Guest SHARONPEDLEY

Guest SHARONPEDLEY

Hello

Calling all accountants.

I have been told that if I get CPA membership, then I don't have to wait a year whilst I gain my 1 year post qualified experience? I only qualified CIMA in Oct 09 so as I understand it I have to do 1 years post qualification experience then I can apply for a visa.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Sharon

Hello

Calling all accountants.

I have been told that if I get CPA membership, then I don't have to wait a year whilst I gain my 1 year post qualified experience? I only qualified CIMA in Oct 09 so as I understand it I have to do 1 years post qualification experience then I can apply for a visa.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Sharon

Hi Sharon

I have a funny feeling that I may have responded to this on cimasphere but i may be wrong.

I recently joined the CPA via the CIMA MRA. When you complete the membership paperwork you can also complete a skills assessment form which is completed at no extra cost. The letter I received for my skills assessment basically stated that due to my being accepted to membership I had fulfilled the requirements for a positive skills assessment. The only area where there may be a reason that people think you may require a year post qualified is that you are required to have a years practical experience for a role on the SOL. From my research this does not mean post qualified as there are a number of non-qualified graduates with a years experience being granted PR so I would expect your part qualified experience to count toward the experience requirements for points purposes.

Si

Guest SHARONPEDLEY

Hi

Thanks for all your replies.

I have got a postive skills assessment back, so that bit is done.

I spoke to the embassy and they told me that I had to wait until I had 1 years post qual experience before I could apply for a visa. I was wondering if there was anyway around this?

Also to get extra points for experience does this need to be post qualified?, as I've been working as a management accountant for 5 years whilst getting qualified, but now only 5 month post qualified experience.

Thanks

Sharon

Hi

Thanks for all your replies.

I have got a postive skills assessment back, so that bit is done.

I spoke to the embassy and they told me that I had to wait until I had 1 years post qual experience before I could apply for a visa. I was wondering if there was anyway around this?

Also to get extra points for experience does this need to be post qualified?, as I've been working as a management accountant for 5 years whilst getting qualified, but now only 5 month post qualified experience.

Thanks

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

You have the positive skills assessment - as far as I know, you have to meet the "recent work experience requirement" - it does not say "Post qualification work experience"

"You will be awarded points if you have been employed for three (3) of the last four (4) years in an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL).

You must have been employed:

-for at least 20 hours a week

-in a paid position

-at a skilled level in your nominated occupation or in a closely related occupation on the SOL."

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)

My application was lodged within about 4 months of qualifying.

Cheers

Jules

Archived