PommyPaul

could some bad luck open a door to fun?

I'm having abit of stress with my new job, been there for about a month and half now, when i started i really stressed to the boss that it needed to be a long term job and he reasured me that it was 6 months plus....

well already he's saying he is having probs finding work which means i left a secure full time job to end up in a unsecure fulltime possibly turning to part time job/nothing :mad:

so i'm thinking it all oes pear shaped and i can't find a new job quickly i might hit the backpacker trail for a few months and see where it takes me..

don't know why i'm writing this as i doubt anyone gives a toss lol

My Aussie pictures - https://instagram.com/paulbell5/

Guest smileykylie

if you have no ties and can do it then i say go for it - you will get to see parts of the country you never thought you would and who knows what opportunities it will throw up. Good luck

Guest Working to fish

Reading between the lines

Paul is saying ,i gave up a good job ,new job is not all that .So lets go backpacking shag some birds ect,ect, :wink:

Sorry to hear about the job Paul, have you tried talking to your old boss, he seemed a decent guy and if I remember right you are renting his house still? If it doesn't work out you are only young, go for it and hit the road in your new 4 x 4. If I didn't have the children we would be out there travelling around Oz. The only downside is how will you manage without PIO.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Paul is saying ,i gave up a good job ,new job is not all that .So lets go backpacking shag some birds ect,ect, :wink:

Paulo,

Dont go porking in Backpackers FFS!!!!The beds are crawling,never mind the Gals! Yukkky yuk.

:biggrin:

Guest guest37336

Hi mate.

If things don't work out with the job, and you don't have children etc, why not just bugger off and travel for a while. Whats the worst that can happen, OK, Wolf Creek and all that:shocked:, but seriously why not?

Australia is so big that you could travel forever and never see it. Give yourself a break mate and get out there. You will ALWAYS be able to find work, maybe not in the profession you are trained/used to but there is always work if you look hard enough. The people you will meet and the experiences you have will remain with you till your dyeing day.

Admittedly, some will be bad experiences but the vast majority of them will make you look back at your travels when you are older and realise what a great time you had.

You have only yourself to worry about, (unless I'm wrong), so go for it mate, before its too late. Enjoy it if you can. Try and turn a negative into a positive mate, not easy I know. But this blip could lead to experiences and opportunities that very, very, rarely come along in life.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

As Kate says id have a chat with your old boss,, be honest tell him the grass wasnt greener etc etc ,,the worst he can say is no i dont have work for you.

If he says that ,then pack up and travel,, you are so lucky not to have kids who need to go to school etc, you would have a fab time

The final option would be you move here and look after the kids whilst i go travelling around! lmao

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Guest byron

yeah I asked, and got it back too. after resigning twice, my old(new) boss is a star

Paul, another thought you could start a PIO Marathon and try and meet every member on here, that way you get to travel the world and get free board and lodgings.:wubclub:

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Go for it mate.............We are doing the same thing.

We had planned on coming over to Australia, and i would keep my job overseas and commute from Australia instead but....................Sod it!

How many times in life do you get the opportunity to start all over again?

Ive decided to leave my job, become unemployed for the first time in my life, and move out of our comfortable 4 bed detached in the Suburbs, into the back of a 1961 VW camper! and ive never felt better! ive got a few more months of work and then we will be unavailable for the foreseeable future! Bliss! plus we will have our furry companion with us too, its gonna be cosy in the van!!

Get yourself a camper, and hit the road, let us know where you'll be and we'll meet up!

We are 28 and 29 years old and have enough time to start all over again, and i am not gonna live to regret not doing this, even if it turns sour!!

My Father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belguim with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery!

I'm having abit of stress with my new job, been there for about a month and half now, when i started i really stressed to the boss that it needed to be a long term job and he reasured me that it was 6 months plus....

well already he's saying he is having probs finding work which means i left a secure full time job to end up in a unsecure fulltime possibly turning to part time job/nothing :mad:

so i'm thinking it all oes pear shaped and i can't find a new job quickly i might hit the backpacker trail for a few months and see where it takes me..

don't know why i'm writing this as i doubt anyone gives a toss lol

I care and I know Sh7tman give a toss as well

:hug:

Happy people make dreams come true, miserble people just moan.

Guest sh7t man no way

i got the same feeling to eddie----allright for some innit---living the dream--go on walkabouts paul,lifes to short:biggrin:

Guest roma 1

Hi Paul.

I would say go for it too as you never know what it will lead to...

I thought about you yesterday as i was in Wroxham, freezing and feeding the swans with chips from that little chinese near the bridge and said to my hubby " i bet Paul is warmer than us lol"

Have some fun ,

Gail xxx

:jiggy:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Paul

You can see masses of QLD wildlife from your balcomy at home. I'll always envy you that.

I think your old boss would probably welcome you back, too, because he knows you well and he knows that you are hardworking and honest.

However there are thousands of sq miles of Australia that you will never see from a balcony in QLD, too. Almost all of the rest of Australia, to be exact. You have PR and you have the skills to be able to pick up work wherever you go.

If your present job folds up, it was only temporary anyway. Six measly months plus is not "a permanent job" in my eyes.

I agree with the others. If the work locally folds up, get a camper van and go travelling.

When my younger sister Elaine first went to Oz with a girlfriend of hers, they were both 21 (only just.) They had met at secretarial college and then they shared what I thought was an absolutely vile (albeit large) bedsit in Kensington followed by an equally horrible flat. Elaine had yammered about Australia ceaselessly ever since she was about 5.

Elaine talked Yvonne into Australia, I reckon. They got Working Holiday visas and headed to Oz for a year. Mum, Dad and I gave them STRICT instructions that if they got stuck, they were to go to my godparents, who had a sheep station down near Albany in WA.

They flew to Perth in about September 1979 and discovered that there was no market for temporary secretaries anywhere in Oz. On their own they would have had to stick to the main cities anyway because although Elaine is very practical and handy, these two couldn't fix a vehicle reliably and they knew zero bushcraft.

So they were stuck. So they went to my godparents. The shearing team went to my godparents' farm a few days later. My godmother explained the problems of the secretarial work to the shearing contractor. He said that the girls could become shed hands and go round Oz with his team if they wanted to.

Yvonne didn't last long at that. She returned to the UK on her own 9 months after reaching Oz.

Elaine loved it, on the other hand. She met Hubby Neil who was one of the shearers and they stayed with the shearing team for 5 or 6 years. They went to all the main Cities in Oz but they went to much of the Outback as well.

Elaine came to the UK for a short visit in about 1982. She did not tell any horror stories near Mum and Dad but by then I was living in London and Elaine came to stay with me for a bit. She told me that there had been a major drought in SA at the time. They had been to a farm with 5,000 sheep. The farmer had run out of money and could not afford to have any more fresh water sent to the farm by road for the sheep. The deal was that the shearers would take the fleeces off and then they would shoot all 5,000 sheep. Elaine said that this had been done. She said that everyone hated killing the sheep but they would die of dehydration before starvation would kill them in any case, so there was nothing else for it but to get it out of the way quickly.

On their way "home" (ie away) from this farm, they got caught up in a bush fire. The bush fire was huge and was following the direction the team were going in. Elaine said that the team had plenty of 4WD vehicles and the shearers all knew about off road driving. They had hand held compasses in the utes so a few steps away from the metal of the utes would give them a reliable compass bearing. They also had maps, lots of spare fuel and water, lots of tools, spares etc and VHF radios in the utes so they could speak with the rest of the team and - in this case - with the emergency services as well.

Elaine said that the fire fighting people were telling the shearing team drivers which way to go and were telling them to drive like the clappers because the fire was only about 20kms behind them and it was moving very fast. The emergency people had spotter planes in the air so they were in touch with the planes and were able to tell everyone on the ground which way to go.

Elaine said that the shearing team people all reached safety with no problems in the end but that it had been quite hairy for a few hours whilst they escaped from the fire.

Mmmm! I've always been prepared to risk life and limb out on the 'oggin but I would be scared stiff on dry land in a bush fire. That sort of adventure is definitely not for me and neither is anything to do with killing sheep. However you take after Elaine and I reckon that you would love the sheer adventure in the same way that she did.

Good can most definitely come out of a bad experience, so look forwards and upwards and go for it if you get the chance, hun.

Cheers

Gill

Paul is saying ,i gave up a good job ,new job is not all that .So lets go backpacking shag some birds ect,ect,

and I cant see why he's fighting it either.

Lets see.

Work :goofy:

or travel & shag. :Randy-git:

Mmmmm, now thats a difficult decision. :confused:

:wink:

thanks Gill, i really do respect your views alot!!!

I reckon you're all right, if this job does fail i'll sell up everything and take as long as it takes travelling in the 4x4 till i find the new place to settle, be that wa, vic, qld, nt or where ever i end up :)

My Aussie pictures - https://instagram.com/paulbell5/

Guest confused irishman
Go for it mate.............We are doing the same thing.

We had planned on coming over to Australia, and i would keep my job overseas and commute from Australia instead but....................Sod it!

How many times in life do you get the opportunity to start all over again?

Ive decided to leave my job, become unemployed for the first time in my life, and move out of our comfortable 4 bed detached in the Suburbs, into the back of a 1961 VW camper! and ive never felt better! ive got a few more months of work and then we will be unavailable for the foreseeable future! Bliss! plus we will have our furry companion with us too, its gonna be cosy in the van!!

Get yourself a camper, and hit the road, let us know where you'll be and we'll meet up!

We are 28 and 29 years old and have enough time to start all over again, and i am not gonna live to regret not doing this, even if it turns sour!!

hey jaybone

i like your outlook on life. it makes me smile.