and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest adsmith

Mobile phones - internet usage

Guest adsmith

Hi all,

Ive had a search through the forums and I cant see this question asked specifically.

Ive got a HTC Hero mobile (like an Iphone) and Id like to take it with me. To get the best functionality out of it you need internet access at all times as it does small updates for checking mail, facebook and twitter.

Whats the coverage for data 3G/HSDPA like in Perth? We'll be living NOR in Ocean Reef hopefully.

Are contracts readily available from the mobile phone carriers that allow you to bring your own handset? Do they come with reasonable monthly allowances for data?

Any help would be appreciated as it will help me decide whether bring it or ditch it here in the UK and buy new when I arrive

Cheers

Ad

All of the major networks, Telstra, Optus and Vodafone (Aust.) have network coverage maps on their websites

You will find the major cities have pretty good coverage

You may have a problem using a local SIM in an Oz phone, I contacted Vodafone UK and asked them could I use a Vodafone Aus SIM in an iphone and they told me it was locked to VFUK so although it would pick up VF Aus I would basiclly have to buy a new iphone when I get there

not sure if the same will apply to your phone - but prob best to check

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Hi Ad

Have a look at the providers coverage maps:

I know you can get sim only for pre-paid/pay as you go. Not sure about contract. Could always go for a contract with an ultra-cheap phone and just discard the phone and use the sim in your htc. (if it's unlocked)

Guest guest33730
All of the major networks, Telstra, Optus and Vodafone (Aust.) have network coverage maps on their websites

You will find the major cities have pretty good coverage

You may have a problem using a local SIM in an Oz phone, I contacted Vodafone UK and asked them could I use a Vodafone Aus SIM in an iphone and they told me it was locked to VFUK so although it would pick up VF Aus I would basiclly have to buy a new iphone when I get there

not sure if the same will apply to your phone - but prob best to check

It's very easy to unlock an iphone so it can work on any network - it may invalidate your insurance (if you have any) but my guess is most people moving to Aus won't need uk insurance anyway when they move.

Daniel

If you are going to unlock your phone then do it before you arrive in Australia because it is nigh on impossible to get it done here - dont know about the smart phones but there is usually a "little man in the market" who will do it for you at very little cost.

You might also check out Virgin - they have the same coverage as Optus (use the Optus towers) and have a "bring your own phone" plan. IMHO their data charges are very reasonable.

Unless you know that you are going to be metropolitan and never venture out of a big city then be wary of 3 - their coverage is metrop only and if you move out of that then you pay significantly for data roaming onto the Telstra network.

Guest karl n
It's very easy to unlock an iphone so it can work on any network - it may invalidate your insurance (if you have any) but my guess is most people moving to Aus won't need uk insurance anyway when they move.

Daniel

Hi there,

i want to bring my iphone with me when i move later this year, you say it's very easy to get them unlocked, i was just wondering how you go about it? any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Karl.

Guest guest33730
Hi there,

i want to bring my iphone with me when i move later this year, you say it's very easy to get them unlocked, i was just wondering how you go about it? any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Karl.

I have a friend who has unlocked quite a few but apparently all the info is readily available on the internet - if you get stuck PM me and I'll try to get a web address for you.

Daniel

Ok, some info I found out regarding iphone

Unlike other Apple products such as ipod Nano or Touch, the iphone doesn’t have a Worldwide warranty – if you buy one in the UK and take it to Oz then if anything happens to it you won’t be able to get it repaired under warranty

Unlocking or jail-breaking the iphone invalidates the warranty – but if there’s effectively no warranty on it in Oz – that won’t matter anyway

Either that or only take it to Oz after you have had it 12 months and it’s out of UK warranty anyway

Some people have reported sync’ing issues with itunes once the phone has been unlocked

You can undo a jail break by restoring the phone to factory setting

So basically if you have had your phone 12 months or more, take it to Oz, Jailbreak it, use it over there

If there are any sync issues, undo the jail break, re-snyc with itunes, then redo the jail break and continue to use

Or just buy one over there

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Guest adsmith

Thanks for all the info chaps. Ill be jailbreaking my HTC before I go (Its called Rooting in the world of Google Android phones) and hopefully be able to pick up a sim only package when I get out there.

The package prices from the links Cerburus posted show it doesnt look much different to uk prices. However I must stop comparing on a $2 to £1 basis!:no::cry:

Ad