Fern Tree Gully area

Mhags

What about Berwick & areas maybe?

That all housing up to 400k in and around Berwick

Real Estate & Property For SaleÂ*between $0 and $400,000Â*in Berwick, VIC 3806 (Page 1) - realestate.com.au

Very nice area, and only 15/20 kms to Dandenong.

Narre Warren shopping centre only 5 minutes away.

Good advice from furkew. Yes Jells Park very big, and also out Berwick way is the Cardinia Reservoir park, some one may have more info about that I haven't been for a while, but I think the Brit Vics have met there at some stage too.

Guest itskaren
Hi,

I am out in Melbourne at the moment, on week 2 of a 3 week recce visit.

Would like any opinions or information on Fern Tree Gully and the surrounding towns and villages............good and bad!

we have 2 kids at secondary age( 14 and 13) and 1 at primary age(just turned 10)

we will be renting for first 3 years.

Any advice gratefully received,

M

I am actually in Upper Ferntree Gully now as I type this. I like it very much but not as nice as England ...

Guest itskaren
I am really enjoying your posts. Really useful. I looked up ringwood and wantirna areas on the real estate sight and unfortunately they are alittle out of or price range. Most 3 - 4 beds start at 450,000 - 480,000 au as far as I can see, and after changing our money over we will have about 420,ooo max to spend. Where would you suggest in the east, south east side? Love bike tracks, parks and cafes and shops! Would prefer a newer house, or to build. . . or an older house with abit of space between the houses.

Also, seeing as you are a wealth of information, :biggrin:would you know of any good parks to stop off at with the kids as we explore these areas? Is Jell park a fun park? Somewhere with heaps of playground equipment woulfd be great if you know of any. . . .

OH heck, I think i am addicted to this site!!! HELP!!!:laugh:

Many thanks

Jenny

My kids love going to Lilydale lake to play. Not far from Ringwood

Guest itskaren
can anyone comment on rowville and knoxfield areas? Good? Bad? I am also interested in the fire risks of these areas. Also considering belgrave. . . . any advice appreciated!!!

Belgrave is lovely. Start of the Puffing Billy train. However, I just would not consider any of these places due to the high risk of fires ..I don't care how nice it is.

yes i absolutely agree. I have visions of my children off down the road playing at a park on a hot widy day - a likely place for a fire to start, an it just spreading like wildfire. I would not feel safe letting my children go off to play elsewhere on really hot days. In NZ we have high humidity and fire just does not spead like that ever. The only fires we have are house fires caused by human error and they never spread to other houses. Even when stupid idiots set fires in school playgrounds etc they do not spread.

But other peole have said rowville is far enough away from the dandenong ranges, and not a fire rist like belgrave is. What do you al think? Is it far enough away? Secondly, do they have nice new estates there, or nice older houses, or is it and area filled with pokey little hovels?

well it is tricky to work out how this site works. am I actially talking to someone when I post 'quick reply' or is this just a post that I have sent for people to view and respond to at a later date? Really hoping this site can be used as a chatting site! That would be great!

Guest Baldwin22

Ferntree Gully has many Eucalyptus trees (gum trees) and many steep hills, as it is in the Dandenong Ranges. It also has a National Park, Ferntree Gully/Dandenong Ranges National Park, in the suburb.

Ferntree Gully is a high fire risk suburb, and there have been many fires in the past...

Guest itskaren
Ferntree Gully has many Eucalyptus trees (gum trees) and many steep hills, as it is in the Dandenong Ranges. It also has a National Park, Ferntree Gully/Dandenong Ranges National Park, in the suburb.

Ferntree Gully is a high fire risk suburb, and there have been many fires in the past...

I agree.

• 4 months later...
Guest kitkat37
yes i absolutely agree. I have visions of my children off down the road playing at a park on a hot widy day - a likely place for a fire to start, an it just spreading like wildfire. I would not feel safe letting my children go off to play elsewhere on really hot days. In NZ we have high humidity and fire just does not spead like that ever. The only fires we have are house fires caused by human error and they never spread to other houses. Even when stupid idiots set fires in school playgrounds etc they do not spread.

But other peole have said rowville is far enough away from the dandenong ranges, and not a fire rist like belgrave is. What do you al think? Is it far enough away? Secondly, do they have nice new estates there, or nice older houses, or is it and area filled with pokey little hovels?

Rowville had a big property spurt and lots of houses built recently (past 5-10yrs) that have gone up and up in price but still fairly affordable. Rowville is way out of the fire risk area (but you will never stop that silly fire from someone throwing a ciggy out their window!). Dandenongs from Upwey to Montrose are a high fire risk during the summer months only (Dec-March) mainly because there is one road in/out of the area and it is full of trees.

I live in Ferntree Gully and, whilst some areas of it abut the Dandenong Ranges, it is not full of heaps of gum trees ( the streets have them sometimes every 10m, but many are being removed as they have roots that get under the foundations of the houses)and the fire refuge for the people that live up in the Dandenong Ranges (if there is a fire up there they come there) is at the end of my street - not likely it would have been put there if it was then going to be under high fire risk! I also work at the hospital what is at foot of the ranges and we don't let our staff go up into the hills on Total Fire Ban Days. If you are sensible you stay safe and there is plenty of info during the summer about this.

if you are worried then come over in wet time, rent and sus it out? It is a lovely area

I am way less worried about the whole fire thing now that we are here. everyone else lives with the daily risk - which is very minor anyway.

I sound really worried in this earlier post - but have moved on from that. Rowville and surrounding areas are lovely

Jenny

Guest kitkat37

Glad of that Jenny - I am sure it sounds aweful when you hear all the news overseas but now ur here you can see it isn't that bad.

Archived