefits Tax regulations - chapter 20 ATO publication: Fringe Benefits Tax: a guide for employers.

Under the 1994 immigration regulations as amended, your employer must pay for an economy flight from wherever you are in Australia to your home country (UK I guess) should you decide to return for any reason that results in condition 8107, ie:

(3) If the visa is a Subclass 457 (Business (Long Stay)) visa …

(b) if the holder ceases employment – the period during which the holder ceases

employment must not exceed 28 consecutive days

Please note I am not a Migration Agent or Chartered accountant: the above is my knowledge from having done it.

However, I on a mission to reinforce:

Do not assume that a 457 will lead to PR. Seek PR as a priority and do not sell your UK possessions until you have a PR visa in your passport; especially if you have kids. The risk of getting fired/retrenched is dropping with increased economic activity here, but if this happens you have 28 days to get out of OZ (extendable to 3 months with good behaviour).

Anything else anyone needs to know on 457's, post away. I will go off air on 23rd April when we return to the UK. I will try and be objective not subjective.

Dave

Agree completely with Dave,

457s are not the greatest visa to be on - no security whatsoever.

Mike

ENS 121 submitted 22/04/2010, approved 04/10/2010.

Hi

I've been waiting 2months and getting worried as I've heard nothing for my 457. I'm already here in Perth and company organised migration agent etc. She seems useless, doesn't send forms off immediately and I can't get in touch with her. My boss is very annoyed with them as well as he's desperate for me to start.

She hasn't mentioned any case officer or anything, she just says it's in process and hopefully it will come soon. I wish I could contact the immigration people directly and find out exactly why it's taking so long.

Grrrrrr

Lou