Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest bearamus

moving interstate and taking cars

Recommended Posts

Guest bearamus


We are moving in a couple of weeks from Adelaide to Melbourne, taking our cars which are registered in South Australia. Does anyone know what we have to do to register then in VIC, do they have to do a roadworthy test, is there a time limit? There current regos expire in May for one and July for the other. Also any idea of the costs?


We also need to transfer our SA licence. I looked on the website and it said to call and make an appontment but is it in the city or are there offices further out?- we are going to be living in Mooroolbark.


Thank you.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest bearamus

Just bumping this up to see if anyone can help out as I posted it earlier today and it's slipped off the front page!. Might be someone on PIO tonight who knows the answers.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there!


I might be able to help...


So here goes.


Basically, VicRoads and have a credit card available (Visa or MasterCard) and the following info:


- VIN and engine number of your vehicle

- number plates

- current license number


So then they can arrange an appointment for you at a customer service centre. Here is a link to VicRoads' page containing contact details and addresses/locations of their centres:


Office locations & opening hours : VicRoads


You can drive for 3 months on your interstate license in Victoria, providing you meet the requirements outlined here: Interstate & New Zealand drivers licences : VicRoads


As for your roadworthiness? I would imagine that your vehicle/s should need to be assessed and issued with a Certificate of Roadworthiness since technically it has been transferred... and every state of course as you will know has different legal requirements for vehicles.


However. Please, don't quote me on that one. It may be that because you're transferring the car interstate you don't need one or you have to get something else?


Certificate of Roadworthiness : VicRoads


That tells you about the Certification.


In order to get a definitive answer, I would get in touch with them about that.

"Is that Luke... as in Luke Skywalker?" | Brisbane, Australia since August 2010 :cool:

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this