Mornington Peninsula, What to expect?

Guest musbury

Guest musbury

Dear All,

I'm new to the forum, we are moving to Oz in 6 months time. My husband has taken a job in Mornington, and we are planning to live in Mt.Eliza or Mt.Martha. Can you please advice me on what Mornington Peninsula is like? As far as I researched online, it looks like a nice place.

Whats Mt.Eliza and Mt.Martha like for housing, schools and shopping? We have a 16month old son and we also need a good nursery for him. We love the English countryside, we like outdoorsy stuff, cafe's, restaurants etc and hoping that Mornington would not disappoint.

Any input would be useful.

TIA.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Tia

Welcome to the forum.

What a wonderful area to get a job in, you really are lucky. You cannot go wrong with either of the three suburbs. Mt Eliza is beautiful and if I had the chance to settle again I would probably choose there. The Mt Eliza Primary school is an excellent school or if you can afford to go private I would highly recommend the Peninsula School, the age ranges from Kinder up to Yr 12. You also have Mt Eliza Secondary College which is probably the best government school out of your chosen areas.

Mornington is a lovely town, you have a mixture of old and new in the housing market, great shops, cafe/bars etc. Again there are some great primary schools around, although the secondary school has a lot to be desired, but you have a while before you need to think of that.

Mt Martha again is lovely, it has always been a place known for retirees as it is quite some distance from the CBD, train line or the main shopping hub of Frankston, plus you have to commute to the secondary schools, so families tend to choose Mornington or Mt Eliza.

You are very fortunate as your OH does not have the commute in to the city so either suburb would be a great choice.

Hello there and welcome.

I think you'll be very impressed with the Peninsula, it is quite beautiful, plenty of outdoor things to do, especially when it involves water. Loads of restaurants and cafes everywhere.

We have lived in Mount Eliza for almost a year now, woodland side, as they say. We chose it for proximity to the train station in Frankston. Also the housing plots are huge and we like the feel of being in the bush. There are plenty of facilities in the Village but I feel it is dominated by an older generation with money.

I really like Mornington, it has a great shopping and cafe culture centre. You'll have no need to go further afield really. it is a town of great expansion - lots of new builds (and Aldi is coming soon)! It can get a little busy in the summer months ( January in particular), but nothing like the scale of things in the UK. It still retains it's charm. There are no 'kiss me quick hats' for sale!

Mount Martha is much smaller and quieter by comparison. only one small supermarket. Bus service is limited - you will need a car for sure. There are a lot of second holiday home owners here and retirees, although further away from the village there are new builds. we stayed for 12 weeks when we first arrived and it was lovely but a bit sleepy.

Regarding housing it all depends which side of the Nepean Highway you live, more expensive bayside. There is a shortage of rental properties. The house prices are rising as a result. with the exchange rate as it is things may seem rather expensive.

Take a good look at Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au

No experience of early childhood education, my youngest is 16.

Try this website: Department of Education and Early Childhood Development - Department of Education and Early Childhood Development

If you can take a short term holiday let when you first arrive you will get the chance to explore fully.

Good luck

Cath

Hi Tia

Welcome to the forum.

What a wonderful area to get a job in, you really are lucky. You cannot go wrong with either of the three suburbs. Mt Eliza is beautiful and if I had the chance to settle again I would probably choose there. The Mt Eliza Primary school is an excellent school or if you can afford to go private I would highly recommend the Peninsula School, the age ranges from Kinder up to Yr 12. You also have Mt Eliza Secondary College which is probably the best government school out of your chosen areas.

Mornington is a lovely town, you have a mixture of old and new in the housing market, great shops, cafe/bars etc. Again there are some great primary schools around, although the secondary school has a lot to be desired, but you have a while before you need to think of that.

Mt Martha again is lovely, it has always been a place known for retirees as it is quite some distance from the CBD, train line or the main shopping hub of Frankston, plus you have to commute to the secondary schools, so families tend to choose Mornington or Mt Eliza.

You are very fortunate as your OH does not have the commute in to the city so either suburb would be a great choice.

Not sure I agree with you regarding Mornington Secondary, especially comparing it to Mount Eliza Secondary.

Guest juliemtaylor

Hi we have been in Mornington only 3 weeks now and love it here! The town has lots of little interesting shops but also the cafes and retail parks for the usual stuff. The houses are a mix of older and brand new.

Our 10 year old goes to Osborne primary in Mt Martha and is so very happy already! Our daughter is 13 and went to look at Mt Eliza and Mornington Sec, she chose Mornington as we all felt it had a better learning environment and the Head went out of her way to show us all round. The facilities are good and they have tried to accommodate her wishes by bending ri=ules so she can do Japanese.

As for shops and houses near Bentons and Osborne, well there are lots of rentals, but bit of a bun fight trying to get one!! we are still trying..

Countryside is lovely and beaches fab.

Julie xx

Guest The Pom Queen
Not sure I agree with you regarding Mornington Secondary, especially comparing it to Mount Eliza Secondary.

In the 6 years that we have been here it has always been known that Mornington Secondary is not the best school on the Peninsula. The results speak for themselves for the last 3 years they have had a study score of 1%, which, when the average government school is 2% is what I would say below average. Mt Eliza has kept a study score of 5% and Frankston HS 8%. People can see for themselves in regards to Mornington Secondary by viewing the NAPLAN Results, all were below average School Profile | ACARA

I don't want to get in to any argument and I understand that there are a lot of people whose children go to Mornington Secondary and I am sure if you have a gifted child they will do well which ever school they attend.

Kate:wubclub:

In the 6 years that we have been here it has always been known that Mornington Secondary is not the best school on the Peninsula. The results speak for themselves for the last 3 years they have had a study score of 1%, which, when the average government school is 2% is what I would say below average. Mt Eliza has kept a study score of 5% and Frankston HS 8%. People can see for themselves in regards to Mornington Secondary by viewing the NAPLAN Results, all were below average School Profile | ACARA

I don't want to get in to any argument and I understand that there are a lot of people whose children go to Mornington Secondary and I am sure if you have a gifted child they will do well which ever school they attend.

Kate:wubclub:

True, the figures speak for themselves, but i can only go on personal experience. My son is doing well there - he is not gifted, but happy - very important when you move a teenager from their familiar surroundings.

Many families in the Mornington area have no intention of sending their kids to University. My son is aware of what he has to do if he wants to take that path.

Anyway I digress. Peninsula would have been the school of choice now - they were oversubscribed at the time.

Cath

Guest The Pom Queen
True, the figures speak for themselves, but i can only go on personal experience. My son is doing well there - he is not gifted, but happy - very important when you move a teenager from their familiar surroundings.

Many families in the Mornington area have no intention of sending their kids to University. My son is aware of what he has to do if he wants to take that path.

Anyway I digress. Peninsula would have been the school of choice now - they were oversubscribed at the time.

Cath

Hi Cath

At the end of the day that is all that matters, if your son is happy then that is the main thing. Results don't mean anything if our children are not happy.

Hugs

Kate

I think Mornington Secondary is fine and know lots of children who are now adults who went there and they are all doing very well for themselves.

Mount Eliza and Mornington are both nice suburbs, I probably prefer Mornington as Mount Eliza shops are a little disjointed in that they are all over the place whereas Morningtons are more like a town.

The gov high schools have a lot of students and not all of them take the VCE route a lot do VCAL so that they can do a trade occupation. They are all ok on the Peninsula. A lot of the schools have Facebook groups so if you belong have a read of the groups pages and get the drift of what the students are like.

Its all about getting children into work and succeeding at that rather than looking at whether they are going to university or not.

Westernport secondary college achieved the highest results in getting school leavers into work and that is a terrific achievement.

I sent my children to private school but if I had my time over I would not bother I believe they would have turned out just the same and if I am really honest I was more worried about bullying than what they were going to learn :laugh:

Guest musbury

Thanks v much, mornington seems like a nice place to be. I should start looking for accomodation, although it could be a bit early I think. We have just applied, so would take a while I think. I cant beleive it's happening! I'm very excited. Can't wait to try the Ozzie way of life.

Are day care centres any good in mornington? I looked up few schools and the peninsula school has something for under 3yr olds called mt.Eliza house. Anyone sent their kids there?

xx

Dear All,

I'm new to the forum, we are moving to Oz in 6 months time. My husband has taken a job in Mornington, and we are planning to live in Mt.Eliza or Mt.Martha. Can you please advice me on what Mornington Peninsula is like? As far as I researched online, it looks like a nice place.

Whats Mt.Eliza and Mt.Martha like for housing, schools and shopping? We have a 16month old son and we also need a good nursery for him. We love the English countryside, we like outdoorsy stuff, cafe's, restaurants etc and hoping that Mornington would not disappoint.

Any input would be useful.

TIA.

hia there x

congratulations what a lovely place to live we would love to live there but just a bit to far down for the commute for my hubby x

we have been here now for 2 months and currently in frankston x

and have twins who are 12 and an 8 year old x

good luck and keep us updated with your plans

love carole x

Guest musbury

Thanks Carole,

Everyone's been really helpfull and saying nice things about Mornington. I'm well excited. Hope it works out well for us. How is Frankston, I heard its good for shopping ;)

xx

Thanks Carole,

Everyone's been really helpfull and saying nice things about Mornington. I'm well excited. Hope it works out well for us. How is Frankston, I heard its good for shopping ;)

xx

hia

you should be excited mornington is luvly xxxxx it will work out for guys you have just got to go for it !!!! frankston is really good i am happy XXX send me a pm !!! as i am useless at keeping up on posts on here xxx when are you coming over x

love carole x

• 3 years later...
hia

you should be excited mornington is luvly xxxxx it will work out for guys you have just got to go for it !!!! frankston is really good i am happy XXX send me a pm !!! as i am useless at keeping up on posts on here xxx when are you coming over x

love carole x

This isnt a comment from the above quote, its just a comment in general.

I have researched schools in Melbourne and on the Mornington Peninsula extensively. I am also a secondary school teacher in Melbourne. With a daughter in grade 5, and having gone to a lot of tours and researched results, these are my findings:

The best state school as far as results go is Frankston High School. Good for both sport and music, if you dont live in the catchment area you have to apply for special consideration eg you child is a state swimmer or is doing 5th/6th grade on an instrument etc

Mornington and Mt Eliza struggle to get good results, the former more than the latter. As another poster said, university is not foremost on parents minds in these places, and the results suffer accordingly.

The best 'budget' private school is Flinders Christian Community College in Tyabb. Year 10 is close to $6000 AUD a year just for fees but results-wise you get a lot of bang for your buck. Hard to get into however, because of demand for places, and interview, school results, and an academic test are all standard for a place. You must portray a good work ethic to get in. Heavily Christian. Even though Flinders costs more, it is worth the money compared to Balcombe Grammar (Mount Martha) and Padua (Mornington).

I found the students at The Peninsula School (mt Eliza) to be quite snobby and stuck up. Toorak similar. Toorak for girls (mount Eliza) gets the best results out of all the expensive ($20K+) private schools but you must have the right jeans / horse float etc.

Woodleigh (Baxter) gets good results for the 20K but no uniform and if your child isnt self-motivated they may struggle to realise their potential.

The myschool website gives information regarding naplan results which put peninsula schools lower down the list compared with schools in Metropolitan Melbourne. For this reason, I have explored Haileybury Girls (there is a boys as well) 20K+ at Keysborough - dont worry there is a school bus from south of Mount Martha, Cornish College (14k) at Bangholme (bus from Frankston available), Mentone Girls Secondary and Mentone Girls Grammar (train from Frankston). All of these schools score very well and many of their students aspire to university which in turn raises the expectations of possible outcomes for students, teachers and parents alike.

Teh other concern for peninsula school is the phenomenon called "peninsularisation". So many students down here, go to school her, marry their childhood sweetheart, stay down here and never escape. Its a big wide world out there and for some it can be scary to leave.

Well I hoped this will help someone make a decision or inspire them to explore different schools.

Mish

If you want Frankston High School you do have to live in the area, have not heard of anyone getting in otherwise. They are very very strict on placements there. As for Mount Eliza and Mornington and other schools you say have lower results, there are also a lot of children who do very well at these schools and go to university and do very well. I know some of them. So you cannot just send the children to scholl for the results.

I sent my two to Flinders College and we they were happy there but then they went to top Tyabb Primary which is across the road. So they just went from one corner to the next. Flinders is big on debating. My daughter took music to grade 7 independently for both violin and piano and the Peninsula has a lot of young people who are playing music. They have the Peninsula Youth Orchestra which my daughter used to play in for years.

Peninsula and Toorak have scholarships and they are highly sought after and there is a lot of competition for them.

I did not send my children to Flinders for the results I sent them there because it was close to where we live and we could afford it and some of their friends from primary school were going there. As we live not far away my son rode his bike to school.

Fllnders also has a Carrum Campus but that is probably just as hard to get into.

When my children went to Flinders I had their names down for about four years.

Thanks for your comments Petals, I love a robust debate and I'm very passionate about education. You must have very talented children (eg grade 7 music etc).

Just to clarify a few of your points though, I acknowledge results arent everything for everybody, BUT they are an important part of the picture for some, including me, and Im just giving my viewpoint. Also, I have been helped on other forums by people giving their opinions which I found very helpful.

Re Frankston High School: I know from personal experience that students have been accepted there from outside the area. Its called, once again, "special consideration". My own daughter has been accepted because of her music level and we live 30 km away. She is doing grade 5 and is 11. She also plays with Melbourne Youth Music. So now you have heard that this is so (as I said last time).

Re mt eliza and mornington sec: I dont "say" they have lower results, they actually do get lower results, look it up on VCE scores/naplan. Yes of course some students do well in these schools, but there always are some that will do well anywhere, just as there are low performing students in the other schools I mentioned. Obviously, all things being equal, the population has a certain percentage in each quarter, but the schools I recommended for whatever reason, have more students in the upper quarters, also for whatever reason - a topic for another discussion perhaps.

You can send a child to a school just because of results alone, but that would be a bit silly wouldnt it? Results are important to me, but not so much to you, and that's OK. I would just like my child to reach his/her full potential ( its that quartile thing again) as well as choose a school that suits them. Obviously I cant comment on anyone else's children only my own and my own experiences.

Scholarships for Toorak and the like are fiercely competitive, I agree, and why? Partly because they get good results!

Its great your children got into flinders but I notice you were talking about primary school. At one primary school I taught at, it was distressing to see many grade 6 kids from a state school on the peninsula not get a place for year 7 at Flinders when they were expecting to. I think that that year there were 800 applications and only 150 spots? Ridiculous competition, but that's a testament to results vs fees (bang for your buck) that I was saying in my previous post.

Anyway Petals, sorry to 'dis' you but just giving a bit back and hopefully someone will benefit.

Cheers

Mish

Much easier to just buy a house in the Frankston High area like my sons friends have done. No pressure for their child, just moving house.

I agree, that would be so much easier.

I do worry about the stigma of Frankston though (to other Melbournites). When my daughter was at a combined Australian Youth Choir rehearsal (incorporating sub venues from Frankston, Traralgon, Doncaster, etc etc), she was happily chatting away to a girl in the choir from another sub region for a while. All was going well, until the girl asked my daughter which venue she attended rehearsals. When she replied "Frankston", the girl slowly edged away and didnt talk to her any more!!! It seems that people dont realise that although there are some undesirables in the Frankston area, especially Franskton North, parts of Frankston and also Frankston South are good areas. Hard to shake the stigma of an area, I get bad comments about Frankston in jokes at work too!

• 5 years later...

The Mornington Peninsula has great schools. Mt Eliza has the most British immigrants living in the suburb on any suburb. The Mornington Peninsula is also renowned for it being popular with english migrants with 12% of the population being UK born. Mt Eliza is the most liveable suburb in the area also with the best schools. 

Peninsula Grammar in Mt Eliza is an excellent school with great staff and high achieving students. The facilities are also very modern and the campus is very expansive. Peninsula Grammar is one of the top 50 private schools in Melbourne for VCE performance and was ranked 42nd in the state. The primary school is also one of the highest performing in Mt Eliza.

Toorak College is one of the top 50 schools in Melbourne for VCE and academic performance. The school was even ranked 30th in the state for VCE performance since 2014. The school is renowned for excellence in teaching and the students are very high achievers. Toorak College also has modern facilities with the new Science and Technology Centre coming in 2018. The primary school is also ranked 25th in Melbourne being the most highly ranked school in Mt Eliza.

Nearby Padua on the border of the suburb is also the 6th largest school in Victoria with 3 campuses across the peninsula. Good teachers with modern facilities and expansion. Padua College has a newly built 2018 Year 10-12 Learning Centre. The school has also undergone extensive renovation in the past year. A Performing Arts Centre, dedicated STEAM Learning Centre and an additional Year 10-12 Learning Centre are also coming soon.

Mt Eliza Primary School is also a great school with caring teachers and friendly students. The school has also been recently renovated with an additional $2,940,000 funding for modern school buildings to be built by early 2019. The tree-lined campus is also really beautiful! Mt Eliza Primary School is definitely up there with nearby Peninsula Grammar and Toorak College.

Mt Eliza north primary also has many amenities with a large campus in the Woodlands area. 

Kunyung Primary School is also particularly popular with a bay-view and beach frontage on one of the most popular streets in Australia. Kim Jackson is excellent and they are a model school for the IB program, known internationally which is very impressive. Similarly, St Thomas More Primary has an amazing view of the bay and city skyline along with the Dandenong ranges. The school is great with a new early learning centre on the campus. Students are friendly and teaches are great.

Mornington Primary School is also newly built and expanded with modern facilities including a multipurpose hall/gym and arts centre.  new atrium and library connecting all wings of the new building. The new buildings also include various indoor and outdoor learning spaces (outdoor including shade sails and large decks). New music rooms, arts centre and canteen. 

Balcombe Grammar School is the newest school in the area with great teaches and really modern facilities. The new senior centre is also due for completion in 2019. 

There really are awesome schools on the Mornington Peninsula with some serious growth.