moving interstate and taking cars

Guest bearamus

Guest bearamus

Hi

We are moving in a couple of weeks from Adelaide to Melbourne, taking our cars which are registered in South Australia. Does anyone know what we have to do to register then in VIC, do they have to do a roadworthy test, is there a time limit? There current regos expire in May for one and July for the other. Also any idea of the costs?

We also need to transfer our SA licence. I looked on the website and it said to call and make an appontment but is it in the city or are there offices further out?- we are going to be living in Mooroolbark.

Thank you.

Guest bearamus

Just bumping this up to see if anyone can help out as I posted it earlier today and it's slipped off the front page!. Might be someone on PIO tonight who knows the answers.

Hi there!

I might be able to help...

So here goes.

Basically, VicRoads and have a credit card available (Visa or MasterCard) and the following info:

- VIN and engine number of your vehicle

- number plates

- current license number

So then they can arrange an appointment for you at a customer service centre. Here is a link to VicRoads' page containing contact details and addresses/locations of their centres:

Office locations & opening hours : VicRoads

You can drive for 3 months on your interstate license in Victoria, providing you meet the requirements outlined here: Interstate & New Zealand drivers licences : VicRoads

As for your roadworthiness? I would imagine that your vehicle/s should need to be assessed and issued with a Certificate of Roadworthiness since technically it has been transferred... and every state of course as you will know has different legal requirements for vehicles.

However. Please, don't quote me on that one. It may be that because you're transferring the car interstate you don't need one or you have to get something else?

Certificate of Roadworthiness : VicRoads

That tells you about the Certification.

In order to get a definitive answer, I would get in touch with them about that.

Archived