Potential Employers??

JayBone

Is it just me, or are all but a few Australian companies simply rude when it comes to job applications?

I have applied for dozens and dozens of jobs over the last few years in Australia, i have simply lost count of the actual amount of companies that i have applied to for specific advertised positions, and ones that i have uploaded my CV to, on their recruitment sites.

In 4 years of (started in January 2006) doing so, i have only ever received feedback from one company, i find it quite appalling!

A couple of years ago i scrapped the idea of coming to Australia with company sponsorship because of this and went it alone.

Now i have Permanent Residency, i still am not receiving any feedback :arghh:

Most of the jobs i am applying to are exactly what i do now!! I could have copied the job advertisement requirements onto my CV! it was so similar.

And for a real kick in the teeth, they are only asking for people with 'similar' backgrounds and far less qualifications than myself....starting to grind a little!!

This happenning to anyone else?

Rant over.

Guest thebeatties

hi Jaybone

know what its like, i found it the same until i started phoning them up and asking if they got my CV, then asking for feedback, if negative i asked why. I didnt let the agencies win, found out that they were the biggest barrier in meeting the prospective employers. in the last six months now had two offers of jobs, now accepted one in Perth and will be going over in the next 6-8 weeks.

Keep going something will turn up

Regards

john:biggrin:

Hi there,

Just wanted to ask I have been trying desperatey for finding a job which will offer sponsorship but as soon as you say you are not a residency its as if you have no chance. I have had alot of replies (surprizingly) but none offering anything more.

Did you just apply through agencies or search specific companies? I am an Office Manager and had applied for tonnes of jobs but not getting any joy. Feel like giving up!

Thanks

x

Guest thebeatties

Hi there

I have my 176 visa, got in in November 2009, so it might have been a bit easier for me. I also tried the classified adds in the papers, you can get them online or get them sent over to you, these adds tend to be placed directly by the prospective employers.

Hope this helps

John

Most of the jobs i have applied to have been direct to the companies, only a couple via agents.

Ive basically given up and decided to take the first year in Oz out of work and enjoy our new surroundings and dwindle away our savings!

Im going to print off a load of CV's and post them to the employers on our travels in the hope that someone takes a bite, but if not ill get my clippers out and head to the nearest sheep farm!!

Im a Production Technician (Supervisor) in the oil industry (Offshore) and formerly an Electrical Technician. I work for BP, currently in the Middle East (Caspian Sea).

There are loads of new projects in Australia, and from what i have heard, a real shortage of people. I have applied to Chevron, ExxonMobil, Shell, Woodside, BG, Origin, Bass Strait, Otto, Beach, ConocoPhillips, Apache an several others, the only one i have heard from is Origin, who told me, they are not in a position to offer me anything until they meet with me, which is fair enough.

Its looking more likely that i will have to continue working overseas, which is something i really didnt want to do!!

Guest thebeatties
Im a Production Technician (Supervisor) in the oil industry (Offshore) and formerly an Electrical Technician. I work for BP, currently in the Middle East (Caspian Sea).

There are loads of new projects in Australia, and from what i have heard, a real shortage of people. I have applied to Chevron, ExxonMobil, Shell, Woodside, BG, Origin, Bass Strait, Otto, Beach, ConocoPhillips, Apache an several others, the only one i have heard from is Origin, who told me, they are not in a position to offer me anything until they meet with me, which is fair enough.

Its looking more likely that i will have to continue working overseas, which is something i really didnt want to do!!

Im a Civil Engineer, im heading up to Gorgon for the new LNG plant, they have told me that they are looking for staff, i will be speaking to them again after easter, will see if there is anything for yourself.

Cheers

Im a Civil Engineer, im heading up to Gorgon for the new LNG plant, they have told me that they are looking for staff, i will be speaking to them again after easter, will see if there is anything for yourself.

Cheers

Ive had my CV in with Chevron for two years on one of those 'Expressions of Interest' advertisements, which is for the Gorgon project, and only last month i applied for a specific position on Thevenard Island with Chevron, but have heard nothing. I have explained on my covering letter that even though i am not in Australia right now, i am willing to go over there straight away to start a job and then clear things in the UK after this.

I still think it will be some time until Chevron will recruit operations personnel for the Gorgon project, but surely there must be something for me in Australia?

Guest marge

This is probably ultra-obvious but have you also been doing the dreaded networking? I've moved around a lot both in employment field and location and I've always done things like calling people in my target industry for informational interviews (be careful to just ask for information not a job), joining organisations, using linked-in etc. Are you doing all that and still no bites?

This is probably ultra-obvious but have you also been doing the dreaded networking? I've moved around a lot both in employment field and location and I've always done things like calling people in my target industry for informational interviews (be careful to just ask for information not a job), joining organisations, using linked-in etc. Are you doing all that and still no bites?

Networking is not really a possibility outside of my own company. I know people working for a couple of the companies i have applied to but they havent enough sway to help me out really.

I would like to think that i have enough experience and skills to get the job on merit, but it seems not! I should have known better really, the industry is very insular and 'who you know' syndrome! Its a good job i got into it at 17 when no employer could have possibly expected me to have any contacts!

Guest sh7t man no way
Is it just me, or are all but a few Australian companies simply rude when it comes to job applications?

I have applied for dozens and dozens of jobs over the last few years in Australia, i have simply lost count of the actual amount of companies that i have applied to for specific advertised positions, and ones that i have uploaded my CV to, on their recruitment sites.

In 4 years of (started in January 2006) doing so, i have only ever received feedback from one company, i find it quite appalling!

A couple of years ago i scrapped the idea of coming to Australia with company sponsorship because of this and went it alone.

Most of the jobs i am applying to are exactly what i do now!! I could have copied the job advertisement requirements onto my CV! it was so similar.

And for a real kick in the teeth, they are only asking for people with 'similar' backgrounds and far less qualifications than myself....starting to grind a little!!

Rant over.

there wierd over here on CVs--ive worked all over the world as an electrical engineer,but they only seem interesed in australian experience---which is a catch 22 situation some what---as far as im concerened they dont look at written references over here,they prefer to ring 2 references (preferably 2 aussie references)--ive worked for 2 aussie companys so my references ring through all the time--also they have a similar format to the american CV (if you type into google how to right an australian CV) that will show you how,and what they want--ive had to dumb down my CV somewhat it connfusses them--i find your cover letter is just as important as your CV---hope this helps

there wierd over here on CVs--ive worked all over the world as an electrical engineer,but they only seem interesed in australian experience---which is a catch 22 situation some what---as far as im concerened they dont look at written references over here,they prefer to ring 2 references (preferably 2 aussie references)--ive worked for 2 aussie companys so my references ring through all the time--also they have a similar format to the american CV (if you type into google how to right an australian CV) that will show you how,and what they want--ive had to dumb down my CV somewhat it connfusses them--i find your cover letter is just as important as your CV---hope this helps

Cheers Mate,

Googled it and will do a little tweaking, fortunately i used to work with a guy who has been working in the Industry in Australia for 3 years so i will stick him down as a referee, and with the rest, as you say, i better dumb it down!

Thanks again

Rant over.

Jaybone,

Production operations and instrument back ground offshore for 18 years, 7 with a major operator. I've been here 7 weeks now, tried like fury before we came but still getting dip **** in an industry that professes to be short of skilled personel. I keep hearing it's going ballistic around August, so who knows we may all get swept up in the rush.

If you have project experience or contacts you may be in with a shout and if you have electrical qualifications then make sure you have all your quals with you and you may get to do your electrical license, you have to apply and ask permission first.

With all the licensing **** here the system appears to work differently for anywhere else in the world. I'm still hoping I can break through and I do have contacts trying to help when they can, but with agents or front end HR portals and not engineers and managers to talk to getting through the barrier is a tough nut for sure.

Good luck with your tour and job search.

Jaybone,

Production operations and instrument back ground offshore for 18 years, 7 with a major operator. I've been here 7 weeks now, tried like fury before we came but still getting dip **** in an industry that professes to be short of skilled personel. I keep hearing it's going ballistic around August, so who knows we may all get swept up in the rush.

If you have project experience or contacts you may be in with a shout and if you have electrical qualifications then make sure you have all your quals with you and you may get to do your electrical license, you have to apply and ask permission first.

With all the licensing **** here the system appears to work differently for anywhere else in the world. I'm still hoping I can break through and I do have contacts trying to help when they can, but with agents or front end HR portals and not engineers and managers to talk to getting through the barrier is a tough nut for sure.

Its the johnno club mate either get a job in the metro and get your name recognised or a mate of a mate its daft ,but youn need all your tickets ,if you are going straight for the rigs,mines you will njeed all the basic tickets , most you can do on line basic safety and **** others you havbe to do here

Hi OilDigger,

Im Production Operations with Electrical Background, 11 years with BP, Ive been on the ACG project in Azerbaijan for the last 3 years, recently got promoted to Ops Team Leader, so I would like to think ive got enough to get employed in OZ, but like you’ve found, I cant even get past the first hurdle, even though, like you say, there is a shortage of people? Ive even thought about going back down the electrical route, I have kept all of my HV and Compex up to date and have an NVQ3 and ONC as well, so shouldn’t struggle to get an ‘A Grade’ licence if needed.

Ive also tried to talk to people but cant find any phone numbers, all you seem able to do is post your CV on their websites!

Hopefully see you on Gorgon mate!

Jaybone,

Guest cham11

Recruitment agents are terrible in general.

I think the general practice for private sector in Australia is not to to contact applicants unless they are to be interviewed. It's kind of rude if you've spent a lot of time applying!

Hi JB,

Being part of the recruitment process here in Aus I've found it very different, in that you don't get notification if you've not been shortlisted, you just don't hear anything. However, you can contact the company and ask for feedback as to why you didn't get shortlisted they may be able to give you some tips to help you with other job applications.

I work in health and it may be different for other jobs, but there is usually an essential/desirable selection criteria and the shortlisting panel are looking in addition to your CV for you to address the selection criteria specifically. If you just send your CV and they can't find the information they want in that (ie. addressing the criteria) the applicant won't get shortlisted. The best way to do it is send your CV and additional information. Type each heading for the selection criteria and under each one write how you demonstrate those skills, give examples, e.g don't just say I handled a large contract ... tell them how , liaising , communicating by email, presentations to senior staff etc., etc., what were the outcomes, what feedback did you get etc etc., Do this for each criteria.

I would agree that you are likely to get better responses when you are in the country rather than a long flight away.

If you put yourself in the recruiters shoes would you want to call someone over from the other side of the world for an interview when you received applications from people who are a lot closer and easier to call in for interview, I know I would be selecting those closer to home first.

Guest Dave Payne

Rant over.

Sure has. I think it is SOP for everyone. Agencies are an absolute nightmare. As other posters have said, they are the biggest obstacle to finding work, as they actually work for the client and not you, despite the spin. I was turned down by one agent in 15 seconds, which must be a record.

The advice I have been given by my neighbour (an aussie in recruitment) is:

1. Get your nationality, age and visa status off your CV.

2. Shorten the CV to no more than 2 pages tops.

3. Do not apply to EOE adverts - waste of effort.

4. Always ring the agent and attempt to strike up a personal relationship that might make them submit your CV to a client.

5. Chase them up regularly and ask them face up what they are doing to find you that job.

6. At no stage mention migration status unless asked or at final negotiation of salary package. let them assume what they want.

Finally I have learnt the hard way that in OZ it all boils down to networking and relationships. Who you know rather than what you know. Most employers seem to want a recommendation from a mate or someone they know due to the high cost of replacing staff (2.5 x salary apparently !!)

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that mate,

Ive been in touch with some recruitment agencies now to try and get my CV and covering letters sorted and got some invaluable advice. I have tried my new CV out with two recent job applications, although I haven’t been successful in getting the jobs, I have actually had feedback direct from the employer, they told me that I was an ideal candidate but my availability in this instance was an issue as they needed an immediate start, and the other one told me that I was unsuccessful in this instance due the high demand for the position from local applicants, which I kind of expected as it was a highly desirable position, but I was encouraged to apply to future positions.

My CV and covering letters were certainly holding me back, but I think I have that sorted now and must admit that they look much better now! And the proof is in the pudding that I am getting feedback.

By the way, what is an EOE advert?

Guest JUSTINandLENKA

Most employers despite the need for more skilled migrants will of course fish in the local pond first. Make yourself look local. The Aussies are a parochial socialist bunch. Recruiters were of no assistance to me and i obtained a role here and sponsorship through carefull researching which companies i wanted to work for and applying to them direct. Good luck

Guest Dave Payne

Sorry mate,

That was me being an idiot.

Should have been EOI - Expression of Interest.

Personally I've had a terrible time with the whole agency recruitment thing. Amongst others:

Being not local.

Not having "sufficient Australian experience" - old chestnut that.

Being on a 457 visa and needing sponsorship.

Not having an Australian degree

Not being licensed in the state (QLD) - I am a surveyor - There is no existing way of getting a license other than doing it all again - 5 years+ on trainee wage. Tough if you've been doing the job 25 years.

Being "too smart for Australia", genuine quote that - Consulting Company in Melbourne

Being "a Pom" - some guy in WA.

Having had more than one job in the last 14 years ...

The list goes on and on.

My agent fella at Hays told me that the jobs go as follows:

1. Someone the company knows

2. Australian applicants

3. PR applicants

4. Temp work permit applicants

5. others

I have no reason to doubt him. I had a great job lined up on a melbourne pipeline project, did medicals, job offer etc and then lost it at last moment to some "old mate" the Project Manager knew who was unqualified but obviously known to them. "Who you know not what you know"

I dont blame them. They are just operating within their culture. That's the way it is done here. Adapt or Perish - Don't try to change.

Glad to hear you're making progress.

Archived