Confusion over VETASSESS & work experience - help needed!!

Guest gs05

Hi there

This is my first post to the forum, and I am sure there will be more to come... Not surprisingly, the first question is about skills assessment done by VETASSESS...

I am an international postgrad student in Australia, and would like to get my skills assessment done with my non-Australian qualifications. The thing I get confused is about work experience. I will give below two different information on how work experience is assessed for skills recognition. The source of the first piece is VETASSESS itself, and the other one has recently been provided by an agent.

VETASSESS states in its website that (under FAQ):

"I have been studying and am only allowed to work for up to 20 hours a week; will this be enough for the full skills assessment?

In calculating years of paid employment, VETASSESS will count employment of at least 20 hours per week. We will not consider weeks of less than 20 hours per week even if the average hours of your employment was 20 hours per week or more."

And the below information is given by an agent:

"Have you worked 20 hours a week doing paid work for a cumulative period of 12 months over the last 5 years? If so, would you be able to obtain letters of reference from your employers supporting this work? If you have 12 months paid professional work experience at 20 hours a week over the last 5 years you will be able to apply for

accreditation based on your non-Australian qualifications. "

What makes me confused is this: "20 hours a week paid work for a cumulative period of 12 months over the last 5 years"

With a basic math; you need to work for 1040 hours cumulatively (20 x 52 = 1040 hours) in the last 5 years in order to get 12 months work experience. The number of hours I worked is well over 1040 hours, but as an international student most of the weeks I worked less than 20 hours (around 15-18) just to be on the safe side!

So if VETASSESS uses the cumulative hours I worked in the last 5 years, that's OK, I have more than enough. But if the weeks I worked less than 20 hours will not be counted, then it simply means I do not meet the conditions for work experience, although I have worked much more hours than needed (but less than 20 hours p/w).

I hope there are people out there who have an idea or answer!!!

Happy Easter to all!!!

• 1 year later...
Guest Violinist

Hi there!

I read your post and I am in the exact same boat! What was the outcome? Did VETASSESS give the ok to a cumulative amount of hours over the past five years?

Cheers,

Johanna

Hi there

This is my first post to the forum, and I am sure there will be more to come... Not surprisingly, the first question is about skills assessment done by VETASSESS...

I am an international postgrad student in Australia, and would like to get my skills assessment done with my non-Australian qualifications. The thing I get confused is about work experience. I will give below two different information on how work experience is assessed for skills recognition. The source of the first piece is VETASSESS itself, and the other one has recently been provided by an agent.

VETASSESS states in its website that (under FAQ):

"I have been studying and am only allowed to work for up to 20 hours a week; will this be enough for the full skills assessment?

In calculating years of paid employment, VETASSESS will count employment of at least 20 hours per week. We will not consider weeks of less than 20 hours per week even if the average hours of your employment was 20 hours per week or more."

And the below information is given by an agent:

"Have you worked 20 hours a week doing paid work for a cumulative period of 12 months over the last 5 years? If so, would you be able to obtain letters of reference from your employers supporting this work? If you have 12 months paid professional work experience at 20 hours a week over the last 5 years you will be able to apply for

accreditation based on your non-Australian qualifications. "

What makes me confused is this: "20 hours a week paid work for a cumulative period of 12 months over the last 5 years"

With a basic math; you need to work for 1040 hours cumulatively (20 x 52 = 1040 hours) in the last 5 years in order to get 12 months work experience. The number of hours I worked is well over 1040 hours, but as an international student most of the weeks I worked less than 20 hours (around 15-18) just to be on the safe side!

So if VETASSESS uses the cumulative hours I worked in the last 5 years, that's OK, I have more than enough. But if the weeks I worked less than 20 hours will not be counted, then it simply means I do not meet the conditions for work experience, although I have worked much more hours than needed (but less than 20 hours p/w).

I hope there are people out there who have an idea or answer!!!

Happy Easter to all!!!

In my personal opinion, they will not count any week when you did not work for the whole 20 hours (at the least).

Archived