How long before leaving to request shipping quotes?

crazmook

Hi All,

Just wondering how soon before we leave for Australia I should contact shippers and get them round to quote? Days, weeks, months?

I would be interested in finding out what others did in the same position, thanks.

Also, same question regarding opening an Australian bank account.

Thanks in advance, :biggrin:

Hi we got a sponsor at start of March and have had to move quickly, we started getting quotes 2 weeks ago and have done a deal already and they are moving our goods on 8/4/10, so it would appear to be as quick as you need them they can be there for you. I would add that most companies state their quotes are only valid for 1 or up to 3 months so no point getting one now if you aren't moving until August etc.

We have already signed up for a Westpac Current Account with Debit Cards and an Esaver account, it was very simple, opened within 4 hours of us completing the online form and is open ready for you to send money to, all you have to do is take ID into a branch where you are moving to within 90 days of arrival.

Hope this info is helpful.

Yep - have to agree with Lyn! We are shipping our furniture out mid June and we have just been going through the nightmare that is collecting shipping quotes. The companies told me three months before is the furthest away they will consider and mentioned that many people contact them a month before (My God I think I would've lost the plot if I left it that late :wacko:)

My advice - don't rush into it too early - gotta give yourself time to work up to it :arghh::wink:

Also remember to haggle, we found we got various quotes (6 in total) and waited a week or so and then told them all that we wanted money off the price etc and got what we wanted and with 3 weeks notice before they come and take the stuff. We had quotes ranging from £6500 - £8800 for a 40ft container and insurance ranging from 2.5 - 3.5%, we managed to get the winner down to £6334 and at 1.5% insurance as I had mentioned I got a real quote of 1.5% off the internet and they matched it as it will be a big policy.

If you need tips PM us,

Also remember to haggle, we found we got various quotes (6 in total) and waited a week or so and then told them all that we wanted money off the price etc and got what we wanted and with 3 weeks notice before they come and take the stuff. We had quotes ranging from £6500 - £8800 for a 40ft container and insurance ranging from 2.5 - 3.5%, we managed to get the winner down to £6334 and at 1.5% insurance as I had mentioned I got a real quote of 1.5% off the internet and they matched it as it will be a big policy.

If you need tips PM us,

Wow - d'you wanna come and do my haggling for me????? :biglaugh:

Pretty please?

Archived