Rip off flights???

Guest Chrissy

Guest Chrissy

Hi does anyone know out there why it is so expensive to book a flight away from this place? Want to go home to see family this xmas on holiday but the flights are so expensive. Looking on Singapore Airlines website this morning;

Brisbane to London return 11 Dec to 2 Jan 2 adults 1 child 1 infant $7683.06 (£ 4684.79) :sad:

London to Brisbane return same dates and details £ 3653.20

This seems alittle suspect to me!

Why is everything so bloody expensive here. When I lived in UK we heard a lot about rip off Britain.......nothing to here!

:swoon:Isnt Christmas the most expensive time to book surely thats when the most people what to travel thus boosting the prices.

Just checked with Sinapore coming the other way London to Brisbane £4200 so the same you are not being ripped off.

The same flights in June would be about half of that.:wubclub:

Guest proud2beaussie

There are various reasons why flights ex Australia are higher but the basic reason is because that's what the market will put up with,it's not 'suspect" at all,it's supply and demand.

Unfortunately people pay,have paid,and always will pay higher fares ex Australia until the international air services commission grants more airlines the power to fly into Australia then the situation is not going to get a whole lot better.

Guest Chrissy

Cheers for that, do the airlines have any sales coming up soon do you know? I would just like to get the ball rolling as I am having bit of an "off" day.

Guest Chrissy
:swoon:Isnt Christmas the most expensive time to book surely thats when the most people what to travel thus boosting the prices.

Just checked with Sinapore coming the other way London to Brisbane £4200 so the same you are not being ripped off.

The same flights in June would be about half of that.:wubclub:

Thanks for your reply, I do realise the flights will be more expensive then, of course, but thats when I need to travel , thats all. Just a bit fed up with things being dear here really.

I would be surprised to get flights for half that price in June tho!

Guest proud2beaussie

Airlines have sales all the time but it's unlikely that you will find a sale that includes travel at that time of the year as it is peak season,all I can suggest is that you consider changing your planned travel dates if that is possible-check out my post on this thread for travel season dates -

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/81529-cheapest-time-look-flights-uk.html

and I also suggest you sign up for the aiirlines sale newsletters,Singapore Airlines is at

Singapore Airlines

and Qantas is Book - E-mail Subscription - Australia and there are others.

If budget is a concern you could consider flying with Air Asia from the Gold Coast to Stansted via Kuala Lumpur but they are a low cost carrier and if you want a reasonably comfortable seat I don't recommend them-but they are cheap.

Cheers

Guest guest36187

Christmas is height of Summer here in Oz so that is another reason flights are so dear.

I have jsut booked flights from Brissie-Melbourne ; Melbourne - Perth; Perth - Brissie. That was for APril/May! That was dear enough and Im not leaving the country!!

Guest chris955

Flights from this end have always been more expensive, even going back 20 years when we were regular flyers. We used to be able to buy our flights from the UK because of the big price difference but they put a stop to that.

Guest Chrissy
Flights from this end have always been more expensive, even going back 20 years when we were regular flyers. We used to be able to buy our flights from the UK because of the big price difference but they put a stop to that.

Thanks, thats all I am saying.

Same airline, same destinations, same bums on seats, same fuel.....dearer booking in aus tho.

I used to be travel agent for 6 years in London, those are high season dates ( ex UK anyway ) but booking this now, in march would not have been more than GBP1000. Ok taxes have risen since I last did that job.

I was looking to go back end of June ( should I still be here that is!).... and quite simply was shocked. $2800+ !!!!!!!! Thats 1700 quid!

Guest chris955

I am right in saying it is a one way flight aren't I ? It should be less than half that I would have thought.

Thanks, thats all I am saying.

Same airline, same destinations, same bums on seats, same fuel.....dearer booking in aus tho.

With you mate same here we looked at perth uk 715 quid uk perth 1155 quid perth uk sorry Noz same flights same days stop talkin business bollox same airports so same taxes no excuse

Is there any way you can book your Australia to Uk return flights from a UK based company even though the flights start from Australia? It does seem cheaper on the UK websites for comparable flights!!

Try ebookers mate lokk at my previous post its the old aussie rip off again

Have you tried Flightcentre or STA travel as they usually have fares return to the uk from around $2500 incl taxes. I have been payin gthose sort of prices on wait list for years. I still think of the one way from Gatwick via bali to Adelaide with Garuda in 1999 for 299 pounds including tax before thay put the dep taxes up in the uk.

Guest christoff

Try China airlines.We are looking to fly to aus at Christmas an the price that came up wa £3000 for a family !!!!!

Guest Jules2

So do you think it's a good idea to initially get a return flight to Oz (instead of your usual one way to emigrate) but with a year until the return date.

At least that way you could always come back once a year and simply re-book another Uk departure return flight to Oz at a far more affordable rate. Seems by far the cheaper way to do it.

Obviously assuming you would come back once a year!!

There are various reasons why flights ex Australia are higher but the basic reason is because that's what the market will put up with,it's not 'suspect" at all,it's supply and demand.

Unfortunately people pay,have paid,and always will pay higher fares ex Australia until the international air services commission grants more airlines the power to fly into Australia then the situation is not going to get a whole lot better.

Have a Christmas in June with your family!

Flights ex Australia actually are at record lows, they used to be relatively more expensive years ago. Try companies like flight centre and you will see airfares for around $2500 return to the uk and the most you should be paying is $3000 economy. Are you sure singapore airlines didn't quote you business for $7000

• 2 weeks later...
Flights ex Australia actually are at record lows, they used to be relatively more expensive years ago. Try companies like flight centre and you will see airfares for around $2500 return to the uk and the most you should be paying is $3000 economy. Are you sure singapore airlines didn't quote you business for $7000

$3000 economy. Is that a joke? You get premium economy ex UK for that kind of cash. The title of this thread is v correct, unless you are going budget internally or to NZ / S.E Asia, is costs a kings ransom to go anywhere. Supply on demand and a captured audience, that is what it is.

I have seen some promotions out for around $2.2k, getting better, but if airlines had this pricing policy in the UK they wold run empty, agents would just laugh! A promotional fare should be in the region of $1500 ( and I'm talking about the top carriers, not the chinese stuff) And just to make it fair I converted that at a rate of $2 to a pound... which we will not see for a while.

have u not looked into a one way ticket with air asia then buy a flight from uk [ return] its prob as cheap and u will have a return ticket back to uk, hope u understand this lol

I know they offer some pretty decent fares. Shame about the very long wait in KUL.

Guest sydneyscouser

just thought i would put my experience here.

moved over to australia april 2009. used to fly over here before that about twice a year, so was used to the prices of airfares.

i have been trying to book a return flight to uk for some time now but the prices are incredible.

today for instance using uk flight site www.expedia.co.uk i put in for sydney to manchester, return, 19th june to 16th july. i put the same dates in for the same flight with the same airline, but from manchester to sydney. it is the same distance and the same flights. same amount of fuel and using the same airports.

the flight to uk is 1780 uk pounds!!

the same flight but to sydney is 807 uk pounds!!

there is no reason for this except australians are going to continually get ripped off unless you complainabout it.

i suggest you follow my lead and bring it to the attention of channel 9's "a current affair" programme - ACA > Your Feedback

sydney to manchester

Roundtrip: £1,780.46 21:10 Depart Sydney (SYD)

Arrive Manchester (MAN) 12:25 +1 day Sat 19-Jun

Duration: 24hr 15mn Emirates 413 / 17Connect in Dubai (Dubai Intl.)

spaceit.gif

21:00 Depart Manchester (MAN)

Arrive Sydney (SYD) 07:45 +2 days Fri 16-Jul

Duration: 25hr 45mn Emirates 20 / 418Connect in Dubai (Dubai Intl.)

Total stops: 2

manchester to sydney

Roundtrip: £807.46 - Expedia Special Fare 21:00 Depart Manchester (MAN)

Arrive Sydney (SYD) 07:45 +2 days Sat 19-Jun

Duration: 25hr 45mn Emirates 20 / 418Connect in Dubai (Dubai Intl.)

spaceit.gif

18:45 Depart Sydney (SYD)

Arrive Manchester (MAN) 12:25 +1 day Fri 16-Jul

Duration: 26hr 40mn Emirates 419 / 17Connect in Dubai (Dubai Intl.)

Archived