You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

tracy123

The best Beer in the world

Just wondering what was the best beer you've ever tasted?

Here's a top 10 from last year, have you tried any of them?

pbeer1_1350212c.jpg

. Beewyched Honey’d Ale, 5%vol, England (£1.57 per 50cl; Morrison, Sainsbury’s, Waitrose). From Wychwood brewery in Oxfordshire (pictured) – the UK’s largest brewer of organic beers – a crisp, refreshing, citrusy brew. Made with Fairtrade honey from Chile, Fairtrade sugar from Malawi and Challenger hops from England, it’s gently honeyed rather than sweet, with hugely appealing notes of dried fruit. Try it with treacle pudding.

2. Lindemans Framboise, 2.5%vol, Belgium (£1.63-£2.05 per 37.5cl; Asda, Booths, Waitrose). The classic Lambic fruit beer, spontaneously fermented then matured in oak with the addition of raspberry. Refreshingly light in alcohol, it’s clean, crisp and delicate, yet it also has a subtle richness backed by fine acidity. It cries out for an accompanying chocolate mousse or – dare I say it? – Black Forest gateau.

3. Floris Passion Fruit, 3.6%vol, Belgium (£1.65 per 33cl; Buy Beer Online at BEERmerchants.com | Belgian Beer | Real Ale 01622 710339). Not the most butch of beers and not one I’d like to be caught drinking by the chaps, but strangely tasty nonetheless. A wheat beer with added passion fruit juice, it’s reminiscent of New Zealand sauvignon blanc on nose and palate, and full of ripe tropical fruit and tangy, zesty acidity.

4. Ruddles Rhubarb Ale, 4.7%vol, England (£1.76 per 50cl; Tesco). I’m not a great fan of rhubarb but I was surprised how much I enjoyed this one time ‘Best Beer’ in the Tesco Beer Challenge. More a summer beer than a winter one, it still has the typical hoppy Ruddles character, but with a bitter-sweet twist and blast of vanilla. It’s subtle, though, rather than overpowering and it goes particularly well with mature cheddar cheese.

5. Triple Karmeliet, 8.4%vol, Belgium (£1.79 per 33cl; Waitrose). Although this is hardly what you might call a session beer, nothing about it hits you too hard, despite its high level of alcohol. A three grain beer (wheat, barley and oats) with a secondary fermentation in bottle, it was recently voted ‘Best Ale’ at the World Beer Awards. Crisp yet creamy, delicate yet full-bodied, it’s a great match for watercress soup.

6. Innis & Gunn Blonde Lightly Oaked Beer, 6%vol, Scotland, (£1.59 per 33cl; Sainsbury’s). Innis & Gunn make cracking brews and their occasional rum cask-matured beer is an all-time favourite (it should be back in Sainsbury’s for Father’s Day in June). This is delicious too: refreshing and fruity with both citrus and vanilla on the palate. Best drunk on its own as a sharpener, it also goes beautifully with moules et frites.

7. Schlenkerla Rauchbier, 5.1%vol, Germany (£2.09-£2.75 per 50cl; Beer & cider from Europe & around the world | Onlyfinebeer, Buy beer, ale and lager online at BeerHere UK delivery Only, Beers of Europe Ltd - 1700 Belgian, German, British and World Beer.). This positively reeks of smoke and is quite unlike anything I’ve had before. It’s deliciously creamy, though, with a touch of sweetness and a nice bitter finish. The other night we drank it alongside smoked trout blinis and the success of the combination stunned us all.

8. Bacchus Kriek, 5.8%vol, Belgium (£2.39 per 37.5; Morrisons, Sainsbury’s, Tesco). I had my doubts about this, causing as it did a sudden flashback of sucking Tunes and Spangles as a child (remember them?), but it slipped down remarkably easily. Fermented cherry juice is added to Belgian brown ale to give a wonderful fresh cherry aroma and flavour which gently fades to leave a full, beery finish. Try it alongside squares of dark chocolate.

9. Brew Dog Paradox Isle of Arran, 10%vol, Scotland (£3.99 per 33cl; Oddbins, Sainsbury’s) Golly, this is good! An acquired taste, maybe, but one that I acquired in seconds. An imperial stout matured in barrels from the Isle of Arran whisky distillery, it’s deep, dark black/brown, rich and full-flavoured, with coffee, chocolate, spice and treacle on the palate. We served it in brandy balloons as a digestif at the end of dinner.

10. Deus, 11.5%vol, Belgium (£12.15 per 75cl; Waitrose). This is a remarkable brew, made in Belgium but treated like champagne with champagne yeast and a secondary fermentation in bottle. It’s also presented in a champagne bottle complete with cork stopper and is sold for a champagne price. But serve it well-chilled in elegant flutes as an aperitif and it suddenly doesn’t seem so pricey, nor so alcoholic. Smooth, creamy and slightly bitter, it’s a great start to a meal.

Kind Regards

Geoffrey (32, an aussie!!), Tracy (35), Jake (7), Jessica (2) & Joseph (1) :jiggy:

There are some nice ones there but you can keep the fruity stuff - I'm glad someone drinks it as I would hate to think of beer having to be poured down the drain, but it is not for me.:wink:

A pint of well-kept Deuchars IPA does the trick nicely. Simple and effective.:biggrin:There are so many good beers to be had though its a shame to have to try and chose the best.

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

I agree with your choice of number 1, Geoffrey. I wish I could get it here but haven't seen anything like it locally. I've tried a few nice real ales with funny names over the years but my favourite is current favourite Cascade Premium from right here in Tas.

The Rhubarb ale sounds interesting.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of star stuff.”

― Carl Sagan, Cosmos

You mention Innes and Gunn on here.... they have a beer that is matured in oak barrels that once produced Wiskey which gives a devine flavour. It is 7% though, but tastes delicious.

Banana bread Beer is another one of my favourites

Let me loose on any ale festival....... these ozzies just dont know the meaning of the word beer. Half the stuff bottled just tastes like coloured mineral water!

Banana Beer is darn nice.

Any of these too...

Badger Mix 16

"An inspirational leader...exceptionally enthusiastic, committed and motivated" OFSTED 2014.

Guest Mr Happy

Any beer from here. The seasonals are very good and the Russian Imperial Stout will blow your head off!:biggrin:

Wig & Pen

Guest Criks

Anyone tried Filly Drift? Or Golden host? All top beers

I agree with your choice of number 1, Geoffrey. I wish I could get it here but haven't seen anything like it locally. I've tried a few nice real ales with funny names over the years but my favourite is current favourite Cascade Premium from right here in Tas.

The Rhubarb ale sounds interesting.

Hell no not my list!!!!

I'm an Aussie, I know nothing about beer! just ask Aldo or Yorkshirepom :biglaugh:

Kind Regards

Geoffrey (32, an aussie!!), Tracy (35), Jake (7), Jessica (2) & Joseph (1) :jiggy:

Guest guest17301

nAUGHTY gEOFFREY...i'D FORGOTTEN ABOUT mORRISONS AMAZING BEER SELECTION, SUCH A VARIETY OF FLAVOURS TO TANTALISE THE TASTEBUDS...NOT LIKE MOST OF THE WEAK AS wATER aUSSIE VARIETY!

nAUGHTY gEOFFREY...i'D FORGOTTEN ABOUT mORRISONS AMAZING BEER SELECTION, SUCH A VARIETY OF FLAVOURS TO TANTALISE THE TASTEBUDS...NOT LIKE MOST OF THE WEAK AS wATER aUSSIE VARIETY!

Tooheys old isnt fi:wink:

"The problem with neo conservative capitalism and it's insatiable greed for more wealth and disparity amongst the populace,is that it ended up being the catalyst for the great depression and modern recession"

Me,tonight:wubclub:

Guest guest17301

Got nothing on some of those mentioned though Pabs....I managed half a kilkenny at the weekend in the worlds worst Irish Bar...that was the best beer I've tasted since we left the UK!

You mention Innes and Gunn on here.... they have a beer that is matured in oak barrels that once produced Wiskey which gives a devine flavour. It is 7% though, but tastes delicious.

Banana bread Beer is another one of my favourites

Let me loose on any ale festival....... these ozzies just dont know the meaning of the word beer. Half the stuff bottled just tastes like coloured mineral water!

Oakwood school beer festival in rotherham was alegend , proper ale , fAVOURITES last rites 11% but unlike a barley wine no strong after taste , igors falling down water , ( does what it says on the tin ) , tetleys imperial luvly pint (only available round leeds. , I used to But the innes and gunne beer was in a small bottle ,nice winter warmer beer . best ever Mallys double chocolate malt brew with fuggles hops , never calculated the strength but had the curiious side efeect of rendering your brain and legs function to be useless

Here at last:jiggy:

SUFC life not a pastime

I limit myself to 2 drinks a day, I`m now 10 years in front make that 15

Emu bitter for pete or as the indigenous people know it as domestic violence

SUFC life not a pastime

Hell no not my list!!!!

I'm an Aussie, I know nothing about beer! just ask Aldo or Yorkshirepom :biglaugh:

LOL I did wonder how you knew but put it down to the time you've lived in England so I was really impressed until you said that :cute:

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of star stuff.”

― Carl Sagan, Cosmos

Guest Mr Happy

Great beers available in Oz if you care to look, just steer clear of the commercial breweries.

Great beers available in Oz if you care to look, just steer clear of the commercial breweries.

most commercial beers made in oz are loosely termed as lawnmower beers,can be tossed down quick on a hot day,this is not to say that they are not real ale because they are .ales are brewed with a yeast that tolerates higher temps which is ideal for commercial brewers in this country,lagers are best with lower temp yeasts.there are a lot of good boutique beers brewed in ozif people care to look. i brew my own:wink:

Guest Mr Happy

'If people care to look' and most don't. Being a member here I've learnt that Brits have become nearly as lazy as Americans, and I never thought I'd see that.

Bit of a sweeping generalisation on the membership there...

Anyway, I was going to ask if you had any recommendations based on what you've found and liked, to share. For example, are we talking real ale or beer? You don't have to say where if you are worried :cute:

― Carl Sagan, Cosmos

Worried you might be helping the lazy or the Americans, I suppose. Take your pick. :smile:

― Carl Sagan, Cosmos

Guest Mr Happy

Both are beyond help, particularly the yanks.

Never heard of any of them lot!Still searching here for something that is acceptable long term for my experienced Beer palate.Most of the regular stuff really is Maidens Water.Just hit on an unexpected gud yun tonight though,and very pleased.Would you believe it!.... Carlsberg from the bottlo!5.0%Alc Vol which is getting there.But lo and behold it is smooth and tasty,with a half decent bit of clout!Only others i have found at the 'offy' are the superb Boags St George(bit dear though,at 50 bucks for 24,and Chang beer(good stuff).In the Alehouse all i do is keep swapping from one to another,cos most of the pops are total crap,all tasting the same ish and weak.The best ploy is to order one of the rarer ones on tap.Bit more expensive but i go out for a good drink,not to sip piiss all night!Unfortunately it usually ends up on the old faithfuls,GnT,Jim Beam n Coke or one of the usual suspects or three!This usually helps one get where one needs to be!:biggrin:

Never heard of any of them lot!Still searching here for something that is acceptable long term for my experienced Beer palate.Most of the regular stuff really is Maidens Water.Just hit on an unexpected gud yun tonight though,and very pleased.Would you believe it!.... Carlsberg from the bottlo!5.0%Alc Vol which is getting there.But lo and behold it is smooth and tasty,with a half decent bit of clout!Only others i have found at the 'offy' are the superb Boags St George(bit dear though,at 50 bucks for 24,and Chang beer(good stuff).In the Alehouse all i do is keep swapping from one to another,cos most of the pops are total crap,all tasting the same ish and weak.The best ploy is to order one of the rarer ones on tap.Bit more expensive but i go out for a good drink,not to sip piiss all night!Unfortunately it usually ends up on the old faithfuls,GnT,Jim Beam n Coke or one of the usual suspects or three!This usually helps one get where one needs to be!:biggrin:

Carlsberg youre takin the piss as well as drinkin it:biglaugh:

SUFC life not a pastime

Carlsberg youre takin the piss as well as drinkin it:biglaugh:
That's what i thought!But it says it all if that's good here.Must be more stringent with the'on licence' thing here,cos in the UK it is mega crap.The Carlsberg Export wasn,t too bad though.BTW Where is the Breaker?:biggrin: