Unlawful foxtel installed

Guest tienna

Guest tienna

We are renting a house and have been here for 5 months before we signed our contracts we asked our agent if we could have foxtel at the property she told us yes. So we had it installed not long after we moved in. After our second inspection which was attended by landlord also, we received a letter informing us to remove foxtel and repair drill holes in roof within 14 days or get out. We were only told verbally by our agent who has now moved from the agency. In the letter they say they will be getting declarations from any previous staff to say they did not give us permission when actually she did. Do we have any rights or is it their word against ours which means we lose I suppose? We were also told by the same agent we could have a pool as long as we kept an eye on the grass so we bought a blowup one. When the landlord came to check sprinkers as lawn was dying we asked if we could put pool on the large patio so no prob with grass she said umm maybe then we got a letter saying no pool allowed at all so it stayed in the box. Our landlord also wanted us to put sprinklers on extra days than the 3 we were allocated to help the lawn thought this was illegal but what do i know any advice greatly appreciated please, thankyou:arghh:

Hiya

Sounds like you have a very fussy landlord,, poor you. I have had similar happen to me and learnt not to trust anything the agents say, as sad as it is make sure any correspondence with them is in writing.

In regrads to the sprinklers , it will depend on the area you are in as to what the rules are, if the sprinklers are recycled, tank or town water will also play a factor.

Cal x

Guest tienna
Hiya

Sounds like you have a very fussy landlord,, poor you. I have had similar happen to me and learnt not to trust anything the agents say, as sad as it is make sure any correspondence with them is in writing.

In regrads to the sprinklers , it will depend on the area you are in as to what the rules are, if the sprinklers are recycled, tank or town water will also play a factor.

Cal x

Thankyou yes I think we do unfortunately for us. We will make sure everything in writing from now on as you said. We keep the house immaculate and always pay rent on time it's very frustrating.

Guest swoosh

It is not illegal to have Foxtel installed. It is legal and the landlord cannot threaten you.

Do a google search.

Guest red back

Contact the rental tribunal and ask there advise. I would suggest that although you may need permission it may be a little heavy handed if they kick you out. You may have to repair the holes and put the roof back to its original state of repair, which may be argued by the landlord.

On the other hand, give him notice and tell him he can keep the dish and stick it where the sun does not shine.

Wouldn't put up with that - i'd tell him to stick the house and move on! :wacko:

At most all he had to say was the holes need filling in before you move out - whats the difference if it was done now or in 6 months

and a lesson for the future - email every question to the agents - that way you have it in writing

It is not illegal to have Foxtel installed. It is legal and the landlord cannot threaten you.

Do a google search.

I don't think that's the problem - the problem is that the landlord is saying he did not give permission for it to be installed in his house. The OP had a verbal agreement from the rental agent, but that has no meaning.

To be honest, I don't see the problem! As a landlord myself, yes, I would want to know if someone was going to be drilling holes into my wall, but to me, if it is done properly then it is actually a bonus to have it there. Also, if people are prepared to make good at the end of the tenancy by repairing walls, if a landlord does not want it left there, then that ought to be good enough.

I would try and negotiate with them about it.

Love

Rudi

x

Probably WA , get the sprinkler stuff in writing then present this to the council , water corp , demand to contact the agent you dealt with ,yiou should have correspond ance from her ,if not go to the regulating bodies ,they are up **** creek ,as you should have everything in writing ,

Guest mtcosby

I cant believe how these so called real estate agents and the owners get away with treating tennants with such disrespect.... we have had a right belly full from ours and cant wait to get out.. but then again what will we end up with.... I know when we leave this rental the agents and owner gonna get a big shock coming to them, we are putting an offical complaint in writting to reiwa reiba the courts and anyone else who wants to know... but of course.. AFTER we get out bond back!!!! Its about time someone stood up to these soo called school ground bullies.....

It sounds like you need to get everything in writing in order to protect yourselves, We only rented for 12 weeks when we first arrived (private rental through a migration website), our landlord lived on xmas island but was superb in getting people round to fix things for us (we just sent him a text message). We were told right away what we could and couldn't do (ie. not put nails into walls etc). Our bond was put into our bank account about 4 days after we left.

Guest MrStocky

I've been doing all my communication with my letting agents via email so I have history available in event of any issues - this included my request & confirmation that I was ok for Foxtel install!

It sounds like you need to get everything in writing in order to protect yourselves, We only rented for 12 weeks when we first arrived (private rental through a migration website), our landlord lived on xmas island but was superb in getting people round to fix things for us (we just sent him a text message). We were told right away what we could and couldn't do (ie. not put nails into walls etc). Our bond was put into our bank account about 4 days after we left.

Classic youngun ,you rented off an asylum seeker ( a rich bugger) lmbo

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Tienna

How are things going, have you managed to sort something out with them yet?

Kate

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sarahbunny

Its not illegal to put foxtel up, but a verbal agreement with the real estate agent is not enough.

You should have ( and in the future for anyone else ) put it in writing. ( date, signed, proposed action ) So then you are covered.

Heresay will not protect you. This owner of the property sounds like a jerk and it sucks that they are behaving like this and making threats , which they are NOT allowed to do. They shouldnt be allowed to demand you to remove the foxtel and repair it UNTIL you move out. And once you move out if you dont repair, then they could possibly have the right to keep some of the money you paid for bond to repair the so called damages.

Good luck, let us know how you got on

Guest sarahbunny
The more posts i read about renting makes me all the more determined to buy!minefields and skullduggery!

Well you might as well buy if you have the money to do so / the means to get finance. In most cases repayments can be pretty close to the costs of renting.

Well you might as well buy if you have the money to do so / the means to get finance. In most cases repayments can be pretty close to the costs of renting.

What planewt in Australia do you live on repayments close to renting ffs

Tbh sarah ive been looking on realestate.com,au and from what i see renting is cheaper.

Im 47 sadly:arghh:,so "my" repayments would be a lot higher than here i think,but im going to look into an interest only mortgage,i dont know if thats possible,but will see.

We arent coming over with any notion of making money on property,not ar7ed tbh,and if we have to take out a full repayment mortgage and have less $ each week so be it.

But interest only and more $ to ourselves each week is what we'd "prefer".

Chances are she's a lot younger than you and me old timer:jiggy:,maybe if its over a longer term......30 yrs or something it might be cheaper? maybe thats what sarah means?

Tbh sarah ive been looking on realestate.com,au and from what i see renting is cheaper.

Im 47 sadly:arghh:,so "my" repayments would be a lot higher than here i think,but im going to look into an interest only mortgage,i dont know if thats possible,but will see.

We arent coming over with any notion of making money on property,not ar7ed tbh,and if we have to take out a full repayment mortgage and have less $ each week so be it.

But interest only and more $ to ourselves each week is what we'd "prefer".

Pabs mate i`m a few beers older than you mate and they gave us a 30 year balland chain mate , we pay weekly,that knocks 4 years or so off, at least you can knock a nail in a wall ,just because you can and no rental:policeman:

Mally

Pabs mate i`m a few beers older than you mate and they gave us a 30 year balland chain mate , we pay weekly,that knocks 4 years or so off, at least you can knock a nail in a wall ,just because you can and no rental:policeman:

Mally

Are you saying they gave yer a 30 year mortgage mal?btw i didnt know that about weekly!!

Guest sarahbunny

Wow, rude much?

I said if you have the money / option for finance. Meaning you have a reasonable deposit amount.

I live in Queensland, and currently my rent is $250 per week for a 3 bedroom house.

Prices of homes in my area start from $190.000 to around $300.000 for a 2-3 bedroom house.

If you have say $20.000 in savings, get the $14.000 first home buyers grant and take out a loan for $170.000 your repayments would be $1101 a month for 30 years, and own your OWN home and pay only a extra $4 a month then i spend on rent.

Your welcome!

Archived